The Firearms Forum banner

Reloading 9 mm?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wmabesore 
#1 ·
I shot six of my new reloads on my P95, two failed to chamber. I had to manually rack them. I loaded all six, shot two no problem, then the failure, then two more and the second failure. I am glad that I tested before loading more. I am using 4 grns Bullseye and Winchester primers. I seated them and checked with calipers to make sure they were the same as my purchased loads. I am shooting 115 grn round nose. Any ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
Folks probably need a bit more info. FMJ, lead, plated? To what OAL? Did they fit into your case gauge or did you use the barrel to verify they fit before going to the range? Where in the load range does 4 grns Bullseye fall?

If they failed to cycle fully (too weak a load) that could cause your symptoms.

#3 · (Edited)
Off the top of my head it seems that you're pretty close to a starting load, bump up the charge a bit. You are doing things exactly right! Start charge and work your way up is the smart reloaders way of approaching the hobby. Good luck!

PS just checked my speer data and starting gr is 4.7 bullseye under 115gr bullet, I'd say thats your problem

#4 ·
Besides the powder charge stated above which can essentially cause cycling problems, when you check your finished rounds with calibers, are you checking diameter at the mouth of the case? If you are not crimping the case enough, it can cause it to be too tight in the chamber and cause feed jams.

Check against a factory loaded round as well as the data in the book. Most books give a dimension that is the MAXIMUM dia, not required dia.

On my .45's, if i crimp to .473 (book dia.) rounds will chamber fine in my worn out GI gun, but jam consistantly in my newer gun. .4715 will feed flawlessly.

#6 ·
whats your process,you stated you miked rounds but did you chk case length.i have been reloading for years and have found that even new cases need to be trimmed.i also champher each case before loading.as has been states previously there are many things to chk before you have a good round,just go over it again and im sure youll find out your problem. old semperfi

#7 ·
alliants web site lists 115 g gdhp with 4.7g bullseye as max load. reduce by 10% for start load
This is a great lesson for all as to why we need multiple sources of data...

#8 ·
Attention needs to be paid as to wether you are loading cast lead, or jacketed (someone said this above)

Load data differs Max load for GDHP is a fair amount more than max load for a 120g cast lead RN.

My book shows starting load at 3.4g and max of 4.2g (V:1175 fps) for a 120g RN lead.

4.3g would be HOT for that bullet

You need to match your bullet with your data

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.