Reloading + Air Travel?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Claudius Valarium, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    The thought occurred to me.

Let's say that you are traveling by air. As now required, you go through the security check points in the airports. For whatever reason, you are pulled aside and they take a swab / swipe of your carry-on luggage handle. There is residue of gunpowder from your reloading session the night before on the handle. I guess you are in a heap-o-trouble. And, you didn't do anything wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I know I wash my hands after a reloading session, but now I wonder if that gets all the powder residue off.
  2. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    You're not in a heap of trouble for that, unless the TSA agents find something illegal in your luggage. You will end up going through some additional screening and may have to explain why you have the powder residue on your hands but that would be it.
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just flew from UK to US and back, going through about 3 security checks each way. They did a random frisk in the UK. The only time I got anything swabed was a random check of my laptop in Minneapolis. I had no problems at all. I was wearing the jacket I shoot in, and I've shot .22, .223, gallery rifle and black powder. :eek:

I suppose if that didn't set off their sniffers freshly washed hands after a reloading session wouldn't set off alarms. I don't know just how sensitive those swabs are. Someone else can run with that one.
  4. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

Yeah, I was thinking there might be a setting on the detectors that accounts for some residual. But, don't really know.
  5. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Have been swabbed and sniffed multiple times at my home airport which shall remain nameless lest TSA think their very very expensive technology is not working, often with the save clothes and usually always the same shoes( I have a pair of Asolo boots that fit like a glove and I would wear to church if my wife would let me) and NEVER got a second look or sniff .
    On an occasion or two I have been in the reloading room and cleaned up or moved some components about literally hours before heading to the airport, NADA, NOTHING, ZIP in terms of ringing the alarms.
    Maybe just lucky.
    YMMV

Gary
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have rubbed powder on my hands and went to the airport. Nothing at all.
  7. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll drop this one into my don't-worry-about-it bag.