Reloading Bench Ideas

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/10/02 12:09:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Reloading Bench Ideas
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, the good news is that I can rent a garage from my apartment complex to use as a "workshop" (and it has electric in it!). It won't be very comfortable in July, but what the heck?

So, now that I have the space, I need to come up with the right reloading bench for the situation. I'm somewhere between building one from scratch with 4x4's and plywood, buying an old beat-up desk from Salvation Army, and buying a "workbench" from Home Depot or something similiar. What do y'all suggest? Please keep in mind, I need to keep it a little bit moveable, since I'm a renter.

Thanks for any input!

AGunguy
    (1/10/02 12:27:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reloading Bench Ideas
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've built a few benches in my past, and I recommend using stove bolts washers and nuts to hold the main frame together. There's a lot of stress put on the benches with the pressure applied to the press.

If you are in a rental garage, I would keep it secret what you've got in there, and never leave any firearms in that area.
    You'll become a number one rip off target if the wrong people know what you've got inside. Besides, the powder could be a liability because of its explosive nature in the wrong hands. I would have some plan on safely storing that stuff. Wouldn't hurt to have some water on hand or a fire extinguisher.

Does your rental have a side door you can enter through? Are the doors security capable to keep the wrong people out?

Lots of things to consider here being its a rental.

Good luck on whatever you do.

GG

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/10/02 1:09:22 am)
    Yep, I plan on being pretty quiet as to what is set up in there, and I do not anticipate any firearms will *ever* enter that area unless they are concealed on my body.

I'm quite sure the apt. complex would pee blood if they thought I had gunpowder and primers in there.

I already have a fire extinguisher and a metal locking cabinet to store the powder and primers in.

No side doors, the only door at all is an electric garage door, and I reckon it might elicit some strange responses from the neighbors when i open it, walk into it, and close it --- without walking out. Oh well, it is my workshop. I'll also have a table saw and radial arm saw in there to sooth their worries.

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/10/02 7:42:58 am)
    GG made some good points. Another point I'd make is, keep in mind the "lever" action involved and that you don't want your bench rocking.
    Last but not least... you may consider "renters" insurance.
    The potential for a liability claim is greater with explosives

Xracer
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/10/02 4:57:37 pm)
    You'll also probably want to get one of those "drop from the ceiling" flourescent light fixtures and a swivel stool with a back on it.

What're you gonna do about ventilation? Gonna get pretty damn hot and stuffy in there in the summer....and powder should be stored in a cool, dry, place.

shooter22
    (1/10/02 6:49:16 pm)
    I bought a pre cut, drilled, measured kit from Home depot or other similar place for less than $50. I have two presses on it and plenty of room.

tuckerd1
    (1/10/02 7:52:10 pm)
    Decide what height you like to work at. I have a RCBS rockchucker set at 32", but it is only comfortable using it while sitting in a chair. I have a Dillon 550 on a Dillon strong mount on a 32" bench with overall height 40". It is comfortable standing or sitting on a barstool. I like the 40" height much more.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/02 8:44:32 pm)
    I have found from personal experience imho that if you are going to stand up to reload the working surface should be at your waist level.