Reloading Dies and weather

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by getgot, May 21, 2012.

1. getgot

getgot New Member

Due to downsizing to a smaller home, I will be reloading ammo in an out building instead in a totally controlled climate inside the main house. The out building will be our of the direct weather but probably not heated and cooled all the time.

1. How do loading dies fair when left in the out building without constant temperature and humidity controls?
    2. What to use to lubricate dies if needed?

i have all RCBS dies and plan to build a loading table with press and other items attached. Probably will keep all my primers and different powders in a closet inside the main house.

3. How well do powder dispensers perform in humid conditions when I am loading in the out building? I use a Lyman Dispenser.

Any other issues I should or should not be concerned with.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Thin coat of wd or lithium grease will keep you rust free
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

get dot i got that issue here , a tin shed below a escarpment that catches rain

hot one day wet the next

everything started going brown fast! so i spent a day oiling everything ,

i use SBGO but i'm biased ..

i had a mini lathe in storage just wrapped in there and missed it , i got a job bringing that back ..
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

not WD !! it melts off , evaporates leaves area's unprotected

lithium grease will do the job way better ..
  5. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I only use wd when its dry and we have a freak storm that spikes the humidity
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

No WD40. As already mentioned, it'll evaporate and then you've got no protection.

You could use any good gun oil and degrease them before use with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. When you're done, oil em back up again.

I still have a couple cans of Midway's Rust Guard (before it got the Tipton label and eventually discontinued) left that I use for long term storage. It leaves a nice greasy film on dies and parts and flushes of easily with methanol/ethanol-based carb cleaners.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/248829/tipton-rust-guard-rust-preventative-6-oz-aerosol

I know a few guys that use the Shooter's Choice rust guard product and they like it.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...e-and-lubricant-6-oz-aerosol?cm_vc=S016130372
  7. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

My dies are kept in sealed containers the garage (components inside, though). I give mine a light wipe down with Ballistol every few months, but nothing else (unless the dies need cleaned).
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have been using an out building for several years. I have a couple of small window AC units that I turn on in the summer and a space heater in the winter so there is no climate control out there except what nature provides.

I leave my reloading equipment including the dies out there. I intend to spray a thin coat of WD40 on them but don't always make it. I really don't have any major problems with the dies. The primers are left out there in sealed ammo cans. The powder is maintained in the house and I only take out what I am loading with at any given time..
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i keep all my dies and brass in ziplock bags. i even keep my individual 1# powder cans and boxes of primer in ziplock bags...