reloading equipment sugestions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by covert_kimber, Aug 24, 2008.

1. covert_kimber

covert_kimber New Member

reloading equipment suggestions / input

I just purchased a Hornady L n L AP. I need a few more things. Let me tell you what I'm looking at and ya'll (yes, Im southern) please give me your input

Case Trimmer - I'm looking at the Sinclair/Wilson Trimmer. Here's the link. http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=05-475&type=store
    Has anyone used it? What do ya'll think? Will it do (w/ accessories) trim, chamfer, debur, clean primer pockets and remove military crimps? I know I could ask them but I'm sure they would just tell me what I wanted to hear instead of what I need to hear

Scale - RCBS Rangemaster 750 or the RCBS 1010

Tumbler - Lyman 1200 w/ auto-flo

I'm looking forward to hearing from all you experts!!! Thanks guys and I hope you always shoot straight.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

On the case trimmer...
    I have a Forster which is similar to the Sinclair, but a little different. Works great, and yes if you have all the attachments you should be able to do everything on your list.
    I usually use it only for calibers that I don't reload for that often.
    Most of my trimming for the calibers I use frequently I actually do with those little Lee case trimmers. One cutter with interchangeable pilots for each cartridge and a shellholder for each case head family. A great little setup that lives in my portable reloading kit.

On the scales...
    I've got a PACT Precision (the 1500gr capacity one).
    I'm pretty sure that the RCBS Rangemaster750 is still the PACT BBK2 in a different case...either one of those two will treat ya good for a starter digital scale.
    If you think you might want to eventually upgrade to one of those automated powder dispensers, then look at the RCBS Chargemaster or the PACT Precision that you can add the powered dispenser to later on.
    The RCBS 1010 beam scale is a great unit...a little high priced for a beam scale nowadays that good digitals are cheap. The 505 would be adequate too and is quite a bit cheaper.
    I've got a couple of Redding beam scales that seldom get used anymore since I went digital.

Tumbler...I know a couple guys with the Lyman 600 or 1200. Good solid unit.
  3. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

The Wilson trimmer is great for rifle cartridges, but with straight wall pistol cartridges, it is not as easy to use as the Lee system. The original Wilson shell holders for straight wall pistol cartridges required practically driving the case into and out of the holder. The newer Q type holders are a little easier, but the Lee system is truly drop-dead easy. The main advantage to the Wilson trimmer is complete adjustability of trim length; the Lee trimmers are fixed length.

Andy
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have to agree with Bindernut and BigJake on the little Lee case trimmers. They are great, very easy to use, they are caliber specific, and less than $4 apeice. I have one for every caliber I reload (except 204, only because they don't make them in .204). I have never used any other kind of trimmer. Lee also make a chamfer/deburing tool afor about $3. Check midwayusa.com for the lee tools.

For chamfer, deburing, removing military crimps, cleaning primer pockets and so forth, I have seen a great little RCBS electric set up (I think it is called the case prep center). I do not have one, but my local gunshop has one that they use for reloading the ammo they sell. They have let me use it a couple of times for removing military crimps and I really like it. Been thinking about getting one but they are about a hundred bucks. I can use my lee tools alot for that much.

For the powder scale, I have a rangemaster 750 and really like it, although it does wander a little if you leave a charge on it a while. I also have a Hornady magnetic "beam type" scale as a backup.

I also have the Lyman tumbler. I started out about 30 years ago with a little rock tumbler that I used for many years. I bought a Lyman 500 tumbler and after about 15 years the thing stopped vibrating so I ordered the 1200 base directly from Lyman and have been using that for a couple of years.
  5. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

if you are loading straight wall pistol you dont need to trim cases
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I suggest you go with the RCBS chargemaster 1500 scale that way you can upgrade by adding the chargemaster dispenser as that works excellent. I got one this spring and love the way it works. I got the scale a couple of years ago and it is works great so was able to upgrade.