1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Reloading for 11X52R Dutch Beaumont

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by USMCSpeedy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I'm thinking of reloading for this. I have looked all over the net for info. I found where I can dies and the rest of the stuff to do it. According to a few places I've looked I should be able to load these with smokeless powder instead of BP using load info for 45/70 Springfield Trapdoor models as the case volume is similar and it creates pressures in the correct range. If I do this its going to leave ALOT of empty space in the case. I've read that with BP air space is a no no. My question is this, would I need to used some kind of filler doing this? I'd imagine that the Trapdoor loads would have the same issue but there are no notes or such in any of my reloading manuals. Can anyone give me any advice on this? I love to shoot my old Beaumont but cleanning up after the BP cartridges is a pain.
  2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nada, BP fills the cases in the handloads I make for my original 1884 Springfield carbine using 405gr bullets.
  3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I was meaning that the smokeless powder loads for the Trapdoor wouldn't fill the case. Example from my Lyman 47th using a 405gr jacketed SP using IMR-3031 says 34 to 39gr. The same bullet has a listing or 11 to 15gr of Unique. Neither of these has says anything about a wad or any type of filler.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Usually you dont need fillers. the smokeless will ignite and burn just the same. I would use IMR trailboss. fill 10 cases by volume to where the bottom of the bullet would seat to and then weigh the charges. then take an average and reduce that average by 10%. that will give you a light low pressure load that wont destroy your beaumont or your face and isnt a pain to clean up.
  5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Thanks JLA. I'll look into that. It sounds like a reasonable way to start.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The loads will be quite light compared to BP beaumont loads. I dont recommend compressing Trailboss, it has a tendency to spike with very little compression. I had a primer pocket blow out on .30-06 with it under a 110 grain bullet. the load was very light recoiling and not very loud, but I had to pound the bolt open and the case was ruined. First and only time I ever had a light load go hot on me and it was becasue I loaded it at max and seated the bullet too deep.

Thats why I say to back off 10% and just be happy. that will put the load at 90% density, which is the comfort zone for trailboss anyway. And your shoulder will thank you too. ;)

Good luck!
  7. klw

klw New Member

I used Ballisti-Cast bullet 990-5 cast from pure lead and 25 grains of 5744. Also used the same bullet cast from linotype and 55 grains of Black Canyon Powder. That was an early blackpowder substitute.
  8. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Well I went and loaded for my Beaumont this weekend. 50-90 Sharps brass cut down and sized with a 3 die set from CH-4D, Oregon Trail 350gr laser cast bullets sized to .457 and 35gr of IMR 3031 is what it ended up liking. I started at 29.5gr and went up to 37 in .5gr jumps in a ladder test and had a good group in the 5 rounds from from 33.5gr to 35.5gr. No signs of overpressure on the rifle or cases anywhere during the test but I did see some signs that the case wan't expanding and sealing the chamber correctly until I got to 32gr. I like shooting this old rifle and being able to load smokeless is going to save me a bunch of time in the cleanup department. Here's a pic of my completed rounds.

Attached Files: