Reloading for 45/70

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by slk, Feb 25, 2010.

1. slk

slk New Member

Ok guys this cartarige is new to me as I have never reloaded anything this big. I do all of my 30 06 and 7 mil and so forth, so I am not quite a greenhorn, but I am with this one.

I will be shooting a replica 1874 Sharps in 45/70 with a 34" barrel

Do any of you here have any good info you could pass along to me for this round.......Powder(not black powder),bullet cast or jacketed,

If you know of a good site that has this info please let me know also.

Thanks
    Steve
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

A nearly-full case of Pyrodex RS powder (compressed) with a 405 grain cast lead bullet of your choice. Accurate, hits with authority, and fun.

For a mild smokeless load, I like 24 grains of 2400 powder with a 320 grain gas check lead bullet. I use a small wad of dacron with keep the powder in place. This is my shoot-all-day range load with my Ruger #1 rifle. Your Sharps would hardly jump firing this load.
  4. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

If using Pyrodex your gun must be cleaned just like with REAL Black powder. Fired cases need to be deprimed & washed also,,,, Pydrodex fouling WILL rust steel & damage brass.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My 45/70 is an H&R Handi Rifle. I have loaded three different loads for mine and my records show that all are accurate.

# 1 - 300 grain Hornady HP being pushed by 35.5 grains of Accurate 5744 powder. This is my deer hunting load.

# 2 - 350 Grain Berry's Bullets RNFT pushed by 48.2 grains of IMR 4064. Mostly paper shooting

# 3 - 340 Grain Cast RNFT pushed by 49.2 grains of IMR 4064. Mostly paper shooting

I have tried the 405 grain bullets and just did not like them. It was kind of like lobbing a rock at something down range.
  6. sewerman

sewerman New Member

using a 405gr lead bullet no gas check with 43-45 grs varget.

acceptable CUP pressures and velocity......about 1400fps.

i have read of folks using IMR 3031, RL#7 and even trail boss.

hope this helps.....

sewerman
  7. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Your 1874 Sharps is a relatively weak action. Do NOT use loads intended for the Marlin 1895 or Ruger No. 1 in it.
    Maximum loads should be considered as no more than 18,000 Copper Units of Pressure (CUP). It would be best to stay well under that.
    I have a Marlin 1895, and a reproduction 1873 Springfield "trapdoor," both purchased in 1977.
    A good load for my Springfield has been the Lyman 457193 flatpoint cast bullet, which is about 420 grains when cast of wheelweights or equivalent. I load this over 37.0 grains of IMR3031. I size the bullet to .459 inch and lubricate with the typical beeswax/Alox lubricant mix.
    If someday you decide to get a Marlin or other rifle that can take higher pressures, assemble those loads with nickel-plated cases. Use brass cases for the Sharps. This will prevent you from dropping a high-pressure load in that Sharps.
    Years ago, I'd take a red Magic Marker and run it up and down the brass case, of the loads I assembled for the Marlin. Back then, no one made nickeled .45-70 cases.

One final warning: Never use a load posted on the internet without first checking it against the website or reloading book of the projectile or powder you're using. This includes the load above, that I just gave you.
    There are all kinds of wild claims and excessive loads posted for the .45-70 by folks who have absolutely NO access to a ballistics lab to measure pressures. The manufacturers of bullets and powder DO have labs that can measure pressure.
    Some folks like to push the limits with the .45-70. I like my fingers, eyes and guns too much to do so.
  8. Swede

Swede New Member

I also like Varget in my .45-70 Shiloh Sharps. I use Trailboss in the Trapdoor, gives a nice easy on the shoulder load.