Reloading for Glock 17 and Springfield XDM

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smlake, Nov 12, 2009.

1. smlake

smlake New Member

Is it safe to reload 9mm cartridges for the Glock 17? I understand is NOT advisable to do so for the Glock pistols in .40S&W and 45 cal. I have read conflicting information regarding reloading cartridges for the Glock 9mm, particularly regarding jacketed bullets. Also, it is safe to reload the Springfield XDM in .40S&W? I just bought an XDM pistol in .40S&W and wish to reload cartridges for it. I am also looking to buy another .40S&W but I only wish to buy a pistol that is safe to shoot reloaded cartridges. I would appreciate any suggested semi- auto pistols to purchase. This pistol would be used for general shooting and not for concealed carry. I would appreciate any advice regarding the Kimber, Browning, Springfield, Beretta, H & K, pistols, etc.
  2. kda

kda New Member

The prevailing opinion on the GlockTalk forums is that you should not shoot reloads in Glocks. But some do and discount the warnings about problems or voiding the warranty.

Glock is clear that you should never shoot "lead" unjacketed rounds in your Glock. Glock doesn't use conventional lands and grooves rifling in their weapons because their unique approach gives better accuracy. However that unique approach tends to lead badly if one shoots unjacketed rounds. But ... some do shoot lead rounds and just take extra-ordinary measures to clean the barrel after range sessions.

I have various Glock pistols and love every one of them, carry one of them for self defense, etc., but if you are determined to reload and especially if you are determined to reload unjacketed lead rounds, then I'd say buy something else.
  3. smlake

smlake New Member

I appreciate your reply and, from everything I have read, you are correct about the uncoated lead bullets. I only use FMJ round nose bullets in 9mm. What about reloading the .40S&W for the Springfield XDM? Also, any recommendations for a second .40S&W pistol. I appreciate your reply in advance. Thanks, Terry, an NRA member.
  4. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

i load 9mm with hard lead at factory & SD velocity's
    out of a glock is no problem for me FWIW.
    i check the bbl every range session (~100 rounds ) for leading. same with the P7.
    leading becomes noticeable around 400+ rounds & the bbl gets scrubbed.
    by noticeable i am referring to the inch in front of the chamber and you have to look careful to see it.
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I have shot thousands of reloads thru a Glock 23 and 27. Only plated and jacketed no lead.
    Never had problem.
  6. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Im not sure regarding XMD’s, but firing some reloaded brass in Glocks is a bit risky. I bolded brass to distinguish it from handloaded ammo.

One of the beauties of a Glock is its chamber design, often called ‘open’, ‘unsupported’ ect etc. Very simply said, what that means is the portion of their chamber around the loading ramp is slightly oversized to help prevent jamming. Great for combat/defensive situations (and partly why Glocks are one of the most reliable handguns in their class available), but parts of the brass are not fully supported during the combustion process.

IF (a couple of if’s here) you fire used, therefore already stretched and resized brass, and IF you are firing higher pressure loads with this brass, and IF the Gods are pissed off about something you did a week ago Monday and IF. . . the brass could rupture and damage your weapon (well and possibly your hand, your eyes/face, or the shooter next to you).

I’m not making light of the IF’s, especially considering the possible consequences. Don’t like that IF word.

Glock owners such as I that handload their ammo have options if they don’t want to take these risks. One is to use new brass (or some only use once fired brass, more accurate) when they load, another or in combination with is to not load higher pressure loads.

Of course the other option is to buy an aftermarket barrel for your Glock, you loose a little as far as the reliability (more risk of jam), do have more supported chambers.

Hope this helps,

Miles
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

When I had my XD(m), the only thing I shot through it was reloads and had no problems.
  8. smlake

smlake New Member

I really appreciate all comments. Any advice regarding the various brands of pistols since I am interested in buying a 2nd .40 cal pistol?
  9. RandyP

RandyP Member

I don't shoot the .40 but shoot the best groups of my life with my CZ 75 SP-01 in 9mm.

They make a .40 cal version the 75B

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b/

NOT a lightweight handgun of course, but if concealed carry is not the issue, it is a terrific range pistol.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  10. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I have been reloading plated and FMJ for my G20 for over a year now without any problems at all. As far as a recommendation for a .40 S&W I would try the Sig P226. Been reloading this one for a couple of months now and it is a sweet gun.
  11. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I don't know about XD but I have owned a Glock 17 for two years that has never seen factory ammo. I reload the same for it as my other guns. I don't shoot hot loads.
  12. smlake

smlake New Member

I really do appreciate all the comments and advice.
  13. rideflhtc

rideflhtc New Member

Hello Terry,

I spoke with Smith & Wesson about their M&P line of pistols and they assured me that I can shoot lead bullets and it will not void my warranty. They also said they have no problem with reloaded ammunition.................check for yourself, though.

I also checked with Glock and the Customer Service Rep was very clear that neither lead bullets nor reloaded ammunition are approved and both will void my warranty in a Glock Pistol. Something about Polygonal rifling (none of that is spelled correctly, I am sure) is wound up tighter and will collect lead much faster than traditional.

I checked CZ and they don't like reloads or lead, Kahr Arms does not like lead either, Glock really does not like discussing it.....................so I purchased a S&W M&P 9mm and it seems to like everything so far...semi wadcutter(lead), round nose FMJ, Jacketed Hollow Point are all I have tried to this point.

Good luck.
  14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

The best 40 S&W pistol that I have found for me is the Sig P239-40. This pistol just feels so good and fits me perfectly with after market Houge wrap around grip also night sights.
    SA/DA, decocker. Love the way this things handles and shoots.
  15. Jack Ruby

Jack Ruby New Member

Has anyone actually had or know of someone that had a problem with FMJ reloads in a Glock at starting load weights?

Specifically with the G17 or G32 (or for that matter any 9mm or .357 Sig)