1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Reloading for XDM 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Smitty14, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Smitty14

Smitty14 New Member

Greetings,
    I have read that some gun owners don't reload with lead bullets for Glocks. Does this same recommendation hold for Springfield as well?
    Thank you.
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

the Glocks have polygonal barrel rifling, I don't know about the XDs?

That said you can probably find as many posts from folks saying they DO reload for Glock as those who don't?

Add to that the 'legaleze' in most gun warranty statements that warn against using any reloads in their firearms. Mostly CYA of course. Factory ammo is manufactured to agreed-upon industry specifications. Reloads can be anything from cream puff to 'hold my beer and watch this' gonzo idgit loads that nobody could rely on.
  3. olehippy

olehippy New Member

As Randy stated, the problem with firing soft lead bullets through Glocks is because their rifling technique, although extremely accurate, tends to collect lead deposits where the rifling begins. Of course this gives Glock cause to threaten to void the warranty if you do so – to me sort of like when a camel farts at an OPEC meeting, GM tries to void a couple million of their warranties.

Most people I’ve talked to feel if fire soft lead (somewhat wonder why one would, but,) you clean the weapon frequently, I’ve seen it suggested every 50 rounds or so, to me after firing the weapon, and check the barrel for deposits (dah?) it wont harm the weapon.

Most of this is CYA, if someone only cleans their gun every 10 years rather it needs it or not, and it develops an obstruction from shooting junk ammo, of course that is grounds for a multi-million dollar law suite against the manufacturer! Maybe like sticking a cup of hot coffee between your legs and suiting McDonalds (and winning!) because you burned your twit? CYA

Miles

Merry Christmas BTW!
  4. Smitty14

Smitty14 New Member

I have a 9mm XDM and used 100 rounds of lead reloads with no problems. I was very pleased with the performance of my first reloads.
    I clean my guns after every time I return from the range and I was very pleased with how clean the XDM was before cleaning. Very little residue in the barrel.
    I just don't want to ruin my investment in the XDM.