Reloading Guide

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by neilin, Jan 1, 2010.

1. neilin

neilin New Member

I noticed in a Reloading Guide that there is a seperate section for COWBOY ACTION HANDGUN LOAD DATA and PISTOL/REVOLVER LOAD DATA. Why would these two be seperated?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you look a little further, notice the difference in the speed of the bullets in both listings, FPS and pressure in the cowboy action is quite a bit lower than with the other listing. Most likely due to the pistol used. If you are using a 100 year old gun and load it up to the velocities and pressures of modern pistols, you are asking for problems.
  3. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I agree with gmoody, but would also like to add that this may seperate rifle and pistol data for common calibers in both.

One that comes to mind is .357 mag, but I'm sure there are many others.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Cowboy Action Shooting is a game. You shoot against the clock. The lighter recoil, the faster you can get back on target, the better your times. Because of this, "Cowboy Loads" have come into being. They usually have a lighter than normal bullet weight for the caliber (example: 45 Colt normal bullet weight is 250 or 255. I've seen "Cowboy Loads" that have 200 or 180, and even 160 grain bullets) and extremely puny powder charges.

A "normal" 38 Special load is 158 grain bullet at around 800 fps. A typical "Cowboy Load" for 38 would be a 125 grain bullet at around 500 fps.

The other reason for the "cowboy" section is there are calibers that normal people don't shoot anymore. 32/20, 44 Russian, 38/40, 44/40, 38/55, like that. These loads can't be found in normal loading manuals. Hodgdon, however, lists them in their "Cowboy Loads".
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010