Reloading Help .223 press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by OlympicArmsFan, Aug 31, 2008.

1. OlympicArmsFan

OlympicArmsFan New Member

Hi everyone I have a quesiton on reloading and Im lookig for help. Im getting started and Im going to buy the book the ABCs of reloading soon. I wanted to know what all do I need to get started. Im putting links to what im looking at and will need help on other things. Thanks

Im looking at these two presses from Midwayusa.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=618843&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=347040&t=11082005

Ok those are the two presses im looking at. I would like some feed back on what one offers over the other and what one I should chose.

Im also looking at a LEE scale for $20 bucks at MidwayUsa.com and if you know of another scale please tell me.

Also please tell me what other tools I will need to clean the brass and just everythign I need to get started.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Olympic,

I can tell you one thing, asking about lee equipment is probably the single most controversial issue you could bring up on this forum, but I say buy what your budget serves as Lee is usually for the budget minded reloader. I use the Lyman kit as follows because it has the items you really need to start reloading other than dies, good luck and happy reloading!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=924848&t=11082005
  3. OlympicArmsFan

Hey 312shooter thanks for the quick respons. I knew that was a loaded question lol when I asked about the LEE's. Im really looking at those two due to budget as I just finished building an AR project.

The lyman kit looks good I may have to save a little more or sell a little more of my stuff off to get a reloading set up I want.

I wasnt sure if the two I listed why I should go with one over the other one and what I would be missing if I bought the Pro 1000 over the Loadmaster. I wasnt trying to compair them to other brands as I know thats like compairing the fight over the AK vs AR its never ending.

Im putting this stuff on a Christmas list of what I really woud like to have and liked the price and I know people who have used LEE and liked them as well as other brands. That kit I need to save a little and check out maybe more on. Thanks everyone for your help.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Olympic

My suggestion to you would be to start out with a single stage press, Lee makes a good one for a small amount of money. I have been reloading for a long time and just about two months ago bought my first progressive (it was a Lee Loadmaster). I wish I had not bought it.

For the first time in 30 years, I had a squib load, and it was on the Loadmaster. I reloaded a bunch of 223's and 5.7 X 28 today and it was on the Lee single stage. It could have been faster on the Loadmaster but how many of them might not go "boom" when the trigger is pulled.

I'll sell you my loadmaster, cheap, if you want one.
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

The ABC's of re-loading is an OK book but not great. He has opinions not shared by all seasoned loaders & there are no loads in the book-it's just a how-to book. I'd suggest buying a regular manual as they have plenty of how-to in them.

I'd also suggest going with a single stage or a turret press with the auto advance disconnected. Especially as a new re-loader you'd find the single stage easier to use & you'd be able to put your charged cases in a loading block & see that the powder is equal in all the cases-something you can't do with a progressive.

There are really good little movies on youtube showing people using various presses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kWXyxOEbZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWF5_ZAWL_E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrvZ0MLkwI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8&feature=related
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I haven't been reloading for long and the digital scale is worth a ton. It sure beats the old balance type. I would recommend more than one manual, and read, read, read before doing anything. I am only speaking for myself though. And the good thing is go I have learned something with every load. BTW, start out slow and easy. Good luck.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

OlympicArmsFan:

If those are the only two presses for you to choose from DO NOT pick the Lee Progressive but rather the Lyman turret. A turret press is nearly as fast as the Lee Progressive and faster if you count all the down time fixing the Lee. I have met very few people either here or in REAL life that have not had problems with the Lee progressive press (I had one years ago and it broke during every reloading session and did the same for the guy who bought it from me....JUNK!). It is too light weight for what it is and if you get a screwup at one stage it is a hassle to straighten it out as the table has an automatic advance mechanism that makes stopping mid reloading tough.

If its a progressive you have to have you might want to look at the Dillon RL550B. It is not cheap but if you buy it, you'll probably never buy another press again. I am sure if you buy the Lee progressive you eventually will replace it or get so frustrated with reloading that you will stop reloading. But that's just my experience and other's may differ.

You need reloading manuals....ones from every bullet manufacturer or powder manufacturer whose products you might use. But to start I always recommend the Hornady manual mostly because of their manual's section on how cartridges work. If you understand how cartridges work then it better helps you to understand what each part of the process is doing to assure good ammunition when you finish.

You need to read, read, and re-read until you understand the process before buying anything or attempting to reload your first cartridge case. Shy away from other reloaders "help" as often others have bad habits that can hurt you or the gun or both. Become thoroughly informed so if you get the "help" you can spot the bad habits of such a "friend" and not develope their bad habits or processes. One repsonder here got "help" from a long time reloader and the "expert" hot loaded the responders ammo such that the gun had to be returned to the manufacturer for repair. Become the expert or at least the well informed reloader through reading. Then practice what you have learned.

If you find any of it confusing after a good study of the processes then just ask here for clarification. Several of us are qualified to help and those of us that are qualified will make sure you only reload safely.

Welcome to reloading. I think you will find it more than just financially rewarding. I certainly do and have for over 20 years.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. rcullop

rcullop New Member

Follow LD Bennett's advice and stay away from the Lee progressive 1000. I have it, and while I am reloadling with it, the difficulties of using it, have me using it very much like a single stage press. I hand prime and measure each charge by hand. I have NEVER gotten it to work as it should.

Don't make the same mistake i did!
  9. OlympicArmsFan

Hey thanks all for your help sorry I have not been back in a few days. Im back in college its taxing right now. I think I will go with something other then a progressive like the turret or single stage press.

I agree now after reading more on the web and also watching a lot of the youtube videos in the past few weeks. I think I will look at the single and turret press. I will get some manuals and the ABC book. I will be back asking a lot a lot of question.

Im going to go with a LEE at first due to the price of them. School and my AR project took a lot of my money so the Dillion will have to wait till later.