Reloading Info on 45 long Colt

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by tbark44, Jul 26, 2008.

1. tbark44

tbark44 New Member

Hello I am new here on the forums but been on most knife forums for years , I am going to start loading my own 45 long colt and need any infor i can get on Loading the cowboy loads , Such as Powder info , Best primers , and what it takes to load the 850 fps cowboy loads , thanks for thei nfo in advance , Tank
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

One tip is to keep an eye on overall length with.45 LC, I once loaded a hundred and then found they were just a little too long for the cylinder. So it can be done!

Great calibre too shoot though, I had a S&W M25.
  3. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

A good "cowboy load" would be 8 grains of Unique behind a 250 grain cast bullet. It will give you about 825 feet per second. I would use a round nosed bullet with a good crimp grove. As for primers any standard large pistol primer will do, magnum primers are not necessary. Be very carefull not to double charge as it will cost you a gun and God only knows what else. Make a habit of looking in the case before you seat the bullet. I often make up a double charge(without a bullet of course) just so I see what one looks like when loading high capicity cases with fast burning powder. Trust me, you will instanly recognize a double charge at a quick glance once you have seen one. Just so you know you can probably get over 20 grains of Unique in a 45 Colt case and still load a bullet. If that load were shot in a gun it would most likely have the same effect as a hand gernade. If for some unknown reason you get the hots to hot rod your 45 Colt I would suggest you go 2400 powder which is much slower burning. Using magnum primers and not less than 16 grains or over 18 grains if you are shooting it in a Colt size gun. I suggest this as opposed to just using more Unique. However, keep in mind you can get into big trouble trying to use too little of a slow burning powder and actually blow up your gun with what is referred to as a "squib Load" I think I spelled it right. I have a two Grover Number 5 that I shoot a load in that drives my 335 grain cast bullets 1,380 FPS out a 5.5 in. barrel, that same load goes 1,450 out of my 7.5 in. gun making both somwhat more powerfull than any 44 mag load you can think of. I can get away with this because the cylinder on a Grover is considerably larger than a Colt.
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

I use Winchester Large Pistol primers. In well over 100,000 rounds that I have loaded I have never had a faulty primer.

Art
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

my 'PET' for my vaquero is 6.0gr. of TITEGROUP under a 250gr. Laser-cast RNFP. That load produces a 6 shot group roughly the size of the cylinder @ 25 yds offhand. and propels that 250gr. chunk of lead 840 fps. from a 4 5/8" BBL.
  6. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

To JLA: If you can shoot a 6 shot group the size of a cylinder "off hand" with any single action revolver with a 4 5/8 barrel you need to go shoot in the Olympics and stop talking nonsense. To do that off of a SAND BAG rest at 25 yards would be really extraodinary shooting for both man and gun.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

my vaquero has alot of expensive mods to it, and come on man its just 25yds, plus i shoot everyday, sometimes twice a day, plus i was pretty much born with an iron in my hand. i also have a .44 mag that will do the same with a 7.5" BBL. it just takes familiarity with your firearm, a good quality load, and lots and lots of practice. that cylinder is roughly 1 and 3/4" in diameter and im firing bullets that are .452" in diameter, and maybe 3 out of the 6 bullet holes are touching. you could do it too, you just need to practice. and take your time shooting, the object is to test the consistency of six carefully aimed shots from a specific revolver and a specific load, and this load wasnt cooked up over night, nooo sir, it took me a month or so and about seven different powders and about 15 different bullets shapes, weights and designs before i found a consistent combination that the revolver shot well, and the quest for my .44 was even longer, i have had the pleasure of working with weapons that would shoot one ragged hole at the same distance from a ransom rest, and the best i could shoot offhand with these fine examples of custom craftsmanship was roughly an inch at 25 yds, so me being able to get that close after so much hard work and persistence, and not to mention money spent on a firearm that doesnt have to go home to its owner at the end of the day is very rewarding, and i will continue to work and hone my shooting technique and adjust my loads and squeeze every last bit from the capabilities of my firearms and myself. i stongly urge you to try.;)
  8. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

To JLA: With all due respect besides me not making outlandish claims what gave you the silly idea that I don't have experience shooting or that the quality of a Grover Number 5 (do you even know what that is?) isn't as good or better then any Ruger customized by anyone. The lock time and hammer inertia on a single action is such that from the time you have a site picture that you are satisfied with and pull the trigger, the gun, if moved so much as .004 of an inch which is about the thickness of a human hair means one inch on the target at 25 yards. Now when you pull that trigger you are releasing a hammer that weighs half again what a Smith hammer weighs and because of the way it is hinged it takes twice as long to get to the primer and because of its weight it can't help but move the gun from your desired site picture. All the while you are holding a gun offhand that can't move twice the distance of the thickness of a human hair in any direction to accomplish what you claim to be able to do??? Admittidly I don't shoot everyday but I shoot often enough and with some of the best pistol shots that ever picked up a gun and as such I stand on my previous statments.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  9. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

If you will take particular notice the location of the triggers. They are at about 4 pounds as crisp as glass with 0 overtravel. These are vertually hand made guns (not Ruger makeovers) where the fit, finnish and accuracy is as good as it gets. You will also notice that the loading gates and ejection rods are oppsite any other single action. They are six shot and I shoot factory 454 Cashul in the two 45 Colts to prove a point that if anyone is interested I will expand on. The other two are 44 Mags.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

those are very nice irons h20, fine examples of custom craftsmanship, i didnt intend to imply that you dont have shooting experience, i meant to explain that i believe that the familiarity with the physics involved, and with the firearm in my hand, the firearm that i have fired countless rounds through, i can just feel when its right to squeeze off, and thats it. the moment i squeeze the trigger i know whether or not the bullet will hit its mark before i percieve the recoil, i shoot because i enjoy it, i shoot as a secondary living, shooting has always been a natural talent for me. heres another one for you to 'poke' at, when i was a child my brother and i would shoot soda tabs at 50 yds with my dads .22, an old glenfield mod. 60 with a 24 inch bbl, no particular mods, just a utility rifle that lived behind the kitchen door when we werent shooting it of course, i started shooting pistols when i was about 10, my grampa gave me his old colt frontier scout, that i shot every day for nearly 10 years, until it was stolen with a few of my other firearms from a range bag out of the bed of my pick-up at a camping trip about 4 years ago. i wont try to convince you of what you percieve as impossible, but i must remind you that the "TITANIC" was once thought unsinkable.....
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  11. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

To JLA, I wished you lived closer so we could BS each other and go murder some jackrabbits with handguns as you sound like we lived somewhat parallel lives. I too had a handgun at only 10 years old and packed it around on my horse while living in middle of nowhere Nevada. It was of all things a Colt 38spl official police. Ammo was always a bit of problem until I found a 55 gallon drum about a 1/4 full of 38 wad cutters. To this day I have no idea where they came from but you can bet I shot everyone of them. I am 62 years old and I have been handloading and shooting since I was a kid. I have been fortunate enough to own some very fine guns of various discriptions and my passion is really custom rifles and Winchester lever guns 86 and up. I appologize for being a bit OK a big ass. I don't know how to send you a private note but my email is rh2oking@hotmail.com meaning if you ever want to come rabbit hunting I have 10,000 acres laoded with them.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i'll have sent you a PM titled "how to PM" but just realized i forgot to tell how, all you gotta do is click the recipients name and the prompt will give you about 5 options, one of which is to send a PM, and once again, thanx for the invite... JLA
  13. froglives

froglives New Member

I am stunned and astounded, I have been shocked from my "modern day stupor" caused by; lack of manners, lack of manhood, lack of what makes Men and specifically freedom oriented men great. (Note: Men as a general term to encompass all, including woman, children, exceptional horses and dogs)
    What caused this smile crossing my face? None other than the back and forth by JLA and H2oKing. Weak minded men of today would call these 'fighting words" "personal attacks" etc. and whine, threaten, curse, and rage against them.
    But these were not just fighting words, these were exactly the same type of words that forged this great country, they were "Fighting Words of Ideas" Reminiscent of when men had passion for what they believed in. The difference is in the 'Character", the "Honesty" the "Passion"
    Two different sets of ideas that while meeting in the collision of battle, ended up on the field of respect.
    Hats Off Gentleman, I only wish my children could shoot with either one of you.
  14. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

what thread was that on?
  15. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

froglives, wow. Well put. I enjoyed boh sides and what a great resolve at the end.

Personally I always like what JLA has to say and I consider him a great friend. H2oking also knows his business and has some fine irons, and unique as well.

I had my first Ruger .22 three screw revolver when I was in the second or third grade. I remember sitting on the bumper of a VW Beetle with a 4-10 shot gun as my dad drove slowly down a dirt road while I shot doves (now that would have the libs freaking out). I too know much about shooting.

There are times when some guys talk big. I don't say much. But in fact sometimes it just happens that you get that chance to be there and realize, that poor guy can't even tie his hook let alone catch a fish (what a braggert). I had a guy this week tell me that he could sharpen a knife better than me while at work. Today he brought his knife in. It was Brand new, unused, and it has gold all over it. It was so pathetic that I didn't even look at it. The vote had it though,,, mine was sharper and everyone had a good chuckle.

I will say this about JLA. He is my friend and I value him. One day I am going to send hima knife as a gift because I know he will straight shoot me and tell me if it's got a good edge (I sharpen knives on the side). Everything he says is solid, so I can't call him a liar if I don't know for sure. One day my father took us boys out rabbit shooting with handguns. A pheasant came up at about 40 yards and he shot it out of the air with his "Dirty Harry." Few believe it, but it happened and he always did stuff like that.

One last point. Few believe the 800 yard shot (sorry guys, I hope my memory serves me right, If I am wrong call me on it) that Elmer Keith made on a running elk. One round hit the animal, the second hit the antler.

Also, its 45 Colt, not 45 Long Colt.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

600 yds on a wounded muley too highboy, with a 6" mod 29 smith, serial number 2. I sure woulda loved to meet Elmer kieth, but sadly I was born far later than my time.

I sure miss H2O, he and I had alot of back and forth banter, he got himself banned long ago, dont even rememeber what for. But I coulda rode around all day wasting bullets with that guy.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  17. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

while these "custom" 45's are nice to look at and drool over..I would NOT wish to shoot them IF as you say you have shot "FACTORY 454 CASULL AMMO" throught them. its that kind of thinking and actions that have killed and maimed far too many people through the years. next you will be telling us that you shoot 900 nitros in a 500 mag pistol too.

how many new shooters reading what you said will without thinking try the same stupid action and load up 454 casull ammo in their 45 colts, and die or be permentaly maimed from your IRRESPONSABALE post and claim..its akin to recommending they load 30 grains unique into a 45 case and fire it also!:eek:
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

We must be picky.

It was a 4". And it was a "44 Magnum". Model 29s had not happened yet. Before 1957, so no model numbers. :p

But I'm curious why 76Highboy believes Elmer when he says he made that 600 yard shot, but does not believe him when he says there used to be a 45 Short Colt, so 45 Long Colt is correct.
  19. muddober

muddober Active Member

Well hunter lets help you out a bit here. First of all a 454 Casull will not fit in a 45 Colt saa cylinder so there is no chance of that happening. They don't make a 900 nitro but they do make a 700 nitro, I use to have one. The bullet weighs 1000 grains and measures .710, the bullet alone without the case is longer than a 500 S&W mag case so that won't work either.

The Texas Long Horn guns have cylinders with thick enough metal and length to allow chambering long enough to accomodate the 454 Casull to which there is no special majic. I ask you, what does a cylinder care if can safely handle 55,000 psi loadings whether the loading is called a 357 magnum, a 44 magnum, a 45 Colt or a 454 Casull? I suggest it doesn't. Additionally an original 454 Casull case will only hold one more grain of 2400 level full than that of a modern non ballon 45 Colt case. In other words it is not some fire breathing monster that some think it is. Because of this only one grain difference the 45 Colt can can be loaded for the right gun not far behind the 454 Casull making the 45 Colt a far more powerful cartridge than the 44 magnum, but never, never to be shot in any Colt or Colt clone.

The 454 Casull is in my view one of poorest designed cases ever built in modern times. The case uses a small rifle magnum primer because it has a flash hole 3 times the length of any other pistol case. The reason of which the base of the case is solid up to about 1/8 of inch deep into the cylinder in an effort to eliminate any chance of case bulging. The long flash hole causes very erratic velocities due to poor ignition of the H110/Win296 that it is now factory loaded with. The original loading was a triplex loading made up of three different powders making just loading for the thing dangerous. As I recall the original loading started off with 3 grains of Bullseye, 7 grains of Unique and a bunch of 2400 on top, all of which was done to insure consistant ignition to get around that long flash hole.

I hope that helped you,

Ron
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  20. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

thanks Ron, your comments were appreciated, and made me do some more research!
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012