reloading,is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by seanpcif, Mar 9, 2004.

1. seanpcif

seanpcif New Member

Just got involved in pistol shooting and was wondering about the practicality and expense of reloading (making my own rounds)

Do you actually save money by doing this?
    Is it only worth while for larger size ammo?

Preserntly I own a bersa thunder 380 but am interested in purchasing something a little larger, possibly a 357,40 or 45.

But as with my 380 ammo for target shooting adds up after a short while and the bigger guns ammo will cost more.

Can you suggest any books to read about reloading?
    Where do you purchase your supplies?
    About what cost per round to make say a 38 or 357,40 or 45?

Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. ACC

ACC New Member

seanpcif

welcome aboard,you'll enjoy the forum:) the initial expense of reloading will be a little expensive,but shop around for the press that you will need e-bay would be a good start. any reloading book will tell you all you need to know about how it's done,I use the speer manual for all my starting data.They explain it better than some of the manuals out there to-day.Some people like single stage presses,some like the turret,and some like progressive presses.to me there is no real rathers. i started single staging for i was doing match shooting at the time,then I worked right up to a progressive. I learned alot on the single stage press though,not to say this is the way you should start,but it's just my 2 cents worth.I myself never looked at it as a cost saving venture anyway,it turned out to be a science for me,than anything else,then a business,however you can save alot of money by "rolling your own".If you start with new brass and revolve it by lots,you can save about 5.00 a box on 38's even more if you hunt for deals for all your components.I know that this probably doesn't answer your question,but it's a start,the people on this forum are excellent,and I'm sure they will give you all the advice you can handle:)Have fun with it,and don't be afraid to ask,if you get in a bind:)
    C&R AMMO
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Get yourself a copy of Lymans Reloading Handbook and start reading. Let us know if you have any questions after reading it. We are here to help. Reloading can help pay for itself, but you need to shoot lots of ammo. After a while, reloading is a super cost savings.

To those devoted to reloading, it is the quest for the perfect load for your weapon.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Sean, I can only add that, (and in answer to your question) If you are only loading to save money, loading for the .380 and even the .45 it will take you a long time to overcome the initial costs of the press, manuals, scale, caliper, powder ect, ect...But as these two gurus have stated, reloading is almost never a money saving venture, albit it may start that way, it almost always becomes a hobby. I have just about decided that the larger the caliber, the larger the reward savings wise peroid, and if I was only going to reload for 2 pistols, I probabally wouldn't bother unless I was doing lots of shooting.

It's a new world though Man...This is your warning, if you get into it, you'll very likely become addicted...Sitting up late at night searching E-bay for components, sneaking tins of powder out in the garage so the wife wont see, Heh Heh, it's lots of fun, especially if you like quiet, meticulous, rewarding hobbies.

Keep us posted! :)

~Crp
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

LOL !!!

Is'nt it funny that we grow up under our parents roof and have to abide by their rules and such....the whole time looking forward to the day when we will move out and live free with no cerfew...no rules.....

And that day comes and we get our freedom....only to give it up a few years later to a Woman who has just as many, if not more rules......and some quirks that you never had to worry about as a kid....
    And you're right back where you started....sneakin arround with your prized possesions just hopeing not to get caught......

I'll tell you what.....if you think your mom had a nack for finding your stash of nudie mags.....your wife will be even better at it !!!!

mike
  6. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

as stated above about cost of getting started

but if you compare round for round ,you must take a good quality match round price and compare it to your own round ,because the roll your own will be more accurate than the cheap stuff you get at wally world ,your powder is dictated by you ,in most cases less is better
  7. seanpcif

seanpcif New Member

Many thanks for all your useful info,
    I will try to find the Lymans reloading handbook, (as this seems to come up alot on these posts) and read it, than go from their.

I really enjoy shooting the 380, but ammo gets expensive after a short while, I live in the country and am able to shoot in my own yard (4.5 acres), into a hillside.

I recently purchased a s&w model 17, just because it was cheaper to shoot.

The 380 I will shoot about 50 rounds a day and the 22 I shoot at least a hundred.

I enjoy the 380 more but the 22 is cheaper to shoot.
    Went to a NRA safety class and the instructor let me shoot his pistols, I enjoyed the 357, 40 and 45 the most. I purchsed the 380 because of size and safeties for when I get my ccw.

Again thanks for all your input.
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

If you shoot a lot, you will save money as far as cost/shell, but you may spend more so you can shoot more shells. Once you get over the initial cost, it's all savings.

I think with a .22 you might as well stick to factory shells. They are cheap enough that making your own wouldn't save enough to matter.

Country101
  9. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

you can't make the .22's anyway

when i worked at olin {winchester} ,.22 has its own division ,shell and primer are one unit

primer division was fun ,first time i walked in there primer dust was exploding under my shoes ,each person gets six little clay bowls with clay lids ,with a pound of wet primer ,they roll it out with rolling pins onto a table ,then they have a arm that looks like a old paper cutter ,but it has a 1,000 primers in it ,then they slam it down onto the wet primer,pull it up cut off the excess ,roll it out do it again

the primer explosive is made on an island ,it blew up once in the sixties ,the two guys that worked in it was gone ,they found one pound of flesh between the two guys
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Write it in stone, it's perfect.

Sean, sounds like you do alot of shooting, at least as much as I do, because I get to the range once a week max, when you step up to the .45 and if you continue shooting at this rate, I'd definately consider reloading...

Mike, honestly, I have it made when it comes to my wife... dont tell her I said so, but she's a sweetheart...She really dosen't want to "talk guns" and all that, but she really dosen't mind what I buy as long as we have the money/credit....Not the case with my first wife, it seems every thing was a competition, if I wanted to buy something I had to make sure she got to spend the exact same amount, never mind that she didn't work. So I dont take my freedoms for granted, I'm a lucky guy.

He mean .22 hornet maybe? I never heard of reloading these either, but I just assumed you could.

~Crp
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Postal writes:
    Au contraire, mon ami!

Bet I can and it will go bang! Any takers? Best bar bet ever happened!

Would not want to do it as a habit, but it can be done!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;) ;) ;) ;)
  12. txpete

txpete New Member

warning reloading is addictive

:) :) :) :)

its were I started over 30 years ago with a old lee loader.then presses, thumblers, dies,more guns more dies then casting your own bullets,moulds and more moulds,lube sizers,gas checks,more guns more dies.....and so on and never ending and I just love it!.
    I shoot alot of the old rounds 44-40, 45 colt ,38-55 and 45/70.
    I have saved a ton of money making my own ammo.if I had to pay for factory ammo I would have to live under a bridge and stand at traffic lights with a sign I will work for ammo.:)
    pete
  13. danurve

danurve New Member

Well I only started reloading this year, so far it's been very addictive! Learned quite a bit, alot from forums, manuals and books cover what you need to know, then there's stuff you need to know! There is definatly a start-up cost, still using my first kit although adding stuff along the way like puller, flash hole cleaner, electronic scale etc.

Has all this saved me money on ammo? No, not realy, at least not yet. If you just consider the cost of powder, bullets, primers, then yes for the most part. However even with my begining experiences with reloading I have discovered a different kind of value. It's a certain enjoyment out of shooting ammo you created yourself, and there is something to be said about the satisfaction you get using your rifle your loading for. Then you experiment with different powder, work up some loads and get a 'charge' out of the groups. And your thinkin "..yeah, I did that" ;)
  14. danurve

danurve New Member

you know what I forgot to add it's great stress relief. Not sure if its range time or the reloading, or a bit of both perhaps.
  15. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

plano why in the world would you want to reload a .22 longrifle ?

what are they .02 cents each ,the same price for a good primer