reloading is saving me money but making me poor.. :)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 18, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I used to hit a gun show and buy.. well.. guns :) now I hit shows and buy ammo components and reloading stuff.. :)

went to a show yesterday while wife was at church. got decent deals on a couple die sets. lee 32acp set with shellholder int he rad can for 18$ wasn't too shabby.. he gave me a small baggy of 44AMP brass for free as well as he knew from talking that I had an automag.. next table over i paid 50 cents for a box of auto mag brass.. original weathered cardboard box, and some loose, good condition original brass in the box... then picked up a lee 303 3 die set ( had the crimp die ), plus a bag full of modern 303 boxer 1/spent brass for 20$ figured i did good as well there. deal on that one was the seller got the enfield and the die and brass from the seller.. seller bought a couple boxes of modern ammo.. shot them.. was gonna get into relaoding so got the die set.. decided to NOT to relaod for the the 303 so sold the brass gun and die set. seller at the show sold the gun, but the buyer wasn't interested in the die or brass. I looked the die set over. I may be wrong.. but I don't think they've been used.. box and paper and dies look pristine.. unhandled. no grime.. no lube... in any case.. not bad for the set... and brass to boot...

saving money on guns.. spending on relaoding. ( guess there's still a net savings there.. :) ) economy is down so can't afford the guns anyway.. have to settle to relaod and shoot what I got..

soundguy
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yep, you are definitely a reloader, I have come to the realization that I shoot so I can reload, and I buy new guns according to what calibers are interesting to load.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a little problem myself, if I buy a new gun I immediately have to buy dies so I can reload for it. I hope that some of the powders I use are compatible with what I buy or I have to get a new powder also - not to even mention bullets. Oh wow, where does it end!!
  4. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

just like racing. there's money in it. I know there is. I put it there

I can't wait for the next show here. I have a list of stuff I need.
  5. soundguy

me too.. I got a lil not list of stuff I'm looking for.

this whole deal got rolling when a buddy gave me an old press out of a house he cleaned out.. i tossed it intot he garage and dug it out this year.. then i bought a rifle that came with a set of dies. 218bee

then it got bad from there.. :)
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Wait til you start buying stuff just cuz it's a great deal but you don't have a gun in that caliber. That's when you know that you've got it bad.
  7. soundguy

i know I've bought ammo in 'lots' before, only to later buy rifles to fit that ammo.

sounds bad already.. :)
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

Thanks guys for all of the above posts, I thoughtI might the only one with this affliction.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  9. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

it's even more fun when you are into fishing, boats and old trucks. sorry kids, we are having ramen noodles and soup for another month.
  10. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I know the feeling :D:D
  11. soundguy

i restore antique tractors.. that count?

mostly stuff from the 40's thru the early 60's
  12. gary0529

gary0529 Member

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I read the posts-it was as if I was writing it all.

I have bought ammo and dies before the gun, bought guns and dies at the same time and now currently waiting on a custom 260 from the 'smith but have the ammo waiting, already loaded up starting low and working the powder charges up incrementally.
    I realize there is no cure-but it is a fun and fascinating disease.

Gary
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

AMEN
  14. soundguy

yep.. treatment.. but no cure...
  15. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Gee wizz guys all that much trouble Can't wait to start just waiting for a press to come up for sale
  16. soundguy

for starting on the cheap, I reccomend a lee kit. I see full lee basic relaod kits for about 110$ classic C press, basic scale and powder thrower.

add a 30$ set of dies and your first bottle of powder ( 30$ ) and your first box of bullets ( 20$ ) and some lube if the basic kit doesn't come with one. get a case trimmer, micrometer / caliper and a combo debur/chamfer tool and you are good to go. should be able to start for under 200$ just barely.. not counting the trimmer.. trimmer will kick you to under 300$ and then you need.. :)
  17. fluffie

fluffie New Member

I bought a lee load all 2 a few weeks back from midway. cost about 55 bucks then i found out the green top a hour from me was going under so i desided to take a stroll a hour one way up their. All the good stuff was gone at that point but i did buy 1500 wads for about 20 bucks. Thought about it on the way home i dont have hulls powder or shot for it yet but i got plenty of wads to start out with.
  18. soundguy

gotta start somewhere. I started collecting pieces and parts for weeks before I got my press together and made my first cartridge.