Reloading "kits" for a beginner

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CampingJosh, Apr 2, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've read several posts on here recommending to newbies that they forgo the various kits and just purchase individual tools as needed.

I have read the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading and some parts of the ABCs of Reloading. From what I understand, there aren't really any "optional extras" contained in these kits.

The Lyman T-Mag Expert Deluxe Kit contains this stuff:

• T-Mag II Press
    • Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
    • 1000XP DIgital Electronic Scale
    • #55 Powder Measure
    • Universal Priming Arm
    • Primer Tray
    • Auto Primer Feed
    • Extra Decapping Pins
    • 49th Edition Reloading Handbook
    • Primer Catcher
    • Deburring Tool
    • Powder Funnel
    • Quick Release Turret System (T-Mag Press only)
    • Case Lube Kit
    • 7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press turret)

Is there anything in there that I wouldn't be wanting? I've heard that the Lyman Universal Priming Arm is basically worthless, but even if I had to replace that, buying the kit is cheaper than even buying the individual parts from eBay.

Why the recommendation to avoid the kits?
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I feel the kits are the way to go myself. Also check out midwayusa.com
    their prices are about the best. They handle LEE Precision primarily and the sale price they run on the Challenger Breech Lock Press Kit every couple months or so is super. Gives you everything you need.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I don't think the kits are bad ideas, but my recommendation to buy seperately is based on getting the best overall value for your buck. Kits do save some money, but not if you end up swapping pieces out for better. Just me personally, but I think that you can find much better bargains out there if someone puts in the proper homework and research; I've made some great deals on flEaBay and CL. For some, it's more convienient to just buy the one shot deal; that's quite alright. Not everyone has the time or willingness to wait out the deals.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am a devout single stager. worm has vowed to change that come next weekend:)...

I would recommend you get a single stage RCBS kit and some LEE deluxe dies. that's what I use;)
  5. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

Lee 4-hole (thin red base--150 RoundsPerHour) at a Cabels''s type store--$300 gets you a complete setup. plus dies. when i teach reloading, 1st i learn ua and then, after i have determined your needs, i will meet ua at an approiate store and shop with you. a dillion Sq-d is closer to $600. pistol only and 400 RPH.

even if you have Lotto money, i still recommend a Lee to start. does single stage and when you get it, add the bar and its a turret.
    good luck to ua
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My beginning reloader experience ended up with the realization that there's an awful lot more to reloading than what you get in a basic kit; course maybe I'm wrong, ha.

Being a single stager myself also, I'm now picking up all the extra gauges, tools, and accessories that I never knew were as important as then now appear to be to me. One can easily spend over 2K on reloading equipment to get started. I also wonder if in another year or so if my groups won't be all that much better ?

I see used equipment, some real deals online lists. Reloading DVDs have helped me figure out what I didn't know. (Advanced Reloading, Tubbs, RCBS) Also if you have friends that reload, big help. My problem is they all have different IDEARS on what is the right way to reload.

The one good thing is I now have 50 lbs of powder, 10 K primers, and the ability to provide all the ammo I'll ever burn through the rest of my days; probably my grandkids too; no matter what any future govt may think about it; Peace of Mind.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CampingJosh:

Your choice of the T-Mag II Press kit is a much better choice than any LEE press. Others may disagree with me and some will agree but LEE is econo equipment. It is cheaper for a reason. The better the tools the longer they will last.

Choosing a turret press is also a good choice as the reloading goes at least twice as fast because you only put the cartridge case on the press one time instead of three. Anyway the T-Mag press is good choice.

For the choice of dies the better ones cost more. I proved to myself there is a difference between LEE and RCBS, for example, when I compared the working surfaces and their machining. Can you make acceptable ammo with the LEE stuff... probably. But there is the possibility the better dies will last longer and do less harm to the brass over time. But that is my opinion and others will disagree. I stand behind my choices with over 20 years of experience and having bought the cheaper LEE stuff and had to replace it or sell it off or trash it.

LDBennett
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt mind having a redding T7. Thats about as close to progressive as I wanna get...
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

......... for now. ;)

Can't wait for this coming weekend, we're gonna crank out some 38's and 45's !
  10. X Ring

X Ring Member

+1 I would never disagree with logic like this.
    I just do not trust digital scales, my beam scales never lie
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and cast some boolits! :D
  12. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Campingjosh,

You would be hard pressed to find a better buy than the very kit you mention, ESPECIALLY for a beginner. A Lyman T-mag is an excellent press and if you itemize the cost of each of the parts in the kit you are saving a ton of money. The T-mag acts as a single stage press until YOU turn the turett head, this allows a great deal of diversity for learning and advancing in your reloading hobby. I strongly disagree with opinions of those who think kits are not the way to go, everything in the Lyman T-mag expert deluxe kit is very high quality and at a great savings. Don't hesitate to buy it, I am glad I learned on the T-mag you will be too.