reloading kits

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Oct 7, 2009.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I am going to start reloading. I have bought a couple of books and dvds. I will be reloading a .308 which is my most shot caliber. I have seen some kits with quite a range of price differences. I question is which kit is a great starting kit. i was looking mostly at rcbs $300. kit. Also second question Since brass expands and gets thinner reload after reload how do you know when the brass can't be used anymore? Or approx how many times can you use a piece of brass?

Thanks,
    Zoltan
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum Z ! Each time you reload your brass, it gets inspected, so if you find any signs of impending failure, scrap it. Your reading and buying some manuals beforehand is A+, you'll grasp the basics and then get some hands on when you get your press. If you like the RCBS (I'm assuming rockchucker kit), then I can tell you that it will be around for many years to come and is as tough a press as you can find. For rifle, you should be pleased. Only real drawback to a single stage press is when you're going for production quantity, ie plinking pistol rounds.
    As far as how many reloads you can get out of a case; that all depends on how close to max charge you are loading. The closer you get to max, the less reloads you'll get.
    Once you find a load you like, you'll be able to get a fairly accurate count on case life. With rifle brass, I do document reload count on cases. For straight wall pistol, I do not, an inspection and case measurement is all that is needed. If I need to trim a pistol case, it is better off scrap IMO.

Hope this helps, good luck to you and hope to see you around here!
  3. oldreloader

oldreloader New Member

The RCBS kit is a great one.I've had great luck with RCBS products. Most companies make good presses.I wouldn't be afraid to buy Lee Classic Cast,RCBS, Lyman, or Redding presses. Just read your books and look at different equipment until you decide what fits your needs.
    Cases show signs of wear so you know when to toss them. That should be explained in your books.
    Good luck and enjoy your new addiction!(Hobby you say?? Just wait!):D
  4. Lost One

Lost One New Member

zkovach what rifles are you reloading for?
  5. army mp

army mp Member

Z , Only you know how much you can spend on a start up kit. Lyman, RCBS, or Hornady all have great starter kits. The Lee Classic press is good. But My opinion. The other stuff that comes with it, is junk. For a little more money you can get one of the above, In a single stage press kit, that will last you a lifetime. And if you decide to up grade to Progressive later. The Lyman, RCBS, or Hornady. Will hold their value longer. I like to see guys start out on Single stage first. I think you get a , Better understanding. Of the process.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There is a compromise press: The Turret press, like Lyman's. What you get is the ability to greatly increase the output of the press but still use the press as a single stage press, if you want. It allows you to grow into higher volume reloading, which is a natural progression in reloading (especially for pistol ammo, as pointed out).

The way it works is the press head holds all the dies, as well as a method of adding powder and primers with the case in the press, that you would need to reload a single cartridge. You put the case in the press and simply rotate the head around and over the case for each step. Or you can use only one station and batch reload, single stage style.

In reloading equipment there is good equipment and just adequate equipment. The good equipment lasts a lifetime and the just adequate equipment eventually gets replaced with the good equipment. I think it better to start with good equipment. The good equipment manufacturers are RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady, Dillon. If the price of a press is too good to be true, there is a reason.

LDBennett
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thanks for the Info. I really appreciate it. I am very excited about this website.

Thanks,
    Zkovach