reloading kits

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Oct 21, 2009.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I havent bought a reloading starter kit yet but i wanted to ask about this lee hand reloader. I saw saw it on cabelas and noticed it was quite cheap and got great reviews. Dont get me wrong i know cabelas reviews arent as accurate as we would like. Let me also add i am just looking to reload rifle carts. and just need a heathy garage hobby besides drinking. Not looking for speed just accuracy and to pass the time. If anyone has tried this kit let me know what you think. I am only asking because money is tight and i really would like to start reloading. What are your thoughts?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Given your criteria, there is no reason the Lee won't produce quality ammo and be a good hand press. Yes, this is a "hot" topic on many a-forum, but in the end, Lee equipment does work and makes it easier on the budget. I do think you could get a fairly inexpensive single stage press and be alot happier than with the hand held though. You can find some good single stage presses on auction sites and even some new kits that are reasonably priced.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=121744

you'll still need dies, a case trimmer and at least two reloading manuals; but for what you get in the kit, you can't beat the price.

You'll get plenty of opinions on this one. Give us some more info on what caliber, total budget and shooting purpose ( ie hunting, target). A sturdy bench would be needed to mount the press too; I've seen plenty that were made from the 2x4 kits that worked quite well and cost next to nothing.
  3. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

My reloading bench consists of a cheap end table i bought at goodwill(sturdy though) and mounted my lee progressive press on one side and single stage on the other...I like reloading in front of the TV so I just carry it from storage to the TV room...pretty simple. Oh, I just carry the components I need from the closet--it helps not getting my primers or powder mixed up.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I always recomend the LeeLoaders for beginners. The instructions are good & I beleive safe. The ammo you load is safe mid-range as far as power goes & very accurate. The ammo should be used in the gun the casings were originally shot in as this tool only neck sizes for bottleneck cartridges. I think it gives someone a very good idea of if they enjoy loading or not.
    The Lee Loader was a step up for me when I had started loading with instructions from a Shooter's Bible that told how to use cases cut down to a certain length for powder scoops, pistol powder for light rifle loads, a ground down nail to de-cap, a formica or wood table & a bolt to prime & pliars to put a crimp at the mouth to hold the bullet. That rudimentary setup actually worked & got me excited & man was I happy to get a LeeLoader. This was when I was 12 in 1974.
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thanks for the replies i appreciate it! Wooley i am looking to reload .308, 45-70 , and then 7.62 x 54r. I bought a good work bench at a garage sale so i am good there. My total budget maybe around 300. I am mostly loading for hunting/range loads however i believe in shooting the same loads at the range as i do to hunt. I like that set from your link 100.00 dollars is definatley in the price range!
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

With dies and manuals and trimmer, I think if you looked around, you could find what you need and still be at 250 or less. You'll need a set of calipers, Do you have calipers?

Good place to look is at estate sales too, if there are some in the local area, scout them out and see what you can find.
  7. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I found calipers on ebay for less than 20.

J
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    zkovach, I started with the Lee hand loader, and it is a good choice for someone who wants to load a few every now and then. I started out loading .44 Mag with the hand loader back in '77. I bought a box of ammo, shot it up, and then reloaded it. I progressed to a turent press, and am still using the same press, many thousand of rounds later, and in many different calibers. Just remember that pistol, and straight wall cartridges usually use a three die set, and necked cases use a four die set. Don't even start till you have purchased a really good reloading manual, have read it, and understand it.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. RandyP

RandyP Member

Hi,

Lee sometimes gets an undeserved 'bum rap' from folks who own the pricier reloaders (which ARE excellent tools) . The Lee single stage is a proven workhorse - I have their Anniversary kit and now their Classic 4-hole Turret - and both are simple to use, built strong, should last several lifetimes and turn out safe, reliable ammunition as long as I do my part creating the loads with good components.

I recommend buying one or two reloading manuals and spending some time on youtube and the Lee website watching all the great informational videos on the process.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

Happy Reloading.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. newby

newby New Member

zkovach,

I am not too far beyond where you are right now in the reloading thing. I purchased the Lee 50th Anniversary kit and I have been REAL pleased with it. I am on an extremely tight budget and have slowly collected components like poweder, primers, dies, etc. I have loaded anout 50 rounds (.40 S&W & .380 ACP) and I love to experiment. Reloading can get very expensive so I just take it slow and enjoy reading the reloading books (Lee Relowding, ABC's of reloading, and Hornady reloading). Get on YouTube and watch the video's that are on there. Ammosmith.com has really good video's on their site as well.
  11. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

No matter which reloaders equipment we prefer, we could all argue the point all day. The main thing is to get those reloader manuals, at least two. If you dont see what ifo you need just ask there are some pretty smart gals and guys around.
    I started out with a Lee Loader doing everything by hand, moved up to the 50 th ann. kit and am pleased with it as well.But that dont mean the others are over priced just to cheat you.They arent.
    You Put a RCBS Rock chucker next to a Lee breech lock and you can SEE the difference.
    I have turned out thousands of rounds on my single stage breech lock. No Doubt many have dont the same on the rock chucker. I started out with Lee because I wasnt sure reloading was for me, turns out I love doing it.
    As I go along I will buy better made equipment but there is not a thing wrong with lee, really love the pace setter die sets they come with a factory crimper. Get those manuals read them and then read them again. Good Luck, be safe and welcome to the forum.
  12. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I'm a huge fan of Lee reloading equipment. When I started out I was in the exact same budget as you. I originally went with the lee turret press kit from cabela's, but if I had to do it again I think I would get the breech lock challenger kit, also from cabela's. I now own, love, and regularly use both.
  13. turbo daddy

turbo daddy New Member

I just ordered my breech lock kit from Cabelas last night.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I think that you should go with a single stage instead of the hand press. I have a hand press and they work fine, but, if you are going to load the .308 and 45-70 you are going to need a good bit of muscle to full length resize the rifle cases, but maybe I am just getting old and weak!
    I use my hand press mainly for pistol loads when I just want to sit in the house and deprime/resize and bell mouth the cases.
  15. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thanks for all the great Info and the link. That lee bench loader kit for 100 bucks definatley fits my budget and what i am looking for. Thanks again to all!