Reloading lead bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Raven1, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Raven1

Raven1 New Member

After you reload the lead bullet, should you clean the wax off the bullet. If so what do I use. I see it also in the dies.
  2. doug66

doug66 New Member

Lube will build up in seating die, causing your bullets to be seated deeper and deeper over time. I don't sweat it, just dig the lube out of seating die every so often.

I use Lee Liquid Alox it is messy. I dust the bullets with motor mica before loading.
  3. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Perhaps I misunderstood the question but NO do not remove the lube from the boolit-the only reason it is there is to lube the bullets passage down the bore and preclude leading and keep the barrel somewhat cleaner.

The die should be scraped out as needed just like Doug mentioned otherwise you end up seating the bullet deeper than you planned as the wax builds up. Not a real good idea esp. with pistol loads where reducing the case volume may greatly increase pressure and could have a nasty result.

Gary
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

All reloaders have to deal sometimes with excess lube. If I get a particularly messy bunch of lead bullets I'll rub off the excess lube with a cotton cleaning patch before seating. Otherwise I just clean the dies occasionally.

This applies to excess lube only. Like gary says, don't remove the lube from the grooves.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

AFTER loading I take a clean rag and wipe the excess from the boolit before putting the finished round in the box. I too use Alox and it is very messy but wipes off easily with a rag...
  6. dardascastbullets

dardascastbullets New Member

Oh my gosh! You are using an extremely 'loose' lubricant if it is coming off the bullets and building up on the seating stem of your seating die! Actually, you don't have a choice at this point but to remove the excess lubricant to prevent any further problems. There should not be one speck of bullet lubricant outside of the lubrication ring(s) which translates into a continuously clean seating stem!

You may have to determine what exactly the wax is - is it a paraffin, microcrystalline, beeswax, oil based or who knows what? And, you probably will not be able to obtain the 'secret' ingredients anyway. I am sorry to say that you may have to rely on experimentation to determine what will be the best solvent to cut the wax lubricant that you are dealing with.

It is too bad that you are experiencing this terrible problem. I hope that the information that I have provided will help you.
  7. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I use the lee liqid alox to. just keep the die clean you will be ok. do not clean it off the lead no need to.