Reloading location

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wmjstu, Sep 9, 2008.

1. wmjstu

wmjstu New Member

I'm not only new to the forum, but also to reloading. I must say I've been getting good advice from y'all. I've just ordered a Lee Classic Turret Press and accessories and am looking forward to it. It may not be the best, but should be good to learn on and produce the shells I need. There is one question I have, and haven't seen much, if any discussion on, and that is where to do the reloading. Inside I have carpeted areas pretty much throughout, and I've seen that I shouldn't reload there. I have a garage with room to reload, but then I work about dust, humitity, etc. Where do you reload, and any ideas for me. I appreciate you feedback.
    Thanks,
    Stu
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Don't worry too much about reloading in a carpeted room, yes it can be messy if there is a spill, and defintely DON'T USE A VACUUM CLEANER TO PICK UP POWDER! I would suggest some type of overlayment under your press and work area.

A plastic or vinyl floor protector likey they use under rolling chairs in an office would work nicely (be cautious of static buildup with these, spraying them with a soap and water solution then letting them dry without rincing with stop that).

A rubber mat or a piece of plywood will work just as well. Even a old area rug will do the job.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of reloading. I have been a member for about a year but I don't post very often. You can learn alot from just reading the posts because there is a world of information here.

I have a metal building in my back yard where I do my reloading. I have my presses mounted onto home made benches in that building. I keep the bullets and most of my dies in the building.

I would not even consider leaving the powder in the building, I live in Georgia where we have a little heat and humidity. It stays in the house where the tempurature and humidity are controlled.

I would say to use the garage but I would suggest that you leave the gunpowder in the house and just take out the container that you are using for whatever load you are working on. It is actually safer to not clutter up your bench with several containers of powder at a time, anyway (no chances of making a mistake)
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Welcome! I like reloading because it gives me total control in my shooting activities, and it's a way of doing 'gun things' when the weather is bad, or I can't make it to the range.

I sort, polish, and deprime in an area in my garage, bringing brass into my reloading room as I need it, on loading blocks, usually in batches of 50 or 100. Doing these activities in the garage keeps my reload room much cleaner than it was when I did everything in there.

My reload room is the old laundry room just off from my kitchen. gd has a good point in keeping your bench free from clutter and different canisters of propellant.

Speaking of bench, you'll need a secure surface to attach your press onto, something that is not 'wobbly', so you can get good readings from your scale. I built one that's bolted to two walls, with small shelves for storage bins above, and larger shelves below for propellant storage. On one side of the bench is a large desk light with an adjustable arm for extra light.

I don't heat my house in the winter, or cool it in the summer, so I have to be certain to keep the propellant canisters firmly sealed. The only issue that I see with having carpet in your loading area, is that primers can be hard to find if you drop one, and that the carpet might get pretty soiled from your activities. I have a relative that has reloaded for almost fifty years now, and carpet really hasn't presented any problems, other than the ones mentioned above.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I converted an unused bedroom into a "gun room". I reload there and repair guns there. It is carpeted except the reloading area sits on a rubber mat. The mat is electrically conductive (an anti-static mat as used in production areas in electronic assembly manufacturing). I live in a desert area and static elctricity is everywhere and dangeous for reloading. A spark could easily start a powder fire...hence the anti-staic mat that is grounded to a grounded electrical wall outlet.

It is no fun to reload in a hot or cold garage or un-temperature/humiduity controlled out building. I have been reloading in an unused bedroom for over 20 years. The house environment is ideal for powder/primer storage. But it probably is not ideal if you ever have a house fire. But everything is a compromise.

If you cast bullet you must do that either outside or in an extremely well ventilated area like a garage with the main door open and that may not be sufficient ventilation. Lead fumes are extremely dangerous! That's one reason I don't cast bullets but buy cast bullets instead.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  6. wmjstu

wmjstu New Member

I appreciate all the helpful advice. I'll probably use the spare bedroom now that I know how to set up the reloading station and what to watch out for. I look forward to learning more from this forum, as I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get more involved. Thanks again.
    Stu
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

One other thing, I tied the bench to the wall behind it with a stud layed cross ways and tied into the wall studs, then screwed onto the back of the bench. The reloading bench is solid as a rock and that is what you need for some of the harder to size cases.

LDBennett
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Heck, don't use a vacuum cleaner to pick up powder, don't even use a vacuum cleaner to clean an indoor range!

GLOCK has an indoor range near their offices in the Atlanta area. Not too long ago, they had an incident where someone cleaning the range with a vacuum cleaner found out what happens when the unburned powder residue ignites in the vac. OOPS!!!
  9. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Heck, I don't even use a vacuum cleaner to clean my house, I rake the carpets every few months or so!
  10. Shellback

Shellback New Member

I built a 12x24 building in my backyard, I do all my own smithing and reloading there, it gets so hot and humid here in Oklahoma I put in air conditioning, since I'm a plumber I put a sink in and ran compressed air from my garage to my shop so I can have air outlets at both my bench's. I store all my supplys there powder included, I do my reloading on one side and have my metal lath and mill on the other side and it's all protected by Saiga and Sig..
    Tim
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I reload in my basement with a concrete floor for easy cleanup.
  12. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I reload in the garage because the boss, I mean wife doesn't want me to reload inside. It's not bad because my furnace is tied into the garage also so I can control the temp in there. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the classic turret. I have been reloading on one for two years and it's a very solid press.
    Rusty
  13. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I converted an unused bedroom into a gun room as well. When I spill powder on the carpet, I use the vacuum hoze nozzle to vaccum it up. That way there is no chance of the roller brush creating a spark from static electricity and starting a fire. Just use common sense and have at least one 10 lbs. dry chemical fire extinquisher on hand, and you will be fine.
  14. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

Something to think about... Woodworkers use shop-vacs to vacuum up sawdust all the time. And believe it or not, sawdust is more flammable and explosive than smokeless powder at atmospheric pressure. But that is on hard surfaces with no agitator brush, not with vacuum cleaners used on carpet. So while vacuuming smokeless powder is fine, using a carpet vacuum with agitator brush may not be. I would also use a vacuum that does not run the debris through the impeller on the way to the bag (the way a lot of old uprights do). I use one of those cordless floor vacs, but leave the brush turned off to vacuum up spilled powder from my tile floor.

Andy
  15. tom vito

tom vito New Member

I did the unused bedroom for reloading and gun storage for years while we were renting. Now that we bought a house it is done in the basement with the concert floor. It was really nice to be able to spread out a little.