1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Reloading Manual Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jpg5324, Aug 24, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

steve4102:

While reloading manuals vary, the safest thing for a new reloader is to follow one, any one, exactly. Allowing a person, newly to reloading, the flexibility to vary only invites a mistake. We are not optimizing a load for a particular gun but getting his feet wet and doing it totally safely.

I did not suggest that he use the same gun or barrel or even case as the recipe calls out but only:

"Same bullet, same powder, same primer, same dimensions for Cartridge Overall Length (COL)"

Deviations from the recipes lies in the future of the new reloader and should not be suggest as a starting point as a new reloader has no idea what is sensitive and could cause a serious problem. I personally will not take the legal responsibility to recommend anything different. Now if you want to take on that responsibility be my guest and be sure to give the new reloader your name and address so his lawyer can contact you if there is a problem.

Reloading if done wrong can be dangerous. Reloading manual publishers list recipes known to be safe in most any gun or they might be held legally responsible for any blowup. BE SAFE!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Flip a coin would work, but, at my house I only have a few different powders on hand. If I want to reload, I check the manual for the recipe provided for the powders that I have on hand. If you asked me for a recipe for a .45ACP round, I would give you something from the AA reloading manual, because that's the powder I use for .45APC. If you have a specific bullet weight, say 230gr FMJ, then you would get:
    AA No.2, 230gr SIE FMJ, 4.6grs min, @ 769fps, to 5.4grs, max, @ 881fps, max load = 20,800psi, 1.250 col, or you could get:
    AA No.5, 230gr NOS FMJ, 7.8grs, @ 816fps, 8.7grs, @ 927fps, max load = 19,300psi, 1.250 col.

When I started reloading I wanted cheap, so I could shoot more. I didn't really care what powder gave the best results in the .44 Mag Ruger Black Hawk. I knew I couldn't shoot the gun as well as a master shooter, so accuracy wasn't the goal, it was shoot more for less money! I still use that principle today!
  3. LDBennett

carver:

Are you new to reloading? The poster is. The poster needs to work in some confinement to assure no problems and reasonable results. I too would flip a coin as to which manual to use but also suggest starting loads and keep to the recipe listed there.

All the variability suggested by others here is perfectly good recommendations for a reloader with some experience but not for someone who is new to reloading. We should not be recommending anything that could even possibly get that new reloader into trouble (down playing the exact recipe gives him the freedom to make a serious mistake). The manual publishers risk law suits so you can be sure their recipes are safe, extra safe, when the starting loads are used.

It is wise to explain that some variability is allowed but not in the first reloads from the new reloader.

This is my opinion and others obviously have a different outlook on safety than me. The new reloaders can decide for themselves. I only offer what I think to be safe.

LDBennett
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

You are disagreeing with lab tested inoformation published in the Lyman 49th reloading manual, I'm not offended. Although I'm interested why you would try to lead a new reloader in a direction away from the guidlines of safety and lab tested information.

+1

+2
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The tested information was not tested in the OP's firearm. The Tested OAL may not function correctly in the OP's firearm. Although this is less of a issue in a revolver, it is a huge issue in a semi-auto. First and foremost the handloaded ammo has to Fit-Feed-Fire. After all, if it does not fit-feed and fire there is no need to worry about pressures is there.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

First off, you know that your imput is valued by me, but I've been reloading for over 35 years, and so far, only one mistake, I forgot the powder, and that was 30 years ago! I have not recomended anything that is unsafe, as the recipes I listed are straight form the reloading manual. The OP will be working within confinements, he will be confined to the gun he owns, even if the exact same gun isn't listed in the dang reloading manual! He is further confined by the powder he has chosen to use, according to the manual he has chosen to follow. He is further confined to the type, and make of bullet he has chosen, again, hopefully, according to the manal. A new reloader needs only to read the manual he has chosen to use, and learn the correct way to reload. If the new guys would READ the MANUAL we wouldn't have these discussions! Where in the manual, any manual, does it say that the load printed can only be used in a gun like the test gun?
  7. carver

carver Moderator

I think Mr. Bennett asked the wrong guy if he was new to reloading!
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

JPG5324,

Well now that your original post has drifted this far off topic, it looks as if you ARE reading your manuals and asking around for clarification. I hope you can wade through the ego's and find the simple answers you need to go have fun in a safe manner.

Lesson #1 - read your manuals
    Lesson#2 - forget the information you aquired from the internet about reloading, especially specific load data, it is entirely too unreliable for your safety sake.
  9. LDBennett

steve4102:

That is why we have standards for chamber sizes and cartridge dimension that most all manufactures of guns and ammo adhere to. If they didn't then no ammo manufacturer would be able to make ammo that fits and works in all guns for that particular cartridge size.

Admittedly, some semi-autos need more than starting charges but usually it is guns that have been screwed with and have recoil springs not factory standard. There, of course, are exceptions but few report here that starting loads don't operate their semi-auto guns. It is not a universal problem. Besides, the poster was after help for 38 spl loads which fit in a revolver and no starting load will be a problem in a revolver. (Yes I know about the semi-auto S&W Model 52 in 38SPL because I have one and I load it to an exact published recipe for only that gun with no variations.)

I understand tailoring a load for a specific gun to get the best in operational and accuracy performance from it. But that is STAGE 2 in learning to reload, not STAGE 1, where this new reloader is at.

LDBennett
  10. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

jpg5324
    I hope you don't run away.....:)
  11. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Back to the Original question. Answer, it is neither the Min or Max for this bullet .
    It is simply what Lyman used during their testing. Hornady, Hodgdon, Accurate, Ramshot and Lyman all used a different OAL for this bullet. Use the OAL that best fits and functions in YOUR Firearm. As always, start low and work up.
  12. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

If you have a Lyman 49th, read the individual bullet weight data columns, all that was asked is what the OAL, BC and SD under each bullet weight meant. NOTHING ELSE. How do details of function testing semi autos relate to a thread concerning a 38?

Fit,Feed,Fire is 99.9% successful when resizing cartriges and seating bullets withing SAAMI specs, this is how commercial manufacturers produce ammunition to the public that works in most of our firearms. Again, this information is in load manuals, which when following them will produce ammunition that works well. The remaining information convoluting this thread is saturated with opinions and ego that guide a new reloader in a questionable direction, nuff said
  13. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

No... No running away for me......Thanks for all the good input (sorry for the heated discussion...all questions have been answered.;)
  14. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

Wow, I don't know what brought all that on but I will say that If you look at the same load in speer's manual or hornady or Hodgdon they will all have different loading's for the same bullet. I have found hornady's loads to be on the light side. but just from my own note's I would say the 6grns of power pistol will be a +p load or close to it. the lyman manual could of had a typo and they ment 5.8max. the 4.8max that's not even close to max.
  15. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

Just looked at my Hornady manual and 38spl 158grn XTP with 6.0grns of powerpistol is a +p load. If you look at the load that's in the red there is a note at the bottom red= +p.