Reloading Manuals

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by quadcrazy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. quadcrazy

quadcrazy New Member

I'm new to reloading and would like some recommendations on reloading manuals. I have the Lyman 49th Edition but now I'm looking for a large selection of recipes for handgun (38 special) rifle (30-06) and shotgun (12 ga.). I'm finding a few recipes here and there but would like to find one or two books loaded with recipes. Is there such a thing as one manual that has every possible combination imaginable?

Thanks
  2. scrat

scrat New Member

NOPE.

too many combinations. Every powder company will have a load manual then every bullet company has a manual then reloading component companies have a reloading manual. Then to confuse even more you will find variations from one source to another. why is this because most load data is done using test guns with test barrels in ideal environments then written down. however this data will vary from gun to gun. So the best advice anyone will tell you is 1. you can never get enough load data. if you would like some free manuals check out the powder companies. Hogdon, Winchester, IMR. go to their sites.. you will see usually a link wher you can fill out and they will mail you load data manuals. then best thing to do is compare ask questions and when you can buy some more.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Of the common big company reloading manuals the older full size Hodgdon manuals gave recipes for IMR and Winchester right along side their own powders. Bullet manufacturers tend to list many different powders for their bullets. But there is nothing like having a library of reloading manuals and studying them to help in the initial choice of bullet, powder and load levels. I have many editions of Speer, Sierra, Hodgdon, Hornady, Lyman, Barnes, Accurate Arms, and others. I refer to most of them often.

Lee's reloading manual also tends to list loads from a variety of manuals. But be careful in reading the text. Lee, the man, is very arrogant and totally believes only he knows how to make reloading equipment, which obviously is not true if you have ever owned any of his cheapy products (some are good and others not so good, in my opinion).

LDBennett
  4. dammitman

dammitman Member

i will tell you what, just join loaddata.com its worth the money,,,,,,,,,
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Here's my list in order of preference.

Lyman (already have)
    Hornady
    Sierra
    Lee (yes, he is very arrogant, but does have some good info/great data)
    Speer
    Nosler
    Barnes
    OneCalibers/LoadbooksUSA

I have 6 manuals and a couple OneCalibers, they all get used. I'm sure I'll pick up some more as time goes on also.
    Not sure which manual would be best suited for 12ga, as I don't reload any shotshell. No one manual will "do it all", and I'm 100% certain that if there was one, that I would still use the others also.
  6. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

The manual with by far the most loads is the Second Edition Lee manual. For 30-06 it has thirteen pages of loads.
  7. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

+ 1,000!! ;)

SR