Reloading Press Shellplate LED light System

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1in9twist, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

Thank you for checking out this thread. As a safety habit, I always look down inside my cases before setting a bullet to double check the powder level. It isn’t easy to get light directly inside the press cage with-out having some hot, glaring gooseneck light in the way. In looking at ways to solve this problem, I have come up with this item and design. It features a 110 to 12v adaptor wired to a 6 LED flexible strip which has a piece of 3M Redline doublestick tape on it. I did not wire in a switch as I figured it would be plugged into a multi-outlet strip. The LED’S put out a ton of light and zero heat. They are also sealed inside a clear silicone casing. The LED strip mounts to the inside beam of just about any press flooding the shellplate with bright white light.

So the question is, do you think you would purchase something such as this and at what price point would it be worth it? It is not a cheap item to produce, but really does the job. I did not want anything with batteries, as the LEDS get dimmer as they the batteries discharge and are expensive. The LED lights also have a expected lifespan of over 50,000 hours.

Prices on my website are always “Shipped” prices and if purchased with another item, it would be discounted and shipped free with that other item.
    www.inlinefabrication.com
    Your thoughts\suggestions are hereby requested. :D
    Thank you
    D

[​IMG]

In these pictures below, there were NO other lights on and no camera flash.
    [​IMG]
    Left Side
    [​IMG]
    Right side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

looks like a winner to me!
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Right nifty...I got a bucket full of old transformers...find me some LEDs and rig up one for myself..:rolleyes:...I think its an excellent idea, btw...I just found some of the goose neck lights on the sale shelf at WM for only $4.00, so bought 2 yesterday..Wouldnt ya know it..
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

It looks great but what would you have to charge for it?
  5. X Ring

X Ring Member

Excellent idea, think I will be headed to Radio Shack shortly.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Great timing for me! I just dabbled around with cheap reading style light on my own LNL and you are spot on with the term "gooseneck" in the way of looking down inside your powder filled casings.

Its difficult to think of a pricepoint on an item like this. Remember as reloaders we all have a few thrifty bones in our bodies otherwise we would be shooting factory ammo and not trying to pinch cost on our ammo. Personally, I would consider this item at least as valueable as a powder cop die, this will reduce the chances of a double charge or squib if you are paying attention, so I would say $25-$30 for your excellent idea. The only thing you face now is people trying to copy it since you have broadcasted the item on the web!
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

8. V509

V509 Member

great idea!!
    I have a buddy that remodels retail shops and he gave me some track lighting which was removed from a shoe store. I have that above my reloading area but have to be using WAY more electricity than your idea
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

1 in 9 grab a DS 1919-34 tectronics USB/led board, that way you dont need the big transformer and you can run it via a USB link , lower your costs , and USB cable , are cheap so you can make em 10ft.. and 110V-USB plugs are about $4 a pop

dont have to use the tectronics find the maker of any LED /USB laptop reading light get the board

buy a dozen to test , they're about a buck each plus postage

cheers
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

That is very slick ... I use a goose neck LED light so no heat build up either but I like yours better other then I can run my LED on battery power.
  11. X Ring

X Ring Member

I just ordered one. I was going to make one myself but the price is so good it would not be worth the aggravation. I will post my honest opinion of it after testing.
  12. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

cool, i like... how many hours do you get from these leds before they die?
  13. skyfire1

skyfire1 New Member

Yeap that is a good idea.
  14. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

Roughly 50,000 hours. You will need wrist,arm & shoulder replacements before the LED'S burn out. :D
  15. X Ring

X Ring Member

Got it and am in the process of testing.
    [​IMG]
    Pic was taken with ONLY the LEDs on. You can see it is really bright.
    It’s a tight fit on the 650 but with careful placement works well. The on/off switch is really cheaply made and probably will not hold up to much abuse. As with most things the cord could be longer. Light is bright and improves visibility ten fold where it counts the most as pic showes. The LEDs will probably outlast the transformer but it would be easily replaced. It is worth the price paid and I am happy with it.
    More pics here
    http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/Wynn3/Dillon Press Light/