reloading problem never had before

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by oldfartrr, Jun 30, 2012.

1. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

good evening all,,just found this forum so my first time here,,
    first things,, have been reloading since 1968 for an old 303,,, now reload for 303,6mm,30-06,30-30,, also 32acp,38,357,40sw,45acp,45 long colt,44mag,,ya i know toooo many toys ;)
    any way,,, loaded 40 sw cci primers win231 powder , fireing pin leaves a bit light (in my opinion) marks but no problems, shoots fine,,in a star firestar..also a barretta 96,SW model 27
    now the problem,, same primers, same powder but in 38 special and 357 very heavy fireing pin marks,, out of 10 rounds willnot fire 2-3 rounds,, and some will fire primer but not the powder and get a fffwwwtttt sound and bullet falls out this is in a SW model 60-10 five shot,,
    does anyone have any ideas,,am at my wits end trying to figure this out ????
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

that is weird ..
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

flash holes clean after tumble? no media left in the hole?
  4. dbach

dbach Member

I've had a few FTF using CCI primers lately. About 3 out of 50 or so. The primer has a dimple in it but no Boom! Nothing. I even tried to fire one of them again .... no joy.
  5. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

the flash holes where all clean, check each one,, the ones that didnt fire i pulled the bullets and there was powder,, all the primers used in both guns came out of the same box,, this box came out of a brick of 1000 that was #4 of the brick,,
    its driven me nuckinfutz,, problem first appeared 3 days ago,, loaded a box of each cal yesterday,, this morning same problem,,, couple guys at the range i was talking to, told me this is a normal reloading problem,,, dam flatlanders,, they kinda backed up when i told them had been reloading over 40yrs,, something i have never seen !!
    also the flash holes where all reamed several loads back,,, when i pulled the bullets of the ones that didnt fire (7 from 30 rounds half 38 half 357) even weighed the powder and correct load.
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have allways had problems with cci primers. Switch to something else. Federal or Remington that problem will go away.

typ with cci primers, out of 100 you can count on 5 not working.
  7. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

have never had problem with cci primers,, last 3yrs 2 bricks no failures, only with this gun SW 60-10,, not a soft strike almost goes thru primer,, hmmmm wonder it that may be the case ??? other 5 guns dont leave as much of a strike ??
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Out of curiosity what are the loads, powder charge, bullet, crimp etc. that are giving you trouble?
    Also, what do you mean by this?
  9. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with CCI either. In fact it was all I could buy local for 5 years.
  10. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

bullets i use for plinking are hard cast,,light crimp to keep the bullet from moving,, win 231 powder 4.6 grain-40cal-180g bullet , 6.5g-357-158g bullet, 4.1g-38-158g bullet
    **flash holes are drilled and deburred for uniformity as usual practice
    these loads put thru barretta 96,(2) star starfire, SW MP shield, for the 40 cal,,,SW model 27,SW model 10, SW 60-10 for the 357-38 cal,,
    only have problem with the SW 60-10 and it has the deepest primer strike, probably 4 time as deep as all the others, and all very uniform with no variation in strike pattern.
    the 2 stars have the lightest strike and no problem what so ever,, no misfires in any of the others.
    feel like i am in the twilighzone over this.

also as stated in prev post,, the ones that didnt fire i pulled the bullets and there was powder,, and the primers have not fired,,

think i may have found the problem ?? the other guns leave a sharper imprint on the primer while the 60-10 looks more like it was pushed into the primer face it is rounded in,,??? maybe the hammer is not fast enough, hits hard but not a sharp or fast impact (like it pushes into the primer instead of a snap) if that makes any sense, found this looking at the primers under a microscope at x20,, will play with the hammer and see what developes.
    thanks to everyone for trying to help,, will post results of further playing
  11. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the spent casings?
  12. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

In my 30+ years of reloading the only 2 times I've had FF with CCI primers was a reduced power hammer spring on a S&W 625 and some 12 gauge duck loads that got wet. how old are your primers? where do you store them? It could be that someone was asleep at CCI, everyone has a bad day. I had some bad Winchester primers maybe 10yrs ago, soo I use CCI and Fed now.:)
  13. mikld

mikld Active Member

Have you tried to fire the "duds" a second time. My first thought was the primers were not being seated completely in the .38 brass, but deep enough in the 9mm...
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

About 40 years of reloading and I have never had a problem with CCI primers and use them most of the time. Sometimes I have to settle for other primers but prefer CCI.

Contaminated powder and firing pin problems are the only thing that I can think of that can cause the problem you are describing.
  15. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I use winchester primers and have never had that problem.Have you tried using the same primers but load a different caliber and see what happens?