The Firearms Forum banner

RELOADING QUESTION

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
I LOAD MULTIPLE RIFLE CALIBERS. RECENTLY WENT TO THE RANGE WITH MY SON AND WE WERE BOTH SHOOTING REMINGTON MODEL 7 IN 7mm-08. THE FIRST RELOAD THAT I CHAMBERED IN MY GUN......NO PROBLEM. THE SECOND I
COULD NOT CLOSE THE BOLT. THIRD AND FOURTH NO PROBLEM, FIFTH AND SIX, AGAIN BOLD WOULD NOT CLOSE. HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH 30-06 ALSO.
MY RELOADS WOULD CHAMBER WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM IN MY GUN (A RIFLE THAT MY DAD PURCHASED FROM THE NRA WHEN HE GOT OUT OF THE ARMY IN 1945) BUT CERTAIN RELOADS WOULD NOT CHAMBER IN MY SONS REMINGTON MODEL 700 BDL. I JUST ASSUMED THAT MY GUN WAS A LITTLE MORE FORGIVING AND THAT WAS WHY I NEVER GAVE IT ANY MORE THOUGHT UNTIL NOW. ANY IDEA AS TO WHAT MIGHT BE GOING ON HERE. I'M A LITTLE CONCERNED. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP IN THIS MATTER.
dmole_1952

#3 ·
dmole_1952:

You don't have your full length sizing die set up correctly or you have failed to trim the cases to the trim length in the manual. You also could have the over all length (OAL) too long and the bullets are bumping into the throat of barrel (the beginning of the rifling). Note also that you can not reload for two guns with only neck sizing... you must full length size if you expect to use the ammo in more than one gun.

For the resizing die, read the instruction and get the die into the press correctly for full length sizing. For the trim problem read your reloading manual and trim the brass to the correct length, never exceeding the max case length spec (you trim it back typically 0.010 inches shorter than that max case length). Trimming has to be done AFTER sizing. Don't exceed the max cartridge OAL listed in the manual.

No two guns have chambers exactly alike. It is the nature of the process but all commercial guns fit into a range of sizes controlled by the industry. If one gun is tight the next may be loose. If you exceed any of the measurements in reloading manuals, the cartridges may not fit in some guns. Do it right and they will fit all guns commercially made.

You need to review your reloading processes. Re-read your reloading manual, and follow the instruction there. Those that follow those direction just don't have problems like yours.

The correct forum for a question like yours is the reloading forum farther down the page. You are very welcome there and you will find huge amounts of reloading information from people who know reloading. After your review of your reloading processes and your re-read of the reloading manuals, please feel free to go there to ask any questions you may have. I think you will be answered quickly (I go there every day, usually and go there to help people with reloading problems exactly like yours along with more advanced problems as well.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.