The Firearms Forum banner

reloading question?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
What does reloaded ammo do to your gun compared to factory ammo? The pros are obvious but what are the cons?

#2 ·
There are no cons! The only possible damage to your firearm would be an over loaded cartridge, and that is your mistake, not the reloading process.

#3 · (Edited)
There are no cons!
That's what I'm thinking as well Carver. If anything, properly reloaded ammo would be the same or better for a firearm. It could be loaded to exactly what the factory produces, only better, or it could be downloaded to give the shooter and firearm a more pleasant experience.

Case in point: I have a new 44 mag that will never see a factory round. I can load the equivalent to factory fodder or I can load rounds that are less potent that would be easier on me and the gun. In this scenario the firearm (and my wrists) both last longer. If you are talking about the life of a firearm, then I would speculate that shooting reloads would extend the life of the firearm (number of rounds ran through it) because most likely not all rounds would be full house, rip snortin, tear 'em up rounds.

#4 ·
No negative effects unless you are stupid or have a mishap changing the load away from specs. If you are not careful or dont know what you are doing, this can happen quiclkly, but properly loaded ammo is just as good or better than any factory ammo.

#5 ·
As far as overcharges, etc; take a look at all the factory recalls over the years and especially in the last 24 months; just because it's factory does NOT mean that its automatically "safe" to shoot or any safer than reloads. Therefore, the only "con" I see is that it you must take the time to reload, but I think that is time well spent.

#7 ·
This may sound a bit anal, but I check every case in my loading block with a flashlight before I seat bullets, expecially pistol cases where the charge doesn't fill the case. Powder charges for rifle for the most part take up much more than half the case so a double charge would be very obvious as powder spills out. Additionally, if I am dropping powder instead of weighing each charge, I weigh every 10th to 15th case by emptying the powder charge onto my scale. May take a few extra minutes at the bench, but I'm certain to make sure something doesn't go bad.

#8 ·
There are several financial 'cons' to reloading mostly stemming from shooting more and buying more reloading toys and components and then buying more guns in different calibers just so you CAN reload for them - lol

Other than that? Correctly made reloads are no diffeent than so-called 'factory' ammo. Other than perhaps being made to a higher standard or a more custom application.

#9 ·
There are several financial 'cons' to reloading mostly stemming from shooting more and buying more reloading toys and components and then buying more guns in different calibers just so you CAN reload for them - lol

Other than that? Correctly made reloads are no diffeent than so-called 'factory' ammo. Other than perhaps being made to a higher standard or a more custom application.
Touch'e Randy Touch'e
:yeahthat:

#12 ·
This may sound a bit anal, but I check every case in my loading block with a flashlight before I seat bullets, expecially pistol cases where the charge doesn't fill the case. Powder charges for rifle for the most part take up much more than half the case so a double charge would be very obvious as powder spills out. Additionally, if I am dropping powder instead of weighing each charge, I weigh every 10th to 15th case by emptying the powder charge onto my scale. May take a few extra minutes at the bench, but I'm certain to make sure something doesn't go bad.
You may be my twin! I do exactly the same thing, any steps you can take that make it safer also adds to the fun at the range. Sometime back, I loaded an empty case and fired it in my .357 snubby, the projectile jammed in the breech, and it took a bit of effort with a small metal punch to remove. I am just grateful that I noted the lack of recoil and checked for the problem. Since then, I follow your procedures. Hopefully, I won't ever repeat the jam.

#13 ·
Cowboy and Clipper - we are triplets:D:D. I am pretty sure that there are bunches of us actually. Even when I am using the Dillon, I check every case before it goes to the bullet seating stage. I have a shop light mounted right above the press so the I can see down into every case!

#14 ·
Same here, I have a bright light sitting on the top shelf that shines down into my cases.

#15 ·
I too am from the "Use yer eyes dammit!" school of thought and visually check powder level in each round I load. My loads are less harmful, less wear and tear, to my guns than factory ammo. I shoot lead bullets in all my guns and rarely get close to maximum loads, so my guns don't take a "Magnum Beating" when I shoot 'em...

#16 ·
What are the pro's and con's of using reloaded ammo in your gun?

Pro's:

Reloads are less expensive to shoot or you can spend the same money and shoot more.

You can tailor the ammo to exactly what your gun likes to maximize the accuracy (rarely do two identical guns like exactly the same ammo recipe).

You can shoot down loaded ammo so as to save the gun and/or you.

There is the joy of making something.

Con's:

Virtually no gun manufacturer will honor their warrantee if you have shot reloads in it and it is broken (just don't ever tell a gun manufacture that you shot reloads in their gun!). Virtually every instruction manual that comes with a new gun reveals this. They do this because there are some dummy reloaders out there that produce overloads that stress and sometimes break guns. Commercial ammo is usually much safer in that respect (but not always!).

Poorly made reloaded ammo can break your gun and maybe you.

I have many, many guns and virtually none have ever seen commercially loaded ammo. I reload for over 30 different cartridges. I have had a mistake or two over the last 20+ years and fortunately neither me or the guns were harmed. In each case it was my mistake which I quickly learned from. In each case I had deviated from the reloading manual's instructions (BAD!!!).

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.