Reloading question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DennisA, Oct 6, 2011.

1. DennisA

DennisA New Member

Using 27 grains of H322 in a 6.8 spc cartridge. Why does the powder shake around inside the casing. Does not do so with factory loads. Scale was checked and is working correctly. Was suggested to put in "dacron", has anyone else tried this? BTW first time here... Hello.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

First, don't use dacron. This used to be a common reloading technique for light powder loads. You use a little wad of something light - I've heard of cotton balls, dacron, kapok from an old life jacket, little wads of toilet paper - to keep the small powder charge to the back of the cartridge nearer the primer. Modern reloading manuals say not to do this. That the practice has been tested and proven to be dangerous.

Very few powder charges are going to fill the case completely to the bottom of the bullet, so shaking the case you will normally hear the powder moving around. It is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Actually, I like it. If I can hear the powder moving around, I know I did not miss putting a charge in that one.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

More details of your load, please.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    18" 2.290" 110gr VMAX H322 28.0grs, 2546fps, 47378fp pressure, starting load. I've got questions about your load???!!!!
  5. DennisA

DennisA New Member

SSA brass: BR-2 SR primer: 115gr. nosler: 27gr. H322.
  6. DennisA

DennisA New Member

Thanks Alpo.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Denni-sA, First Welcome to the forum! Now, where did you find this load? The information I have says that you are below the starting load for the round you are re-loading.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

9. carver

carver Moderator

Thanks!
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The Hornady 7th manual lists 25.4gr of H322 as the starting load and 28.1gr max with 110gr. They specify dropping the charges 10% for the 115gr that they have listed.

I don't have a Nosler manual so I don't know if they've got any data for the 6.8SPC and I don't reload for that cartridge either. Just sharing data from the Hornady manual that supports his charge weight for the bullet weight.

That out of the way...
    It's common for a powder charge to not completely fill a case. A full case up to the base of the bullet is called 100% load density. A smaller charge and yes you'll hear the powder shaking around. Any more powder and it will be a compressed load.
    A slower burning powder will typically be bulkier and give you closer to 100% load density, where a faster powder usually has a smaller volume and you'll have more airspace inside the case.
    Personally, I tend to prefer a load that is as close to 100% load density as possible for more consistent powder placement in the case. I honestly don't know exactly how much this affects velocity but it's just one more variable I like to trim out of the shooting equation.
    If you're shooting downhill, a low density charge might sit near the the case mouth with the air space back by the flash hole. Uphill, the powder charge will be by the flash hole.
    In an autoloader, all bets are off on consistent powder placement anyway as the cases get chambered pretty forcefully...so (like in a carried hunting rifle) who knows where the charge will end up inside the case when you actually pull the trigger.

You might check into some slower burning powders to get closer to a 100% load density if this is a concern.
  11. DennisA

DennisA New Member

Carver: Load came from Hornady 115 otm similar to nossler 115 otm. Correction:BR-4 primer not BR-2
    Bindernut: I will try slower burn powder.

Thanks guys!
    Nice to have a place to mull stuff over.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't have a 6.8 so I don't have any answers for you, I just wanted to take a second to welcome you to The forum!
  13. DennisA

DennisA New Member

14. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

How much shooka-shooka are you experiencing, how much extra room in the case?
    27gr of 322 should just about be 100% load density. 28.2 is compressed.:confused:
    Are you sure your scale is correct?