The Firearms Forum banner

Reloading questions?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  drymag 
#1 ·
I am looking into getting a single stage press, and I am finding alot of good info on the internet but a few questions I have , haven't been answered. Its mainly about dies. Do I have to have different dies for every caliber like 30-06,.308,.300wsm? arent the bullets the same size? im sure this would be explained in a book, i just dont have the patience for the book to get here.

#3 ·
Yes, you need different dies for each caliber, with a few (very few) exceptions, such as 38 Special and 357 magnum, or 45 Colt and 454 Casull.

The fact that the bullets are the same size has little to do with it. To reload you must squeeze the cartridge case back down to its original size, and the cartridges are all different lengths and diameters.

#4 ·
The inside of the die is like negative of the outside of the cartridge case. As you push the cartridge case up into the die, the case gets squeezed back into shape.

All of these are 30 caliber cartridges, and as such use the same diameter bullet. But, as you can see, none of them are the same size, so none would fit the same die.

#5 ·
Welcome, Alex! Alpo has provided an excellent answer to your question, as he always does. But since you're bound to have more as you get involved in this addictive hobby, I suggest that you check out our really awesome Reloading forum further down the list. There's lots of smart people here, and all are happy to help!:D

#6 ·
Yup, as the others said. different die for each cartridge with limited exceptions.

You may find it easier to reload in a family of similar materials at first.

IE.. 308 and 30-06 using the same projectile.. that's one less supply to buy right off the bat. same primers. some powders depending.. etc. and different die sets.

read read read before you load load load

:)

PS.. if it was me. i'd have the realod manual that goes with each projectile manufacturer i was using. IE. if using sierra projectiles. get a sierra book, if using hornady projectiles.. get a hornady book.

while you can always generically match up projectile weight and profile to get a load. looking up the exact number means you have exact tested data.

#8 ·
Yup, as the others said. different die for each cartridge with limited exceptions.

read read read before you load load load

:)
At the point your at in regards to reloading,1 or better yet 2 of any brand book would likely answer many of your questions you must have.Unfortunately there is no substitute for reading a reloading manual that I am aware of.There are books more suited for you than others but any book is better than none.Then there are plenty of folks more than happy to help you here. Joe

#9 ·
Sorry i went looking for a reloading forum, didnt look in the sub forums :p i havent purchased anything but a book http://amzn.com/B00B52LFJC . figured I should know more than what caliber I wanna start. It will probly be a few months before I can actually start, gonna go piece by piece.

#11 ·
The resizing dies are unique to each cartridge except for similar straight wall cartridges like 38/357. The seating and crimp dies tend to be more universal within that same caliber. To be clear, caliber is a diameter such as 0.308" and not a specific chamber or cartridge such as 30-06.

Most die manufacturers have a table of which dies and shell holders to use with various cartridges. For example, the Hornady seat & crimp die for the 30-06 is the same as the 300WIN MAG, but the 308 WIN seat & crimp die is different and fits other smaller cartridges such as the 30-30 and 300 Savage. On the other hand LEE lists a unique factory crimp die SKU for each of these cartridges, though I suspect that there may in fact be some duplication.

#12 ·
Don't know how much you want to spend on the reloading hobby, but you can go really economical or really expensive. If Economical route: I'd suggest you try a good used single stage press with a set of dies for the gun you shoot the most and a manual for the bullet you will be using. You can soak brass for cleaning them enough to shoot and save there until you decide if you want to stay with the hobby. Figure a pound of powder is 7000 grains (divide your load amount into 7000 and see aprox cost per round). Primers are bout 30-35 dollars around here for 1000 (cost divided by 1000 for cost per round). Bullets vary but around 8-16 cents each for pistol round pending quantity purchased. Cases can be picked up at range but need to inspect them well. I have some range brass that have been shot a bunch. If one even comes close to suspect, I toss it since replacements are free. But if you like to spend, you can spend a bunch in today's dollars and that horse never seems to quit running.

#14 ·
Here are some words of wisdom:

If a person does not intend on buying several reloading manuals and reading and re-reading them until they really understand the reloading processes then DON'T BOTHER TO GET INTO RELOADING. Reloading done wrong is dangerous to you, the gun, and the innocent bystanders.

Details of reloading are sometime confusing to some and that is when you come here for help. There are many here who will help but be aware that the reloading manual is the bible of reloading and trumps your buddy's advice or that of some guy on the internet. Manufacturer's web sites are the exception because if they give out wrong information then they have a liability issue.

LDBennett

#15 ·
LD makes a good point as usual. I was told the same thing. I went thru three larger manuals and several One Book/One Caliber manuals and a bunch of vids before I actually started reloading (not to mention questions to this forum). Since then, I have added more manuals. Many experienced reloaders have their preferences but for me, being new in comparison to many on this forum, I like them all. They each offer some insight, some help clarify the other manuals point or fill in their blanks or offer something completely different.
-
When I buy manuals I buy them with sale prices or discount days. I can only read so fast so usually sales pop up thru those periods and I get a book.
-
What's nice about a book is when you read something on the forum, you can read the manual and make notes in it to help the foundations of understanding reloading a bit better.
-
Here is a short list of my manuals that have helped me (there are more manuals I want to get). These are in order that I liked and helped me gain in understanding. Some one else may have a different order or may not like one or more of these. It's all subjective:
Lee 2nd edition (either Lee or Lyman order can be reversed for me. Both good to read though Lee likes to whine a bit)
Lyman 49th edition
Sierra edition "V" 7th printing
Hornady 9th edition
Speer #14 (just added this one)
Hodgdon 2014 Annual Manual (more like a magazine but has good stuff)
One Book/One Caliber for each caliber I use (this info can be dated so verify thru a manual)
-
Couple good manual pointers I got from this forum:
-
Compare Lee's data to other manuals for comparative reasons and decide accordingly for bullets that have no manual of their own.
Go with the bullets manual for "THAT" bullet over another manual (this will also drive you to buy more manuals).
-
Most important tip: read-reread-reread-....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.