Reloading room changes

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1969SS396, Dec 30, 2010.

1. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

I've been in the process of moving my reloading area from a small cramped area in my basement to a larger area (with the wifes blessing) that is part of a finished off living room and bar area.

Thought I'd post pics as I make improvements/changes......and if anyone has any ideas I don't mind the suggestions.

At first I had a couple of leftover base cabinets and a counter top I thought might be nice to use so I started out with it looking like the first picture. I figured the counter top would need to be strengthened up, soffit above bench with lights added and a shelf built.

After living with this idea for a while I decided I didn't like the countertop and being it had a rounded front didn't seem like it was "friendly" for mounting the press on, so.....I brought out my old bench I made 20 plus years ago, put one cabinet to the side, got rid of the countertop, used the other cabinet for my shotgun reloader (need new top for that), built the soffit area above bench and finished off the suspended ceiling.

Next step is to add lights, make a set of shelves above bench for all the powder, bullets, scales, etc. Obtain a comfortable chair, mount the RCBS Jr. 2 press.

More pics as I make progress....

Attached Files:

• 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      137.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I built my first bench in one of our basement bedrooms (kids now all away at school, about gone for good too; what a drag). So mum & dad's summer bedroom in basement now has become also my weight room, reloading room, guitar room, and we sleep in upstairs bedroom. It's cool & dry average 30% humidity but I find myself constantly reloading upstairs with the wife & dogs & tvs. I can't do everything upstairs but some of the case prep.

I wish I had built bench somewhere upstairs in the first place, but the wifey wouldn't have any of it and I figured I'd rather have my space downstairs, not true. Everybody might consider the same when building a bench.

I have a tv on the bench but as much as I like Tubbs and reloading dvds, not the same as fox, hockey & football in HD.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Looks good to me! Get an office chair with wheels, and get rid of the rug. They make a plastic thingy that you you put on the floor under your chair, if you don't want to scratch up the floor.

Attached Files:

4. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Wow that place is clean rugs and hard wood floors. My loading area floor is mostly covered with spent primers metal fileings and powder. Rifles and handguns piled here and their. It takes hours to find the dies and bullets for the 4 reloading presses. What a mess. But I am going to clean it up some day, Maybe.:D
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You aint sailin that boat alone, you can be the captain and Ill be ye first mate... Arrr!
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Had a fire run years ago on a highway patrol office that did reloading in his basement. He also molded his own bullets. He had the lead burner going on one end of his bench and was doing some reloading on the other end of the bench. Best we could determine was there had been a long term buildup of powder in the cracks, corners and crevasses of his bench top which was made of individual boards none too smooth was ignited some how by the lead burner. Just a flash fire with no sustained fire but it chared sheets of paper, removed his eyebrows and shortened his hair cut and resulted in a change of pants. None of us at that time knew any thing about the reloading process. He was very shaken up and asked us kindly to keep it as quiet as possible.

Because of that incident I have always made sure I had a nice smooth surface on the bench and am meticulous about clean up.
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

That has nothing to do with sweeping up. That has to do with being real stupid. No one with any active thought process would cast lead and load ammo on the same bench. That is with exposed powder. I bet he mixes weed killer in his kitchen with the family blender.:eek:

RC
  8. dmh

dmh New Member

Very nice setup! I just last night moved my setup to the basement here. Still no actual bench but it works pretty good

[​IMG]
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

again i agree... I do my casting in the kitchen under the vent-a-hood with several old towels draped over my workspace for easy clean-up. I have no desire to burn my reloading space down. I got thousands and thousands of dollars packed in there:eek:
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yea I agree fellows. As the years went by and I got into reloading I have often thought back about that fire run. As I remember he was an armorer for the dept. course that doesn't mean he was an expert in any thing. I still have never gotten into molding my own bullets. But I have been careful about the cleanliness.
  11. Warith

Warith Member

JLA I used to cast my bullets in the kitchen but my wife got to complaining about the smell so now I only cast outside. Figure it was safer anyway.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

my wife complains too, mostly because when i cast its a 2 or 3 day affair, so we eat out those 2 or 3 nights. other than that, as long as the bank stays full, shes happy...;)
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Looks nice how about a long shelf above work bench
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Well, I must not have a lot of thought process. I don't reload and cast at the same time, but I use the same bench. I do sweep the bench off with a brush before I plug in the pot. One does not have to be stupid to use the same area.
  15. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

Yep, that is one of the things I definately need, there is a lot of wall space that would benefit from having a set of shelves.

Also I found a nice office chair as carver had mentioned.

Since the picture I also got some nice tongue and groove cedar and pine to use to cover up the soffit area......pics soon.