1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Reloading...should I or shouldn't I? ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/15/01 7:34:33 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Reloading...should I or shouldn't I?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, I look for low prices when buying ammo. I don't compete, (benchrest or bullseye etc.), so developing "pet loads", to improve accuracy or performance by a few percent isn't so important. Mainly target practice, for enjoyment, and to maintain some kind of profiency level. (Maybe 500 rounds/month or so overall).

I've kind of settled on shooting "gun-pro products" pistol ammo, a volume reloader who's always at gun shows. Good feeding, pretty clean in my pistols, (about .16/round for .45acp). Tried Georgia Arms, and didn't like it.

Just bought some .308 "Hirtenberger" ammo, from AIM surplus, $169.50/1000 plus shipping. Haven't tried the cheaper wolf brand (heard mixed reviews) or other surplus ammo (maybe y'll can pass along a good deal??!!)

Anyway, IF I were to consider reloading, for these calibers, (also shoot .40, 7.62 x 39, some .357/.38 ) what would be the typical cost per round? Am I missing out big time by not reloading, or what? Extra factor is I don't have a lot of time to spend. I know TFF has some hard-core experts...What do you think?

BlackGun
    (11/15/01 7:43:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Reloading...should I or shouldn't I?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hammer! I just got back into reloading and went the cheap (more costly, because I load bulk 10,000 rounds +) and bought a RCBS single stage press) If your wanting to start out, start out with a Dillion 550. My most humble opinion (sigh)
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

shooter22
    (11/15/01 7:53:45 pm)
    I have no experience with the Dillon, but I know thta it is of the highest quality. MY personal preference is the Hornady Lock N Load auto progressive. You can go from on pistol caliber to a rifle caliber in about five minutes. Faster if you gain experience. The dies remain set once they are set. No taking them out and have to reset them. It can be used as a single stage or auto progressive. It only puts powder charges when a casee is present. Powder charges can be dialed in with a micrometer feed, Bullet seating depth can also be measured by micrometer. I have both a single stage and the autoprogressive. I would buy another of both when money becomes available.

shooter22

AGunguy
    (11/15/01 8:10:00 pm)
    Don't have any experience with the Hornady auto progressive, but heard some good things about it.

However, I can sing the praises about the Dillon machine, I've got two of them and if you want to load volume quickly these babies can crank it out for you big time. The only reason I've two of them is one is set up for small primers and the other for large primers.

Reloading is important to me, it keeps me busy especially in the winter time when it stay in doors or freeze your butt off. It is rewarding to load your own and you really can save money...but you can become a reloading junkie, start buying every damn piece of gear you see on the market...Jeez, I've gotta have that gizzmo.

Gunguy

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/15/01 8:10:07 pm)
    I got some once fired .22's if you want to start small and work your way up......
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

BlackGun
    (11/15/01 8:47:57 pm)
    Smart A**, I need some 22 Hornet brass and some .17 brass, got any?

Oh by the way! BITE ME

I'm Serious about the brass! Honest!
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/15/01 8:49:49 pm

gpostal
    (11/15/01 9:31:18 pm)
    you can reload .22's ?

polishshooter
    (11/15/01 9:37:32 pm)
    TWICE I have had knowledgeable reloaders about 10 years apart tell me you CAN reload .22RF...uses like toy caps for primers...

BUT, I've still never seen any components, so think BOTH were pulling my leg with the same story, by coincidence....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/15/01 9:37:43 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Reloading...should I or shouldn't I?
    Ya mean 18 and 19s doncha?
    Charlie D

polishshooter
    (11/15/01 9:47:15 pm)
    Crap, I forgot the reason I meant to post...partsheimers...

I am NO rifle shooter, just started playing with it for my son's 6.5 Jap after he found out Norma for it costs $35/20....

BUT, I used to compete IPSC, NRA Action, Pins, etc and I came to the conclusion QUICKLY you cannot get good enough with any handgun without MASSIVE shooting, and even buying reloads you cannot afford to shoot that much, like 500-1000rds/week...

SOOOooo...Handgun reloading is a must.

Second, I "play" with shotguns alot, so I learned to reload years ago for them. Now I only play with exotics, because a guy can stock up with the el cheapo WW dove/quail loads, on sale for like $3/25 at a Big mart store, which aren't really that bad, for play and clay, so you won't save as much as you used to...as long as it's 12 or 20..

If you have a 16, or any other "Not Common" round for pistol/rifle, you just about HAVE to reload...

And one more thing...you won't save as much reloading for a .40 as for a .45, for example...

or a .222 vs .223, .300 vs 30-06 etc...the more common the caliber, the more available thus cheaper the components...

You can STILL find relatively cheap WWC military .45 brass, which is your biggest cost...factory .40 will run you quite a bit more...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

BlackGun
    (11/15/01 11:12:05 pm)
    OK! Dan, Tell me, how you can reload a rim fire! This will be a new one on me, but I'm so willing to learn, please expain? I don't understand the consept!

Charles D! I just bought a center fire Remington 700BDL in .17 which is reloadable. Factory ammo is $18.00 for 20
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/15/01 11:25:14 pm

gpostal
    (11/16/01 8:43:00 am)
    it was a joke bg ,i wanted to see who took the bait

Xracer
    (11/16/01 9:23:48 am)
    To get back to your question, hammer.....should you, or shouldn't you.

I can't speak for rifle calibers, never did any reloading for those.....but for pistols, the answer is....it depends.

First....reloading takes a certain investment in equipment.....figure spending $500 or more. If the ammo you shoot is expensive, hard to find, or you do a LOT of shooting, it may be worth it. You'll save more money if you cast your own bullets, rather than buying them.

Second....it takes time. It has to be done right, and carefully.

In my case, "Monday Night Football" was my reloading time. I'd go down cellar, turn on my little 13" TV and cast bullets all evening. The next week, I'd load them. I figure it was costing me less than 5 cents a round for .45ACP and .38 Special.

Of course, I was doing a lot of shooting then......and I enjoyed my monday nights at the reloading bench.

So, the answer still is......it depends!

Edited by: Xracer at: 11/16/01 9:26:10 am

HerbyJr
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 10:38:01 am)
    To reload or not to reload...

First off, I'm no expert. I just got into reloading in the last year or so. But, it depends on what you shoot or plan to shoot. I don't reload 9mm and probably never will because it is relatively inexpensive. I know you can save some $$$ reloading 9's but not enough for me to really worry about. I like reloading my 6.5x55 Swedes because they are expensive to buy. I reload .32 acp and I am about to get into reloading 300 win mag as well.

I also find that it makes me feel a little more independent when I load my own. Granted, I still have to buy components, but the finished cartridge is my product.

Start out small with one or two calibers and a simple press. Then you will find out if it is something you really want to spend a lot of time doing or not.

H.

Edited by: HerbyJr at: 11/16/01 10:42:05 am

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 5:56:21 pm)
    | Edit | Del reloading
    If I my add my .02. My whole family shoots on a regular basis. We go thru about 1500 to 2000 rounds per month. If I didn't reload I could not afford to shoot.
    I agree with the others about the Dillion press, about the best money can buy, but my father left me his Lee press when he died. So that what I have been using, a lot less money up front if your just starting out. You can start reloading for as little as 79.00 for a single station press, or as much as 250.00 if you want to go all out and have the whole works, press with one set of dies, scale, tumbler & seperator. I like the Lee for its ease of working, I can go from one caliber to another in about 30 seconds, a little longer if I have to change out primer feeders and such.. As for reloading big calipers, 44mag, mine, 357 mag, hers,( this it what my wife shoots), if you buy the componets in bulk, It cost me about 3.50 per bx of 50 357mag, and 4.00 for 44mag, 45\70 cost me about 5.00 per 20 now that i have settled on one kind of bullet. But you need to make up your own mind. For me, It is a great relaxation thing for me to do, because in the end, I get to go to the range and put BIG holes in small objects. jmho. loader44.

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 6:22:10 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: reloading
    Another example is: I reload 22 Hornet. A box of 50 from Wal Mart cost $25.00
    I bought the components and it breaks down like this:
    300 46 Gr FMJ Bullets $30.00
    300 new unprimed brass $30.00
    300 small rifle primes $5.37
    WW 296 Powder 9.5 Gr per round $10.00
    _______
    $75.37

300 rounds from Wal Mart would cost $150.00

This is not to include your tools.
    BlackGUN

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/16/01 6:55:40 pm)
    Once I reloaded. No more. Too dammed old, quit hunting, shoot very little now, etc.

I have a pickup truck long bed (with sideboards) of reloading stuff dating from the 50's forward that I'm gonna auction off (as a lot--too much trouble to part out) one of these days--a lifetime collection of stuff for me and another from my deceased brother.

I reloaded simply to develop the most accurate and/or consistent loads possible for my firearms. It is hard to stay consistent when you buy factory ammo.

I did it for a hobby. I always figured that I saved about 1/3 of the cost of factory ammo after I factored in the cost of my equipment. If I figured my time, however, then I was backin' up.

Bompa
    (11/16/01 7:22:32 pm)
    BG you must remember that what you figured for costs,that is the first loading..After that it gets cheaper because you have already paid for the brass,only pay once use many times..
    I never figured that I saved any money reloading but shoot
    a lot more for the same price..
    Start small,see if you like it..

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 7:41:48 pm)
    Bompa, excellent point. What's so bad, I do it for fun and relaxation. if I have one I have 50,000 loaded round right now. I would like to have at least 1000 rounds for each Cal. of gun. So, I need about 600 more pieces of brass in 22 Hornet. AntiqurDr. just sold me a new Remington 700 BDL in .17. Now I need dies and brass and buddits for that, will it ever end? The pain of it all.
    BlackGUN

Mesen
    (11/16/01 8:12:42 pm)
    BlackGun
    the redhead said you can make 17 Rem out of 223 cases
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 8:46:25 pm)
    Thanks Bree! Now someone will have to hold my hand and teach me how to neck um down and tell me what dies/tools I'll need. I don't even own a .223 any longer but do have a bag full of brass in .223. left over from my Colt CAR/15
    BlackGUN