Reloading stuff selling

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Gunstein, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Gunstein

Gunstein New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    SE Georgia
    Father died, selling his reloading dies, brass, bullets and primers. None of it is put together to use as ammo. I was never into guns, could use some advice. Any and all would be appreciated. I know I can sell the dies on ebay. Is there a site I can sell the rest of the stuff like ebay where paypal is used and I send it to the buyer and not a Gun shop. Also wondering what I should be asking for the stuff I am selling.
    For instance I have 7,200 bullets of .22 caliber used for his 22 Hornet rifle and 3,100 of .308 bullets for his 308 rifle, all still in their boxes never opened. Is 80% of the value that I could buy it at Cabelas online be too much?

2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Harriman, Tn
    Are you looking for a value? Or are you trying to sell it to a member? You can't post items for sale in this section and you need 15 posts to put it in the buy, sell and trade section.

I'm sorry, I misread your post. You can try it at 80%. You can always go down but you can never go up. And none of the items you mention need to go through a gun store. Only firearms do.

3. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Wonderful Wyoming
    I figure you should ask 50% of new or less if you really want to get rid of it. It also depends on who the manufacturers are.

dbcooper and joe45c like this.
  4. Gunstein

Gunstein New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    SE Georgia
    Most of it is Hornady V-max, but some Nosler and Sierra

woolleyworm and dbcooper like this.
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    peru,ny
    Over 10,000 bullets on hand, sounds like your dad was my kind of guy. i don't think you will have any problem getting rid of those bullets, Nosler, hornady and sierra are some of the best. Brass won't be a problem, but if you have primers and powder you won't be able to ship it. Reloading equipment can be sold on sites like ebay. good luck.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    Gunbroker is another place that you can sell them on. There are a lot of "gun people" who will not like to use PayPal, but you can have them send money orders or cashier's checks. There is also are a couple of FaceBook sites that is dedicated to the sale of bullets. One of them is called The Bullet Bank and I can't remember the other one.

woolleyworm, dbcooper and joe45c like this.
  7. Gunstein

Gunstein New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    SE Georgia
    Where is the easiest place to sell that accepts paypal like EBay. Ebay does not allow Bullets or Brass to be sold on their site.

8. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    You can set up an account on Gunbroker.com to sell your bullets and brass, and list PayPal as a source of payment.

Primers are considered hazardous and cannot be shipped thru the mail, they must go thru ground services.

joe45c and One Shot like this.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Simla, Colorado
    On the 80% question - that depends on where and how fast you wish to sell it. Then you need to figure in how much shipping/postage costs would be (bullets are heavy). If it were me, I'd take it to a smaller gun shop and either sell the lot to them for 50% of the price tag figures or sell it on consignment for the 80%.

joe45c likes this.
  10. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    How is everything packaged? Are the bullets still in the original boxes? They will be hard to sell if they are not because the buyers will have to verify weight and diameter.

Depending on where you are at, you could also take everything to a local Gun Show and see if they are any reloading tables there. They may give you an offer.

howlnmad and joe45c like this.
  11. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

what press did he have.. you could post here ( you only need 12 more posts) so you can list here.. if price is right it will go quick.. bullet, brass, dies and presses don't seem to last very long here..

howlnmad, joe45c and dbcooper like this.
  12. Gunstein

Gunstein New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    SE Georgia
    He had three presses and numerous dies. That stuff I will sell on EBAY if I can't find people close by to buy it. There are people around work that hunt, I am making contacts, but don't want to sell too cheap. My mother needs the Money, but is not in a hurry. I want to just get a fair price. The replies that say 50% of new if in hurry or 80% of new on consignment helps. I will look at what stuff is selling for online like cabelas and price stuff at about 65% of new.

howlnmad, woolleyworm and joe45c like this.
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Fort Worth
    Which area are you from? Sometimes Craigslist can be good.

howlnmad likes this.
  14. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Myself I would stick around make a few more posts and list that stuff here. It's a large gun focused community.....what more could you want?