The Firearms Forum banner

RELOADING TROUBLE SHOOT QUESTION

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  MaxACL 
#1 · (Edited)
I had 20 rounds of 30-06 brass to finish reloading, brass was deprimed, resized, cleaned, trimmed, reprimed, and recharged with 56.5 gr IMR4350 (compressed load). I only needed to seat the bullet, Nosler 165 gr Solid Base to finish. When I pressed the bullet to the finished factory specs, the shoulder appeared to be normal shape, but I noticed that the neck has a slight bulging ring around it and in some cases a double ring. I have never had this happen before. What have I done wrong, and what might be a possible resolution to correct? Can someone kindly please reply and help?

Thanks, RPRATT

#2 ·
roll crimp? did you roll crimp too much. or roll crimp into a projectile with no cannelure.. or seat and crimp into a non cannelured area?

If a no canelure projectile you either need to collet crimp it.. or with practice, and super light roll crimp just to get the brass case to just start to grip the projectile.

I was given some 150gr sierra .308 rounds with no cannelure, and I but an imperceptable hair of roll crimp onthem and shoot them single shot thru my bolt gun for paper killing.

Alternately.. is the mouth not belled any to accept the projectile and deforming upon seating?

post a pic to help show where this bulge is

#3 ·
Mr.Pratt,
I'll go along with Soundguy in thinking that you "overcrimped".

I have done that before when the Seat Die is turned in a tad too far.

2 dollars to a doughnut that they will not chamber either.

Go ahead and pull the bullet, dump the powder and re-size the case.
If you are careful you can - wait for the volley of OMG you will kill yourself- knock out the primer and save it to re-set it in the case again.

Bring up the seat die a turn or so, see what you get.

Gary

#4 ·
Mr.Pratt,
I'll go along with Soundguy in thinking that you "overcrimped".

I have done that before when the Seat Die is turned in a tad too far.

2 dollars to a doughnut that they will not chamber either.

Go ahead and pull the bullet, dump the powder and re-size the case.
If you are careful you can - wait for the volley of OMG you will kill yourself- knock out the primer and save it to re-set it in the case again.

Bring up the seat die a turn or so, see what you get.

Gary
Before you resize, remove the depriming pin from the expander ball and you won't have to worry about the primer going off.

#6 ·
While I am generally a LEE hater (cheap tools of dubious quality based on my experience with them), the one LEE tool the I insist on using is the RIFLE Factory Crimp Die (Note that the pistol version is not the same design and a waste of money).

It crimps in about four spots around the case throat with a horizontal force rather than a vertical force that can collapse the case at the shoulder if over done. All cases do not have to be trimmed to the same length for a good crimp but all cases should be trimmed to within the listed specs.

LDBennett

#8 ·
SoundGuy and Gary 0529

Thanks for the come back and your observations.

I did not intend to crimp at all but the effect is apparently the same.
I must have had the seating die turned in too far and too close to the shell holder, frustrating when you are so near being finished.

I will follow all the advise offered, pull, dump, and resize after removing the depriming pin. Thanks a bunch for your help.

RLP

#10 ·
I did finaly get back to it and I did pull the bullet, dump the powder, pulled the depriming pin from the resizing die, lubed and resized the cases. The case neck straightened out and once again looked normal. I recharged the cases and reset the bullets after properly setting the reloading die for the proper spacing from the case holder. I was able to complete the batch of 3006 rounds and all resulted well.
Thanks again for all your guidance

#11 ·
It's too late now, but I'd sure liked to have seen a picture of that.

I've done the "too much crimp" thing, on bottleneck cartridges, and it bulges the shoulder. He said it bulged the neck. Only time I've ever seen a neck damaged was when it had not been expanded enough for the bullet to enter.

#12 ·
twice, early on, I bulged necks when reloading. 1st was 30-30, roll crimping, bullet had a cannelure and I mashed the bajeezus out of it till the point of deformation right under the canelure. made tough chambering rounds. some would not chamber at all. pull and resize corrected.

2nd time it happened I had accidentally ordered some sierra 150gr spire point flat base .308 projectiles for 30-06. got them with no cannelure.

doing some bench shooting I wasn't happy with just neck tension on some of the loads. so I applied a SCOOTCH of roll crimp, actually just bumped the neck of the brass to the shoulder in the die so it gave more neck tension. that worked great. 2nd batch I accidentally added 2 SCOOTCH's and bulged the necks as there was no cannelure for the brass to go.

those were darn hard to pull and resize.

only did that them 2 times way back.. but when he mentioned neck bulge.. reminded me of what I did...

#13 ·
I had the same problem last night with my 30-06 and 30-30. Until now (thanks Mr. LDBennett) I didn't know that a Lee FCD was OK on the 30-06... much less the 30-30.

Now another problem, I can't get the bullet to stay in place while I go to seat the bullet. The neck is too small to start the flat base bullet in a level position. I re-chamfered slightly and the first one seemed to balance the bullet better, but now I find out that the seating rod in my new Hornady seating die is too short. I can't reach the required COAL. Hornady's Customer Service was on the ball and has sent me a new longer rod so I wait. The two bullets I have a problem seating in the 30-30 is the Hornady's 160 gr FTX and Speer 110 gr FHP.

#15 ·
That's what I was about to recommend. An M die. I bought one for 30/30 when I started loading cast bullets, and fell in love. And the best part is, it is not "30/30" (although that's what it said in the Midway cataloge, waaaaaay back when I bought it). It is 30 caliber. Works with 30/30, 308, aught six, 30/40.

The lower piece is like - .306 or thereabouts - and gives a GOOD, TIGHT neck tension. And you can just use it, if loading jacketed boat tails. #A

But that little shoulder there, #B, bumps the mouth to like .312 or so. Real easy to get that .308 bullet started.

And you can run it down farther, making the mouth expansion go as deep as you want. #C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.