reloading vs. buying

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dorsalmd, Nov 11, 2011.

1. dorsalmd

dorsalmd New Member

Giving some thought to reloading. Have .30-06, .223 Rem. & .22 Hornet. What is the basic equipment I need and the approximate cost of the set up?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This is a loaded question that will only get you everyones opinion.. Reloading equipment is comparable to automobiles, they all get you from A to B and back but not all of them are the same.. My advice is as follows..

Get at least 2 reloading manuals before you buy anything.. I recommend the Lyman 49th and the Hornady 8th.. Read the first 120 pages of each manual. Those first few chapters will explain the process, why certain things are done and what happens if they arent done properly.. all with illustrations to visually aide the explanations. Then you will be able to decide what type of equipment is right for your needs, and you will then be able to make an informed decision on what you need to buy to get started.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Hi dorsalmd and welcome to TFF. I know absolutely nothing about reloading myself, but there are many reloaders at TFF. However you might get more responses quicker if you repost your question on the ammo and reloading forum. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That said.. I personally prefer a solid single stage press. They are more compact than turrets and progressives and can load any cartridge with a simple set of dies for that cartridge. They are simple and effective. Reloading does take longer with a single stage but I believe you can produce better ammo on a single stage with less chance of critical error.

Someday i may get me a good turret, If I do it will be a redding T-7. Other than that I am quite content with my RCBS single stage and my LEE die sets.
  5. Sandman

Sandman Member

I started a couple of years ago with the Lee anniversary kit. I have been very happy with it so far (with the exception of the powder measure). The kit gives you everything you need to get started (except dies) at a reasonable price. Once you get into it, you will start to buy other accessories, but you just need the basics to start.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1 This is the way all beginers should start! And it don't hurt none for us long time reloaders to re-read the manuals.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Excellent point Myles. I read mine from time to time and while I have been reloading for nearly a decade now, I still run across info that I missed the first few times thru. They truly are priceless source of info and instruction to any reloader, not just beginners.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've been at it 40+ years, and I'm still learning!
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Sandman is right on, LEE has a couple of special kits at great prices. Midway USA has these kits on sell regularly to save you initial cost. LEE will work just fine for your particular needs at reasonable startup. Also dies and accessories are very reasonable as well. My rifle loads on the LEE Challenger are near perfect. All that said I also agree with JLA regarding reading manuals as they will help you in selection. Welcome aboard!!
  10. RandyP

RandyP Member

You have come to a good place to use the search function and get hours of reading on the subject.
  11. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Another manual to read is the "LEE Reloading Handbook". tons of good info in there.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And the ABCs of reloading. Nosler isnt a bad one either, but geared more toward LR hunting and Bench shooting
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

The thing with me about reloading is that I now have all the supplies, equipment, and still learning the processes to give me ammo that shoots better the whole way around. I also shoot alot more than I use to and have built a new T bench on the back porch and have improved my home shooting range. I feel much more secure knowing my grandkids will be firing off powder & bullets I purchased long before it was taxed out of existence or possible outlawed, (even though I know that scenario is never going to occur). I feel better just the same, ha ha.

Now the bad part, I've spent around 7 gran between reloading supplies & equipment; but ya know I do believe my kids will be glad I did down the road. Also, I have all the powder, primers, and bullets & the tools and equipment to reload that I will ever need for the rest of my life and in reality for my grandkids lives too. Guess I'm a true hoarder.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Indeed Zhurh.. Youre an inspiration to us all.
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I hafta agree with Josh and Myles in their first couple of posts :eek:.
    I still see the beginning of a rainbow/single stage/turret/progressive war starting here :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.