reloading woes

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glockjock, Nov 24, 2009.

1. glockjock

glockjock New Member

why is my seater die letting a 130 gr. hornady sst bullet go thru the seater plug far enough to leave a ring about 3/16" down from the top?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

pics please and could you provide some caliper readings? Welcome to TFF and Semper Fi,

Woolley
  3. res45

res45 Member

Don't worry it's a pretty common occurrence,unless it's cutting into the copper jacket bad it want affect accuracy just doesn't look so hot. The inside edges of the seater plug is probably just sharp and probably not designed to fit that bullet exactly right,ther usually pretty generic unless you have a custom seater plug made and if your neck tension is tight it just make it worse.

what you can try is chuck a bullet up in a cordless drill coat the bullet with lapping compound,take the seater plug out of the die insert bullet and see if you can smooth out the edges just enough to not cut into the bullet. CHECK IT FREQUENTLY.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. glockjock

glockjock New Member

Thank you res45....that is exactly what Hornady said today when I called. He said to sand down the inside of the hole a little so it would not be so sharp. You have been very helpful....now I can proceed with my 270's.