Reloading.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by proeliator, Oct 5, 2009.

1. proeliator

proeliator New Member

I am brand new to you guys joined to learn more about reloading in the past year this has been more and more attractive.
    I am looking for a brand / model that will last longer then I will be good for my primary a remington 700 r5 mill spec and good for a 9mm pistol.

I want one that is much more machine then I need at the moment but will be good for me as I grow into more and more reloading. Not wanting the normal starting kit am thinking of something as fool proof as possible.
    I know there are alot of posts on this subject but am starting a new post to see if any of the newer gear is worth looking at.
    Thanks guys.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Your scenario is exactly my two primary loads .308 tactical rifle and 9mm for a glock and XD. My thoughts are that with pistol shooting a progressive press would suit the large quanities of pistol ammo with less effort, but for a precision round for your tactical rifle you would want to load these cartriges on a single stage for the "perfection" aspect. My answer is to go the inbetween route and use the semi-progressive turret press. I have loaded sub-moa rounds for my Remington 700 on the other hand -crank out 200 rounds per hour of 9mm without having to move more than 1 die or even a turret head. Also the Lyman turret is built tough as nails and kept my initial cost to the lower end ($600-700) by the time my first round was fired. shop around I still have not found a better quality vs price than this deal here at Bass Pro Shop.................http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10200317____SearchResults
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Those R5s are real nail drivers, I have heard of people getting 1/2" or better with factory match ammo. 312 posts great advice, I might also recommend an RCBS Rockchucker kit. Itll set you back around 275 bucks but it comes with everything you will need except a good set of dies and components. It is a steel single stage press. Like 312 said, Single stage is best for precision cartridges and you can do pistol with a single stage but it does take alot more time. I am still a single stage press user;)
  4. olehippy

olehippy New Member

For a foolproof system for a beginner, start out with a single stage, ‘starter’ setup or kit. If you want a foolproof system that does everything for someone that doesnt know what they are doing plan on spending a lot more money than you can imagine.

Reloading, handloading requires some skill level from one that does it. If you expect to jump into something that requires on knowledge or skill, be sure your health insurance is up to date before you begin.

Miles
  5. proeliator

proeliator New Member

Thanks guys for the replys so far. First question is that there are no progressive machines that do aswell as a single stage on the rifle ammo?
    Also a local is selling a rcbs pro 2000 progressive reloading press for 350...
    bad idea?
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The Dillon 550 can be used as a single stage press since it is manually advanced. I only load straight wall (pistol) ammo on my Dillon but I do know that you can buy rifle dies for it. I seem to remember LDBennett mentioning something about loading rifle ammo on his.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

look on youtube for reloading videos. There are alot of people going progressive and that way you can see first hand how one works. Its not hard, reloading. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing and be willing to triple check your work and follow instructions perfectly...
  8. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Hang out at your local range, and talk with the reloaders.

Folk been coming up to me more and more, every weekend it seems
  9. proeliator

proeliator New Member

Im pretty far out in the sticks , dont think there is a range with in 30 miles of here. but I have some friends that used to reload. I agree with the advice about best to learn on a single before you move on to advanced I was just hoping to avoide needing to buy a starter press then soon wanting to move up to a more advanced unit, was hoping to find one that is able to do both even if it did have a steeper learning curve. And I have been studying all the videos on utube great place to learn.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The one press that meets this criteria would be the Dillon 550B, I don't think you could go wrong with it. Cost is a little more, but not much for the quality and service that you get.
  11. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago. Like Proeliator I did not want to buy a single stage press and then wish I had went with a progressive. I chose the Hornady LNL Progressive. So far I am happy with my choice. I started out with a couple good manuals and then searched the internet, not to mention that this forum has been very helpful, thanks to all of you. As far as a progressive being to complicated I wouldn't let that scare you away from one. Just take it slow and double check everything. My opinion is, it really matters how much you plan to load. So far I have loaded about 1500 rounds of 223 Rem. in three sessions of about 500 rounds each. I might add that this was after I worked up about 6 different loads of 10 rounds each beginning with minimum charges and working up. Next I am going to tackle 9mm and 40 s&w, (I have 500 rounds in my tumbler as I write this). I just think for myself that a progressive is the only way to go. Thanks again for everybody's help.
  12. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

A RCBS Rockchucker kit will equip you w/ everything you'll need to start out to reload with, & after learning the basics of what to do & not to do, a Dillion 550B for bulk loading sessions is what I'd recommend (like everyone else here already has! :rolleyes:).

Most folks have @ least 2 presses anyway (if not more) & if you take the time to check out the "Show us your reloading bench" thread, that when you look closely, 9 times out of 10 - you'll see a green machine (RCBS Rockchucker) & a blue boy (Dilion 550B)!

Even if you up-grade to a progressive from a single-stage, you can always trade it or sell it for something you'll need or want down the road.

I started out w/ the Rockchucker kit [11yrs ago] & found that I like the preciseness of doing it slooooowwwly. I found I enjoy "rolling my own" as much, if not more, than shooting!! Most would rather be out blasting away.... I'd rather be in the shop building the "perfect" round! ;)

@ proeliator & springerbuster- Welcome to the forum guys!!

SR :)
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  13. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

A good single stage press is never unneeded, even after you also get a progressive. They come in very handy for load development, etc. when you are constantly changing things. Progressives generally do better when cranking out large volumes of the same exact bullet, COL, powder/charge, etc.

Single stage presses all do basically the same thing, with some brands and models providing lower costs, and others providing more convenience and accuracy enabling features.

The legendary o-frame single stage presses from RCBS, Lyman and Hornady all work well, but none of them have been updated with through-the-ram spent primer handling. Unless you don't care about the more than occasional spent primer bouncing down onto the bench and floor, I would strongly suggest a press that is designed to direct them down through the ram, into a tube, to a bucket or catch bottle. Among these are the Lee Classic Cast (iron) press, the Redding Big Boss II and Ultramag presses, and the Forster Co-Ax press. The LCC, BBII and UltraMag presses also accept the Hornady LNL press conversion for use with their quick change die bushings. The Co-Ax has its own floating quick change die retention system. The Lee CC is undoubtedly the best bang for the buck, but the Co-Ax is peerless in terms of accuracy, convenience and quality of design and manufacture.

Among the progressive presses, the Hornady LNL AP is slightly better suited for rifle cartridge reloading than the others (perhaps excepting the Dillon 1050). It has independently interchangeable dies for different operations that commonly occur in rifle cartridge reloading. The LNL AP powder measure is also better suited for extruded rifle powders than the Dillon PM. While there are many ball powders available for rifle cartridges that will meter well in a Dillon PM, they generally do not have the same temperature independence that longer extruded powders have. Unlike the Dillon progressives, the PM on the LNL AP will work in any station, allowing additional steps prior to dumping powder (like separate neck sizing and shoulder bumping steps), often desired when reloading rifle cartridges for accuracy.

Hope this helps,

Andy
  14. proeliator

proeliator New Member

Be nice to find a reloading pro in the greater seattle area to learn more of this from first hand I just missed a dillon 550 for $250 on craigslist:(
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That was a great price for just the press, and it probably had other things with it!!!