reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Oct 23, 2009.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I am reading my books before i buy my kit. I saw something that surprized me.

1st question: The book said something about if you shoot some ammo through your gun then reload it you can only shoot it through the same gun. My thoughts where because of the expansion of the cartridge maybe being different in other guns but if you resize it why would that matter. Any advice

2nd question: Does that (above) rule still ring true in a 45-70 case since it doesnt have a neck and looks more like a big pistol round?

Thanks again for all your help!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You read correctly, just a little misunderstanding. If you NECK size only, then that round is just for the rifle that it was fire formed in. If you full length resize, you're "going back to factory spec" and the subsequent reload can be fired in any appropriate chamber at that point.

45-70, you'll be full length resizing so it can be fired in any 45-70 chamber.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  3. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

+1 woolley worm, dead on the money. Make sure your using a good lubricant when you full length size, otherwise you will be having issues. Neck sizing does not need lubricant with the Lee collet die.
  4. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Also from what I have been reading they are saying that if you are shooting out of a semi-auto that you should be using a full length resizing die. The bolt action is ok in using the neck sizing die if it is the same rifle.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

That is correct. I think you'll find 100% majority here that full length resize for their AR's.
  6. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I full length resize my brass for my AR-10 and AR-15.