reloads ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 7:50:04 pm)
    | Edit | Del All reloads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had three misfires today while firing my 45 reloads.
    Could a loose crimp have caused this? I really don't believe I under powdered them.
    Any ideas?

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 8:02:54 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: reloads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dawg, are you saying the primer did not for fire or the powder did not fire...or both?

How new are the primers and were they seated properly. Some times old primers or ones that have been corrupted by penetrating oils like WD40 will disable a primer. Some times primers get seated improperly as their sides get crushed on ramming them into the primer pocket.

What kind of fire arm and caliber...45 acp?

Try fresh batch of primers and make sure they are seated to proper depth in cartridge case.

If you get duds just save 'em and pull the bullets and punch out the old primers or try reseating them if they look like they are sticking up out of the brass too far.

Don't let this throw you, I still get duds for one reason or another...and just have to follow my own steps.

GG

Edited by: AGunguy at: 10/18/01 10:38:00 pm

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 10:33:33 pm)
    GG
    if the primer would have detonated that would have been enough to move the bullet far enough to jam weapon

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 10:52:05 pm)
    That's happen to me more times than I care to remember, but I did not see where he said he had a bullet in the barrel and that's what I wanted to find out. Did the primer ignite and not the powder charge?

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 11:39:48 pm)
    The primers did ignite and I had 3 pistols end up with bullets in the barrels. Crappy day!
    RANGE ME

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 1:25:29 am)
    sounds like no powder, then.
    I miss one or two a year on my Dillon rig, what process / machine are you using (and if you say 'one at a time in a single stage press', I'm gonna rib you about not noticing there wasn't any powder )

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 9:10:54 am)
    Think I'll check with Dillon, they may have an empty case sensor when powder not inserted. I seem to have too many of these myself.

If loading on a single stage press always eyeball the brass to make sure there's powder inside.

An most important...if you get a missfire (sounds like pffft) then don't fire again, empty gun and look down the barrel for daylight. If darken bore you will have to use a wooden dowl to tap it back the way it came until it falls out of the barrel.

Safe loading pardnar.

GG

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 9:24:59 am)
    I plead the Fifth!!
    RANGE ME

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/19/01 11:08:53 am)
    Send the pistol to me, "LIKTOSHOOT" and the reloading equipment.....all of it. You have no business reloading or shooting a handgun. Thank you.... LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 11:20:53 am)
    LTS, I think you're right, Dawg is taking the 5th and anyone drinks and reloads has no right to own firearms or reloading equipment.

Uh, Dawg please send me your dies, and what have you got in buddits, that ought to keep you out of trouble.

GG

Edited by: AGunguy at: 10/19/01 12:31:51 pm

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 11:24:09 am)
    Be sure and send it to Liketoshoot via BlackGun for inspection first! I'm kind a runnin short over this away. And don't forget the primmers!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/19/01 1:58:03 pm

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 12:37:08 pm)
    | Edit | Del yup, hand it all over
    yup, hand it all over zombiedawg -
    NO distractions while reloading!
    No TV, no chatty neighbors, no kids, no pots on the stove, no sports on the radio, NO alcohol and NO SMOKING!

Rich

kdubaz
    (10/19/01 1:55:21 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: yup, hand it all over
    DANG, raya -

You take ALL the fun out of reloading!! Shoot, anybody can load up perfect rounds - it takes a real master to add a little intrigue and adventure to the process!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

loader44
    (10/19/01 4:57:06 pm)
    | Edit | Del reloads
    what do yo mean " NO SMOKING or DRINKING ", takes all the fun out of reloading, you know what your doing then.

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 5:49:34 pm)
    Actually I pulled a couple of bullets and the charge may have been less than needed. I might have used the wrong rotor. Not sure yet.
    Give me one more chance before you confiscate my gear.
    RANGE ME

MysteryMansShadow
    (10/19/01 7:27:12 pm)
    by a diffeereent gun, that oneees no goodd
    somethings are never known.........UR1

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 7:34:04 pm)
    OK, we'll give ya another chance but you've gotta send each of us a fifth...that's your punishment.

GG

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 8:14:39 pm)

Quote:
    add a little intrigue and adventure

In the last seven years, I've ridden out the Northridge quake at Ground Zero, busted my left knee and had it repaired with huge-ass screws, been the subject of a felony-stop by the CA Hwy Patrol (it was a misunderstanding!), out-run a forest fire, and had my left hand crushed under a car - I don't NEED no stinkin' adventure!

zombiedawg - I'm pretty sure that if you had any powder at all in the rounds, it would have been enough to expel the bullet from the barrel - a standard primer, alone, has been enough to propel a 230gr FMJ slug half-way down my Colt 1911's barrel.
    All in all, FAR better to put NO powder, than a DOUBLE charge.
    You might also want to consider using a slower-burning powder - they are usually bulkier, so that if you do double-charge a round, you'll be sure to overflow the casing - makes it real noticeable.

Rich