Reloads for 348 Caliber Winchester, Model 71

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by trapnbow, Jan 6, 2012.

1. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Gentlemen,
    I have dug out my Winchester 71 and decided to reload all the spent brass. Does anyone have a favorite, accurate load for the 348 using the Hornady 200 gr JFP bullet? This is a lever action hunting rifle. I am not looking for supreme accuracy.
    I have traditionally used 47 grains of 3031 and never focused on accuracy. I have more time now and was thinking that I might incrementally increase the load to 49 or 50 grains of 3031 and do some 100 yard accuracy tests. I also notice that the Hornady book now shows loads with Varget. Does anyone have any experience with Varget in this cartridge?
    I appreciate any responses on the questions. Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Hodgdon load center (http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp) shows 15 different loads for the 200 grain bullet. Your load is the starting load for your powder/bullet combo.

I use 57.0 grains of W760 behind a 200 Grain Hornady Flat Point. That is near a starting load as well and my notes say the five shot groups are less than 2 inches at 100 yards using peep sights. I tested loads from 55 to 59 grains of W760 and this load was the best accuracy wise. (The notes are 20 years old... boy time flies by fast!)

The gun is the standard model made in 1958, the last year of production with only 220 made after it.

LDBennett