Reloads for SD, Again!

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by carver, Nov 25, 2009.

1. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that Delta. Good info.

I don't understand the fascination with the subject, nor wanting to actually load your own defensive carry. It's absurd, when there are so many viable commercial products to choose from.

Buy 50 rounds of a commercially loaded SD ammo, run it through your weapon of choice to make sure it feeds properly, then stock up on it. It's not rocket science. It's not expensive....yet.

If you must obsess about hand loading, do so where it concerns hunting and competition shooting.
  2. graehaven

Ball ammo frequently shoots THROUGH people, whereas, hollow point ammo tends to NOT do that.

Commercially available hollow point ammo is also what the police use. I think Ayoob has already covered this stuff in some of his articles.
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

IMO,

The defense of that situation is easy. It says right on the box.."Personal Protection" or "Home Defense".

Sir, the reason I don't carry FMJ rounds in my personal defense gun is that they are inherintly more dangerous. It is a known fact (lots of documentation to prove it) the a FMJ round will penetrate through a human being and has the potential to harm another innocent bystander beyond the attacker.

If the JHP went through the attacker, and lodged in the wall, then the FMJ would have likely gone THROUGH the wall and carried into my neighbors house, or into an approaching bystander.

"Isn't FMJ proven to be just as effective" NO, Lots of documentation to dispell that.

The reason I have the JHP's is not to inflict pain and suffering on anyone, but rather to stop an attacker who is endangering my life as quickly as possible. I would never shoot at anyone unless they were a direct threat to my life or the life of someone in my immediate presence. The self defense ammo is known to stop an aggressive attacker much more quickly, Often with only one shot. Police reports show that many a man has been shot with several rounds of FMJ and continued to attack, eventually dieing. The hollow points cause less suffering. Generally, an attacker will stop with one or maybe two shots, rather than me having to shoot him multiple times and still have my life in danger from a crazed madman who is attacking me.

The military uses FMJ because NATO demands it. Local Police officers carry JHP's because they are more effective and safer to surrounding citizens as they have a far less chance of overpenatrating and causing damage to others.

As far as 'why didn't you reload your own ammo to save money'....Sir, I can save money in a lot of ways, but when it comes to protecting my family or my own life, I trust the ammo manufacturers to get things right. I reload target ammunition because I shoot a lot of it, and my life doesn't depend on it. These rounds in question are for one purpose. To defend my life in a critical situation. I prefer to not take any chances. I could use a rope in my car to tie myself in, but I trust the manufactered seat belt more than I do my own rope knots.
  4. graehaven

Well said.
  5. cakes

cakes New Member

The major problems with reloads is the ability to compare data for testing? That seems easy enough to overcome. Make sure you have plenty of the loads available so the tests can be performed.

When the 'deadliness' issue came up it was easily defeated.

I don't see any valid reasons here to refrain from using reloads for self defense.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

The question is not just how good a case is or if you can win.

The question is do you want the $10,000 dollar attorney retainer fee necessary in a shooting defense trial to be even more expensive because you tried to save a few dollars on factory SD ammo?
  7. cakes

cakes New Member

Your choice of ammo will be a very minor part of the case. The questions asked in a shooting investigation/trial will be about your justification of the use of deadly force. If your choice of ammo becomes an issue your lawyer will bill you the same whether he/she is defending your use of hand loads or defending your use of factory Speer Gold Dots.
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

If your lawyer has to find an expert witness about your ammo...that time will equal money. Every phone call and every hour it requires will be part of the bill.

When the expert witness comes to trail...you'll be paying his travel and fee to speak.