Reloads for self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by johnlives4christ, Nov 4, 2009.

?

Do you use reloads for self defence?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2009.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. NO

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  1. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

I agree with 308 on this, it's not so much about truth as it is about perception.......

And preception is everything!!

If some lawyer can get up before a jury and make it look as if you made ammo to be more destructive then "regular" factory ammo.... THEY WILL!!

The factory guys have all the test data and all the research to back up their loads and how they load. What do you have?? A reloading manual?? Good luck! Can you or I afford to have a lab develop test data?? And what of quality control?? How do you verify that?? WAY to many angles to worry about dude!!

How much is a box of quality factory these days??? $50.00, $100.00???

Cheap at twice the price compared to lawyers fees and court time trying to prove something you wouldn't need to prove just by using factory ammo!!

Practice with reloads, arm with factory!!

Not to mention the reliability factor!!

Just the way I see it! :D
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

I hunt with hand loads, and if the need to protect myself with my hunting rifle arose, I would not hesitate.

When choosing carry ammo for a defensive pistol, I would use whichever ammo works the best. I have a .44 that I carry that has never seen factory ammo.

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

My two cents...

I will shoot reloads all day for plinking, but for my night stand, only factory loads will lay in my magazine.

I seriously doubt that I can control or create a better load than speer/federal/hornady/corbon/etc. can with thier equipment.

As for the courts....we have all seen and read the cases of STUPID lawsuits. Win you might, but at what cost? Thousands and thousands of dollars and hours and hours of your personal time tied up? No thanks. A $25 box of JHP's can save a lot of grief and hassle. Why give em' something else to screw with you about. This is the same reason that it is unwise to convert any self defense weapon to a 2 1/2 lb hair trigger...you're just asking for it in a courtroom. Sad but true.

Most JHP's you buy these days are now labeled "Personal Protection" or "Home Defense" or even the tauted "Safety Slug"

It's a lot harder for a dead/wounded guy's slimeball attorney to prosecute you for using over the counter factory produced ammo that says right on the box "defense" "protection" or "safety". Pretty much says "I bought these to protect myself and family" I'm pretty sure ammo manufacturer's are doing this on purpose...trying to keep the slimbags off of their porch as well.

Just look what happened to the "black talons"....that should be a good lesson in how the anti gun idiots can run a perfectly decent product into the river.

I don't agree with how it works, but it's pretty tough to swim upstream in the court system, and I personally don't have the resources to hire a team of rowers.
  4. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

You got it Rock.......

Just another angle that you won't have to worry about if you use factory.......
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Agree with ya all the way except for you statement on better loads. I'm pretty sure that we could all make a better sd loads for our own guns, but not signicantly better to make it worth the effort and liability risk.
    That row team is only getting more expensive by the day, so Factory SD ammo is it for me.
    I don't see a polish and refined trigger as a huge issue, but that may be another can of worms opened up. :eek: I agree that a very light trigger could be another point for a lawyer to gripe on.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I use home loaded 200 grain 45 cal Hornady XTP-HP in my 3.5" Citadel Compact and the same type bullet using 230 grain in my Colt Commander and Sig GSR. I am unconcerned with using home manufactured ammo for self defense.

It is not a cost issue for me although I get more range time with my carry rounds than I would with factory. I really do not expect to have to draw my weapon in a self defensive situation ( I would more likely be attacked by a shark at the beach even though I only go to the beach about once every15 years or so). If I would have to shoot some one to protect myself I am not going to worry about lawyers. If I were to worry about lawyers I would not carry in the first place.

I keep very good records of what I load and it would be easy for me to disprove the "he loads special killer ammo" argument. There is nothing special about it. It is not loaded to the max capacities of the cartridges. They are mid level velocity loads that happen to shoot well for me. I load what I shoot and shoot what I load.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sorry i aint been watching, been moving. still aint got my computer to work on the router yet, anyways

the courts look at the facts, and also intent. and if my intent was to defend myself then i dont see why it would matter if i used reloads.

i dont look forward to killing another human being. but i am prepared to do so. i just dont see how anyone could say that using self loaded ammunition is any differant than using factory loaded ammunition. as i said before, i keep my gun loaded with gold dots, and my spare loaded with FMJ so i can shoot through a wall or whatever. well that shows intent right there. you could say it shows intent to murder or go beyond reasonable self defense but i say it shows intent to be prepared for any situation i might encounter. if i load with hollowpoints instead of FMJ a lawyer could say this is because i was wanting to inflict pain and suffering and that i was looking to use my fancy bullets. in reality, reloads wont make any differance if they are going to play the "ammo card" because my ammo is not hunting ammo, it isnt plinking ammo. it is made for one purpose. to kill other people.

some people carry a gun hoping it will act as a deturant. i carry a gun in case i have to shoot others to defend myself and those around me. i carry hollow points because should i hit the person i am shooting at, i want it to blow the back of his head off.

if i could get through a situation without firing a shot that would be nice. and there is a high probability that it might be able to. but there is always that chance that i will have to fire on another person. and should i have to, i want the most deadly ammunition, the most reliable and the most effective ammunition i can get.

this is one reason im considering getting into reloading. saving money isnt so much the thing as it is being able to produce some high quality ammunition that will be more accurate , and hopefully more effective than what is available. and at around a dollar a shot for the good stuff, saving money is a good side affect.
  8. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

" i just dont see how anyone could say that using self loaded ammunition is any differant than using factory loaded ammunition. "

Fundamentally I agree, however, you keep trying to put logic into the argument....remember who we are talking about here....slimeball attorney's and liberal court judges.

Hear about the guy who broke into a home. Fell through the skylight onto a kitchen counter. Cut himself on a kitchen knife that was laying on the counter. He sued the homeowner AND WON!! There is no logic with these scumbags, only greed. The fact that the case even existed tells a lot about todays screwed up sense of right and wrong.

Early in the post it was noted that in all three cases, the shooter was aquitted, but if not for the home loads, he would not have even had to defend himself on that issue. Remember, he had to pay for that costly and lengthy defense.
    Being a pennyless winner is not my idea of winning. The idea here is to not give them something to grab on to.

Don't take my reply as any kind of attack, it's just that things don't work the way they should, and we have to be aware of the reality of todays courts.
  9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Somehow I think if ever asked about using whatever kind of "extra deadly" ammo, I'd just have to be honest and point out that by shooting someone I was NOT trying to be nice to them. In fact, shooting someone firmly expresses that the shooter was placing the other person in a position that they might come to dire harm or even risk death.

Modern courts can suck! I hope never to have to endure one, from any vantage point.
  10. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Investigating LEO: "Is this the weapon you fired Sir?"

Me: "Yes sir."

LEO: "Are these factory rounds that you fired?"

Me: "No sir.... those are my reloads. I haven't been able to afford store bought ammunition since obozo took office."

LEO: "Yeah.... I know just what you mean. So anyway, I'll bet these bad boys are loaded pretty hot huh?"

Me: "No sir.... I load them a little lighter than factory cuz I can't take the recoil & wanted to minimize the amount of hearing loss from discharging a firearm inside an enclosed space w/o hearing protection."

"It sucks that I'm having to defend my family & my home from scumbags like that!" [I point to the butcher knife laying beside the decest BG.]

LEO: "Well, it's a good thing you had a firearm & were skilled enough to use it in a safe and effective manner under such stress."

Me: "Yes.... yes it is!"

LEO: "Have a good night."

Me: "You too officer, & be safe out there."

SR :)