1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Reloding Nickle Covered Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Black Cat, Jul 7, 2012.

1. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine bought a 25-06 years ago and did not have any brass to start out with so I took 200 rounds of 30-06 brass and necked it down for him. We used some red fingernail polish on it to identify what it was. I called Highboy to get some extra nail polish but he said he had just used the last of it on his toes just before the big Idaho Tater Dance.:D:D:D
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

:tapfoot::D
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Red, black, blue, and green on the loading bench here. I use em to mark the cases when I'm testing different loads. The pesky stuff keeps scrubbing off when I tumble the brass though. :D
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You could always spend hours putting discreet file marks on the caseheads. But that would take forever.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"The pesky stuff keeps scrubbing off when I tumble the brass though."

Yeah, I have that problem.

I bought a case of Federal 45 ball. FC96. Crimped primers. That's normally not a problem. Yellow brass comes with yellow primers, I punch out the dead one, remove the crimp and reprime with white primers. Easy to tell, at a glance, that it's had the crimp removed because it has been reprimed.

But these dang Federal cases are yellow brass, but they came with nickel primers. So when I pick up an empty to process it, I don't know whether it is once-fired, and needs the crimp removed, or whether it is multi-times fired and had the crimp removed long ago.

So I started taking a black sharpie and drawing a line cross the back of all this brass I de-crimped. But when it goes through the tumbler the line goes away, and I'm back to "does this one have a crimp or not".

To quote Charlie Brown. Aaarrrgh.
  6. Wildone72

Wildone72 New Member

Glad I read this post. I had the same question the other day with a friend. He has been picking up range brass for me and a bunch was NP. Now I feel better.
  7. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I was given a bunch of NP 7.62 cases that went through a mini gun. (Aircraft ammo)
    Never had a problem with it, been useing it as hunting ammo in my Scout rifle for years now.
  8. judgecrater

judgecrater New Member

I have reloaded thousands of rounds using nickel without difficulty. I have reloaded the same cases over and over; no problem. 45ACP, 38special, 357mag.
  9. Black Cat

Black Cat New Member

Is this a active forum? I find a post I made back in July listed as today. Is someone using my name. What date was the last post of any kind?
  10. rmorgan9718

rmorgan9718 New Member

NP brass in five rifles and 5 handguns, have reloade some 38SPCL s more than 10 times with no problems. 280 Remington some have 7 or 8 reloads, no signs of failure or cracking.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Any forum can be brought back from the past by anyone posting in it. The last date shown for you posting in this thread was 7-9-12. Besides your post today.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes its an active forum. Every time a user posts the thread gets bumped to the top. nobodys using your name cept you.