Rem. 522 Viper

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by too_pointer, Feb 19, 2006.

1. too_pointer

too_pointer New Member

Hello. I own one and am debating about keeping it or trading it for another .22. I have owned it since new and never remember any jamming, shot fine. I don't hear much about it. Any opinions or ideas on it ?? It has the black plastic stock and plastic magazine, really good shape.
    thanks
    too_
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

JUNK....But I will buy it as a parts gun, and the offer is fair. PM me.

LTS
  3. too_pointer

too_pointer New Member

Would you please explain as it is " junk" :confused: What was the problems with it that caused Rem. to stop making them so quickly ? I mostly want to sell or trade to upgrade to a better .22.
    thanks
    Mike
  4. swiftman

swiftman Member

I have one and they are junk. They are lite to carry and thats it. Trigger pull is losy for one. You better never carry it on a sling with the clip in it or drop or fall with it because if the clip is hit hard enough it with break the PLASTIC clip guide and then you are sol. I broke mine twuce and had to order a new part from rem,. You have to grind the old one out with demeral tool the GLUE in new one with good epoxy plus get it positioned where it needs to be. The ammo clip is the best part on the gun. Unfortionatly the part that holds it in the gun is not steel. I doubt you can get this part now. Also this gun will not fire without clip in it. Any orher questions? Mine will only cycke with top quality ammo also. The bargin basment stuff won't work in mine.
  5. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sorry, maybe you've got an exceptional one but I've worked on a few and I'm in the "they're junk" camp.
  6. too_pointer

too_pointer New Member

Thanks for the info, junk is junk ! I have yet to read anything positive about them, and thats what I expected. I going to take mine back out soon and run some different loads through it. I have been offered $150 for it, I might just have to accept that. ;)
    too_
  7. bdub

bdub New Member

I am looking for the bolt return spring for the 522 Viper. Any ideas where to find one? Numrich is sold out and does not have a source for it. Thanks for any assistance.
  8. Joe M

Joe M Member

I would recommend taking that offer. I had one and I have to agree with the others that they truly are junk. I believe the reason Remington stopped making them back in 1994 was the assualt weapons ban (part of the Brady Bill I believe), and that was it for the Viper. Had the ban never taken place I expect Remington would have gotten the kinks worked out of the Viper, but as it was they rushed it into production and that was that. This Viper 522 is one reason many people have sworn off Remington products - including myself.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  9. rjhauser

rjhauser New Member

darn, someone offering 150.00 for it, and I only paid 110.00 for the one I got. I use it only as a last resort barn gun tho......

something when it breaks I ain't out nothing.

take the 150.00 and run
  10. joewayne

joewayne New Member

www.egunparts.com, just ordered one.
    Joe
  11. rjhauser

rjhauser New Member

12. mikld

mikld Active Member

Counterpoint! Seems like for every post about a "junk" gun somebody chimes in with how good theirs is. Well it's my turn. My wife bought me one several years ago (forgot when zactly) and it's been trouble free for several thousand rounds. I keep it clean, don't use it for anything other than shooting, and researched/tested for the ammo it likes best. Only ftf were high vel hollow points. CCI Stingers, Winchester Wildcats, and Rem Yellowjackets were problematic while Win. Super-X std velocity, and CCI Green Tag were the best with good accuracy and no ftf.
  13. gnorman46

gnorman46 New Member

It has been my experience that the viper 522 I purchased has been an outstanding rifle. I have fired many rifles in my life and have torn them down and modified them when needed. 7 years in the Marine Corps and many years doing private security has given me an insight on most firearms. I bought my viper used at a pawn shop and have put down many coyotes with it, I keep it clean and oiled and have had a total of two misfires out of about 5000 rds. I dont think it is junk, it is just a 22 and a pretty good one at that.
  14. big steve

big steve New Member

If you want another Remington you should go with Remington 597 great gun my favorite .22 ever.
  15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Dunno about that, Remington recalled the .17HMR version and they're looking at reported problems with the .22WMR.

The .22lr may be fine, but it sure is raising questions in my head...