Rem. 597mag HB range report

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by bbqznbeer, Nov 19, 2011.

1. bbqznbeer

bbqznbeer New Member

I was rather concerned when I first obtained this unit after too many FTF's mostly due to light rim strikes. I also noticed a felt drag on the bolt when I pulled back and forth on the bolt.
    So, I stripped it down and found the bolt with machining burrs all over it, and the guide rods were also showing machining rings down thier entire length.
    It was easy enough to figure out the next move , deburring the bolt and smoothing out the guide rods.

IMPO , Remington should have checked for this before it left the factory.
    I even sent Remington a friendly e-mail asking if they had an opening in their QC dept....no answer yet ...lol

After all that my 597mag worked flawlessly .
    I went through 100 rds of CCI Maxi mags and 50 rds of Winchester Super X 40gr JHP's with zero probs , even through speedfiring.
    I was shooting at 85yd ( max rifle range distance at my gunclub ) scope set at 7x.
    The scope used is an older Ruko/Hakko 1.5-8 x 20 . Not a well known scope ,but I have another model Ruko on a Lee Enfield No5 carbine that has held up after that rather stout recoil the No5 hands out , so I was quite confident with it...and I also like the sleek profile look it gives to my 597mag.
    The only thing that I would like to see is affordable higher capacity magazines available...

Photos below tell abit more of the story...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One flyer...Hey! , who hit my elbow ???...well OK , shooters bad :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Sir , That is a beautiful gun you have there, i like that stock , is that a original Remmy stock or is it after market?

Thinking about a short barrel .22 mag myself that is magazine fed.
    I have a Marlin .22 mag model 883 that is a tack driver but i want something a little more compact.

Hakko is from Finland right? You know the Finnish only makes quality - beautiful little scope.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Great looking rifle and fine shooting. That will make the local varmints shudder for sure.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

QC is in the toilet now days with almost everything thats priced affordable.

Nice shootn.
  5. bbqznbeer

bbqznbeer New Member

Thx
    The lammy stock is the original Remmy stock.
    Been working an area for 'yotes..no luck yet and it's been cold 'n wet