Rem. 700 SPS Tactical?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Gene Seward, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Does anyone have a 700 Tactical Hogue stock in .223 or .308? If so what is your opinion? I have two Ars in .223 and a DPMS .308 Lite, but would like a bolt gun in .223 that doesn't have much recoil as I have had two back surgeries with all the hardware installed. I thought it might be cool to have a 20 inch heavy barrel bolt gun with about 4x12x50 optics. What do you think? Thanks for all your help.
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Sounds more like a plan Gene, I dont have one myself but have been giving it serious thought. Let me know what you decide and which way you go.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I have one of these in 308. It is a savage not a rem. This is a tack driver. Might as well get the 26" bbl. You can get a nice stock for these rifles. They are heavy but you don't feel them when you shoot them. My daughter shot her first deer with this when she was 10.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FVSS
  4. Airdale

Airdale Member

You might want to check these guys out. They both offer entry level 700 tactical packages.

http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

I ordered one from the above link after I did a lot of research on what it would cost me to do approximatly the same build.

I then found this guy who really seems to take a lot of pride in his work. He offers a package with a blueprinted action with a Shilen barrel and light tactical stock that ought to be a real tack driver for $1250 (after doing a lot of research that's a awesome price).

He also offers packages for less like this one: Remington 700 SPS Tactical Package: Remington 700 SPS Tactical in either .223 Remington or .308 Winchester with 20" heavy barrel, Hogue over molded stock, Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 Tactical scope, Burris XTR two piece base, Burris XTR low rings, Harris 1A2 leg notch bipod, for $925 plus shipping to your FFL. Add a hard case for $40. You could opt for another scope.

Check out his gallery to get an idea of what his work looks like.
    http://www.excorioprecisionarms.com/

As far as barrel length goes a lot of work has been done on that and all you lose with a 20" barrel is about 40 fps in velocity (for the .308).

BTW I have no connection with either of these parties, I just found them after a lot of research on a 700 build. Just thought I might point out some options.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have the Remington 700 SPS Tactical chambered for 308 Win. I have a Leupold 2-7 Rifleman sitting on it and the gun shoots sub MOA groups. Ive shot a few 1/2 MOA groups with this set up. I am hopping to put a better scope on it soon. The scope I am now using is one I had laying around gathering dust.

I am shooting home loads using 168 Sierra Match King HPBT and Varget powder. I have also loaded the same bullet using H4895 powder. I am still working up loads but I am real close to where I want to be.

Oh yeah, this gun was shooting inside MOA using store bought Winchester 150 grain soft points.

Don't let the 20" barrel be of concern. It does not give up enough to matter to the longer barreled rifles. I had some articles comparing short barrel rifles to their longer counter parts and the conclusion was that the short barrel performed as well as the long barrel tactical weapons. I will try to find the links for you and post them here.

OK here you go..............

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/
  6. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks everyone. I think that is my next gun. I will let you know in the next few days.
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Gene,

heres my sps tactical in .308 - threw a b&c stock on it and a burris xtr with leupold rings, egw base, badger bolt knob,and harris bipod. adjusted the x-mark pro trigger to 3.5lbs and she shoots 3/4" moa with my handloads without any bs

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      95.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Great looking gun, 312. How light can you go on the trigger? I don't own a bolt gun right now other than my dad's old .22 I shot as a kid. I like bolt guns, but the last couple of years I have been hung up on semi-auto.. I really wanted a DPMS .260 Lite, but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere. And I do mean anywhere.
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Gene,

I went as light as I could without hassling with the sear engagement screw, I found that I had a sure sear engagement and no safety issues at that setting. This trigger to me is a very crisp clean setup and it puts rounds on target with great accuracy so I couldn't be happier. One complaint I have with the sps tac is indeed that hogue stock - the entire forend is so flexible you can pinch the stock and barrel with thumb and index finger and they make contact, hence the Bell and Carlson stock right off the bat (found it on sale for $299 here http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-&-CARLSON-cln-Varmint-fdsh-Tactical/Categories) for under $600 this is IMHO the best tactical rifle to start with, and yes half of the challenge for me was to put this together with a moderate budget and so I did.

Here's my last target two very distinct groups with factory hornady TAP 168gr (1.125" moa) and bottom group is handloaded 168gr nosler custom comps seated to the lands over 44gr varget, cci standard primers, federal gold metal match brass fire formed and neck sized (3/4" moa)

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  10. Airdale

Airdale Member

With the exception of the scope that is exactly the rifle I ordered even down to the stock color. The first thing I have planned is either a trigger job or a Timney trigger and after the wallet reinflates maybe a DBM. Very encouraged after your target pixs. Think I'm going to be very happy camper.

Thanks for your load info. I'm just in the process of ordering the stuff I need for reloading .308.
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Airdale

I recommend checking out this link and adjust your own factory trigger you may be surprised with the crisp, clean let off.

http://quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

Yeah the scope wasn't what I was looking for at first but came across it for $600, factory new, I couldn't pass.
  12. Airdale

Airdale Member

Thanks for the link.

For that price I wouldn't have been able to pass on the scope either.