Rem 760 Gamemaster Firing with safety on

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mvandyke37, Dec 9, 2012.

1. mvandyke37

mvandyke37 New Member

I was just testing the cycling of bullets through this gun and laid it down. It still had a round in it. Was working on another gun and BOOM, the round in the 760 went off. This was the third time something like this happened although the other times I was at the range and though I hit the trigger inadvertently.
    Can a gunsmith take care of this issue? The safety was on BTW. :eek:

Thanks
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Yes absolutely and your lucky. On the 760 the safety only blocks the trigger, it will not block the hammer nor lock the sear out so what is going on is internal. This can happen from a worn, short or weak sear spring or mismatched or low sear and hammer engagement.
  3. mvandyke37

mvandyke37 New Member

Thanks Helix for the information. I live with my wife and Dog, and, until today, use to have my guns loaded, ready, so to speak. This certainly has made me rethink chambering the weapons and am in process of taking all loads out of all the chambers in my house.
    I will get the 760 to a gunsmith to repair.

Thanks again
  4. mvandyke37

mvandyke37 New Member

I have a Rem 700, 30-06, bought 2 years ago. When using Sierra Matchking .308, 175gr bullets and hornadays Olgive tool, I come up with almost 3.5 OAL for the cartridge. This far exceeds the Max length. Should I just reload the length at .308 bullet depth? This plagues me ever since I got this gun. Can never seem to locate the lands within max cartridge length. Is this common?

Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Don't confuse the listed COAL as a not to exceed length; it is just the spec length. You should not be seating Below this length. You can very safely exceed this lenth up to what your chamber/bullet design/magazine can handle. You will almost never ever locate your lands with a bullet seated to spec length. (if you did, I'd say there was a problem when they reamed the chamber, unless it was custom done)
  6. woolleyworm

I'd also say to get it to a good gunsmith and think about dropping in a new trigger springs, Timney makes a sweet trigger spring kit for the 760.
  7. mvandyke37

mvandyke37 New Member

Thanks woolleyworm
    The Rem 760 that fired inadvertently, as mentioned above, would come in at 80.6 mm or 3.17" of COAL!! So I was sizing down ammo to fit this gun, and sizing up ammo, to fit the Rem 700, 30-06.
    I hate to have two different sizes of ammo, but can't seem to get around w/o selling my "possessed gun".
    As for the Rem 700, (longer than spec COAL gun), the problem arises when the bullet protrudes to far out the neck, (maybe???)
    That is why I thought to seat the bullet in the neck at least .308", (that's what I recently read somewhere).
    I mean, if the bullet is only seated in the neck 1-2mm, I assume this could cause problems?
    So, the 760 is off to a gunsmith, and the 700 is operating fine with long COAL's issues. I am using IMR4350 at 55 grains, 2275C Sierra Bullets, .308.
    I have 200 rounds with powder but have not seated the bullets yet.

Thanks for your advise, I should be paying ya all.
    My Location: 40 miles North of Hell on earth. (can you guess?)
  8. woolleyworm

9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yoy must live 40 miles out of chicago.
  10. mvandyke37

mvandyke37 New Member

Hint #2
    gvw3 wrong answer....
    "40 miles north of Hell on earth"
    The product of Chicago resides there......