rem 7mm mag bullet

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunte567, Oct 16, 2011.

1. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

What is the bullet to use for hunting for a rem 7mm mag. I hunt a highline and have up to a 600yd shot. I was using a balistic tip but anything under 150yds it seems to be to fast and is not exploding on impact. Thanks, Neil
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I have a 700 in 7 mag and have always used Nosler Partitions, 160 grain. Different members of my family have used the gun for over 20 years and have killed over 20 moose and probably over 100 caribou. I have over 800 empty pieces of brass that I have saved. I use Barnes X bullets in all my other guns but the N.P.s in the 7 mag; why change a good thing? My son did kill a bull at 750-800 yards about 12 years back, I picked up the brass and helped pack the moose out. He told me he shot 5-6 feet over the moose, hit it second shot. I know my loads drop 28 inches at 500 yards. Noslers often go right through caribou, but I always find the bullet inside the hide on back side of moose so it goes all the way through but never punches out through the hide.

We have had quite alot of success with the noslers but all my friends load Barnes X bullets so I guess it's my current fad but I often consider going back to Nosler partitions with my 30-378. I used 210 Nos parts in my 338 fed this season and both wife and I and then my nephew killed moose with the gun and a few caribou. I like the AR-10 actually. I hadn't had the time to load up my own ammo so bought a few boxes and they came with N.P.s

Try them noslers out, been around a long time and I think they are just as good as Barnes bullets myself. My 2 cents.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I only use two bullets in my 7 mag loads. The Nosler 140 grn BT and the Rem 140 grn Corelokt. Never had any problems with either one.
  4. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

The 7 mag seems to be on of the calibers that can shoot alot of differant bullets.I have had good luck with Barnes and Nosler.The one I have settled with for now is the 168 Berger.I have shot an inch group out to 400 meters and it works great on game up to moose size animals.
  5. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Thanks for the reply, what about on shots under 150yrd any problems on blood trail.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My gun seems to prefer the heavier bullets, 160 and 165 gr and I have a box of 175 gr that is pretty accurate but not up to the 160. My favored bullets have been Remington Core-Lokt and BTSP for up close and personal and long range. I'm not sure how that weight would work in your gun at the 500-600 yard ranges but you might want to give it a try.

No personal experience but I have read reports about the Core-Lokt Ultra bullet being good on game out to 500 yards (tested). It could be another choice to try.

Where I live now my shooting is pretty much under 300 yards and most of my ammo is SP bullets of various brands but the optimum weight for me is still the 160 or 165 gr bullets. Never shot them long range so I can't advise on their effectiveness at extreme ranges.
  7. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

.I have the Berger going around 2900 fps and it has opened up from under 100 yards out to 500 yards on a caribou .I have so far never had to have to luck for a blood trail,but the damage that was done would have left one easy to follow
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

7 mag doesn't put an exit hole like a 30-378. I have had deer back east go 100 yards after poor hit shooting at deer 200 yards away breaking across corn fields in drives.

Have killed a couple elk with no probs

We have never lost a moose with 7 mag, but moose have huge kill zone, go down pretty easy.

Only got into 30-378 for longer shots across the River or I'd still be with the 7 mag.
  9. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

I was looking into the 30-378, but picked up a 300 ultra mag instead.What bullet are you using with it and kind of speed are you getting?Moose are funny.I have seen a 270 drop them and had a guy use a 375 H&H and the bull went 100yards with his heart cut in half.He was chasing a cow during the rut and did not know he was dead
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Reason I have the 30-378, a buddy had one and his brother had a 338-378. The argued like ford & chevy over these two calibers. These guys go to Africa every year, but the one brother bought a cabin in our rural community and I started hunting with him some. Anyway, he badgered me until I bought one. I got a good used one for $1000 on a macmillan stock and trigger worked on. At 100 yards holds half inch 3 shot group pretty consistent. So it's my long range gun. I like the ultra mags just as much too, just started with 30-378.

I use Barnes TTSX 180's and last 100 rounds I loaded 100 grains RL-22 with 215's. A local guy with program said I was getting 3300, but I have never checked it myself. It sure knocks those caribou for a loop though. When I jump outta the truck and pop a big bull right off the road; it knocks them back like no other gun I have, no joke.

I've had Indian neighbors who kept like 15 horses and the moose would come in and bother their horses. Stella would shoot a few moose every year with an old 243. I saw her shoot 30 moose over the years and none run off. I've never lost a moose myself, guess just lucky, but I do believe your chances of losing a deer are greater than a moose.

Our moose are much bigger than the moose I saw in Ontario. My buddy claims our caribou have much nicer racks than anywhere in Eastern Canada. I just shoot them when they show up every August.

Wife and I originally from western Pa, been in Alaska 20 years, living on the Yukon kinda rural a dozen years. Couldn't imagine life anywheres else actually. I'm watchin Pens/Jets on Center Ice right now and we still watch all the Steeler games on dir tv. WE even watch west Pa high school sports on dir tv.
  11. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

My dream is to move to Alaska but my wife doe'nt like the cold. One day Im going to try and make a hunt there. Thanks for the info
  12. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

I have my ultra mag going almost 3400.I bet yours is going better than that
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

You guys ever get to thinking about Ak, I couldn't live anywhere's else; no regrets and been here 20 years; just wish I had come up when I first got out of the military in early 70's rather than when I was in mid 30's. Still, I'm here and life is good.

Pagrizz, Ya I got to get my own chrono. I haven't been to a public range or club in 25-30 years, just have my own bench and 100 yard range on back porch. I probably spent 5 gran on reloading junk last year, will get a chrono this winter. What part of Pa ya from?

[​IMG]
  14. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

I'm right where Delaware and Maryland come together or six months the rest of the year Im in Maine.