Rem. 870, can't throw it away.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by roadkingsteve, Jul 23, 2012.

1. roadkingsteve

roadkingsteve New Member

I bought some things from an estate sale. Thrown in at no cost to me was a Rem. 870 Express Super Magnum w/a 24" bbl. Looks like junk.....it's horrible.
    I think it was in a flood (New Orleans area) but no internal rust and the bore cleaned up well. I think it was in a gun case with foam egg crate and the "water" stewed it. It looks like it has been "camo'ed" but I think that is the result of the egg crate foam.

To top that, if you can, it looks like someone used a knife or a file to scrape the crap off of it. Scrapes and scratches all over the barrel and receiver. It has a composite stock and that survived the ordeal. It functions and fires well. I can't just throw it away.

Any ideas? Or suggestions? Maybe paint it? Or camo it? I have a nice new barrel for it but it needs more than that!

Thanks, Steve

Attached Files:

2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Camo dipping believe it or not will cover much of that. just make sure whoever does it knows what the heck they are doing. inexperienced dippers can ruin a gun just like what you have now but internal. i have a t bolt that was ruined beyond that and much of the blems are hard to see now
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    found a model 60 marlin like that years ago.i sanded and steel wooled all metal parts and used a high heat header paint to paint all parts.i heated all parts with a heat gun before painting and before that used denatured alcohol to wipe off all parts,numerous times.do not touch with fingers.i then steel wooled all parts with 00 steel wool and repainted with same heat.i have had this rifle for years and it still looks good.cheap fix. old semperfi
  4. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

wow thats a shame. do anything you can to revive it! 870's are unbeatable shotguns. i'd consider getting it dipped.
  5. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

6. roadkingsteve

roadkingsteve New Member

That video was doing the stock, is it the same for the metal parts?

Do you think maybe my 870 was a camo job gone bad or am I right about the flood? Maybe someone tried to scrape off the bad camo?

Don't know anyone around here that does camo dipping, but I'll look.

Thanks, Steve
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Trade fodder. Someone at a gun show will have grand plans for that.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Find someone who hunts the salt marshes; that is just the kind of gun he wants since what salt water can do to it has already been done.

Jim
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Usually they are ruined internally. its possible it was a dip job gone bad
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cerakote it!
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I already have 3 or I would buy it from you; some aggressive steel wool and elbow grease along with some cold blue would be adequate I would think, Brownells had tons of bluing chemicals and prep stuff. She'll be just fine!

My old wingmaster got some pretty bad pitting rust on the receiver when I was deployed but she looks good now. Fires perfect.

I would invest in some new springs for the internals (magazine tube and trigger assembly), pretty cheap and will be good insurance. Looks like a nice hunting gun, don't have to worry about it rusting!

A nice camo paint job would be pretty sweet though also...
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

has tons of bluing... sorry...
  13. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

The answer to that shotgun is "Armoloy". I had a .22 long rifle revolver that had an armoloy plating, and you could let that revolver sit in a tub of salt water and it would not hurt it. Armoloy plating is 0.0002 of an inch or about one fourth the thickness of a human hair. It has an equivalent hardness in excess of 78 Rockwell C, which makes it one of the hardest things on planet earth. www.armoloyftworth.com
  14. H-D

H-D Active Member

What are you going to do with the old barrel ? Let me know if you want to get rid of it, I have a bare 870 receiver I am going to build up
  15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

16. roadkingsteve

roadkingsteve New Member

Does anyone know where I can get that camo "dip stuff"?? I did a search and came up with some "kits" but does anyone of a brand name or if one is better than the other.
    This shotgun is an ideal candidate for me to try something I've never done. As it is, it will be the "behind the truck seat" gun. So if I screw up a camo job it will still be a "behind the truck seat gun".
    As far as cold bluing goes the scratches are pretty bad it would take VERY aggressive sanding and steel wool.

Thanks for the help, Steve
  17. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

I'd blast it and put on a baked on finish , GunKote or Teflon-Moly , Ceracote , or whatever . They are all superior to bluing , in durability !
  18. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

If you would like me to, I'll ask my friend if he'd like to do this for you.

I know he dips everything from hard hats to Mustang GT steering wheels. He also does some of his own guns. I've seen his work, it's beautiful.I plan on having him do some stuff for me in the near future.

Drop me a PM with your info and I'll see if he's up for it.