rem.model 788 243 carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by biged, Oct 29, 2006.

1. biged

biged New Member

I was wondering if anyone would know about how much this gun is worth? it is a remington model 788 243 carbine with the weatherby bolt it has a metal clip that holds 3 round's and is a hell of a shooting gun wouldn't get rid of it for the world so if any one would know in a round about way what it is worth please let me know i have $600.00 in it was wondering if i got scewed
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

According to Guns and Prices a model 788 in
    Exc. Shape $500
    Good Shape $375
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey BigEd! Take heart!

Not ONLY are the books not ALWAYS right (the BEST way to find value nowadays is NOT the "Blue Book," but is to watch the AUCTIONS on line and monitor what your specific model sells for generally....some guns are worth more in different areas of the country than others...and since on-line auctions started, buyers from all OVER are looking and bidding, not just "local guys" walking into a shop! For example, a .30-06 probably WON'T sell that quickly even at a good price in a "shotgun only" state, like Indiana or Ohio, but would be in DEMAND in PA or out west.....)but it CAN only go UP in value, right?:D

You said you wouldn't give it up for the world, so take my advice...check back here on it in a year or two and ask the same question and you'll fell BETTER about the price you paid.....GUARANTEED! :p

Unless you miss a shot and then break it over a rock or wrap it around a tree or let it rust all to heck, or drop it overboard your canoe or something, it can ONLY be worth MORE then....;)
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

That's exactly right Polish a gun is only worth as much or as little as someone else is willing to pay
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

And while I have sold MANY guns for what at the time were "GREAT prices" that I now am kicking myself over....:mad:

I ALSO own several that are "Priceless.....":D :p

But I understand where BigEd is coming from, while I would NEVER sell the "tRusty '97," I'm not adverse to checking every show just to see what takedown Model '97 Riot Guns are going for nowadays....

But be CAREFUL even then...not that you might SELL it, but SOMEDAY you just might realize "is it REALLY worth THAT MUCH????:eek: " and no longer want to go out and USE it......

Sometimes it DOES pay to be "Fat, Dumb, and HAPPY!":p :p :p

I'm SURE my wife's Grandpa would be hunting with the '97 if he was still alive, so I KNOW even when it's worth a grand or so someday, somewhere he will be smiling even if it's getting banged around in the truck, or getting rained on, or getting scratched a little more in the briars, if I use it to take ANOTHER deer....:)
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006