Rem Oil - new formulation?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dcriner, Jun 22, 2012.

1. dcriner

dcriner Member

It now has "Moisture Guard," rust preventative. It also has Teflon, which may or may not be a new ingredient?

Does anybody know about this?
  2. dcriner

dcriner Member

Additional info: Remington's website lists both the original RemOil and the new "RemOil with Moisture Guard": http://www.remington.com/product-fa...are-families/cleaning-chemicals-and-oils.aspx

For each of the two RemOil products, you can click on the Material Safety Data Sheet to see the ingredients. The new formulation has several additional additives, including what I suppose are the mosture barrier and the teflon (hard to tell from the chemical descriptions). I'm thinking that Remington is introducing the new formulation to better compete with CLP and Barricade?

But, anyway, the new formulation would still seem to be based on the original RemOil as its primary ingredient? What do you think? I've been using RemOil (original) for quite a while with good success - it's essentially a pure lubricating oil with no other additives.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like rem oil.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I used it for years and still do from time to time. But IMO, for an outter protection on a gun, well, a person can go thrugh alot of it quick if your constantly using the firearm.
  5. Zane71464

...reckon I should have read more thoroughly! :eek:
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Severfal years ago I began doing a search for what the consensus was on the "best" gun lube. At that time Eezox was claimed by the vast majority of articles and blogs to be the best. Now Eezox is rarely mentioned. Was the old assessment just hype?

I never did try Eezox myself, using Balistol for awhile then CLP until I discovered SBGO here. Since then I've used a combination of CLP for a quick cleaning/lube and SBGO for more thorough lubrication. I'm not sure how much hype there is to the raves about SBGO. I don't believe the main marketing point about the 13% pig fat content striking fear into the hearts of muslims is anything more than a gimmick, but as oils go, it seems to be about the best I've used. I must admit questioning if a grease rather than an oil should be used to lube slide rails of semi autos though.

As for RemOil, I've never even tried it, but if this new stuff contains teflon it might be worth a try. I seem to recall that the old RemOil wasn't considered to be all that great for moisture protection
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  7. Zane71464

Agreeing with Running here, as of late (around the last several months) CLP and SBGO
    is pretty much all I use or an inside cleaning/friction help and and lube.
  8. ozo

ozo Active Member

Hoppes, Outers, got bottles i've had for a while.....
    pretty good stuff for gun oil, but it's just oil....so to speak.
    SBGO is much better than all I have used, not that I still don't use
    the others sometimes......
    THE REASON......I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING Midnite Rider.......
    THE BOTTLE !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am actually using the other oil to get it empty so I can put the
    SBGO in the Hoppes or Outers bottle, because the oil is OK and I
    can't bring myself to just throw it away.
    The flip-top SBGO bottle always has a small mess running down to the neck
    and it somewhat irritates me to waste it.....
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Good point Ozo. What I don't like about the SBGO bottle is the silver painted caps. That silver will come off and end up sticking to your gun, and it's a pain to get off. There's no need of making the bottle pretty, I only care how the stuff inside works.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I put all my SBGO in surgical lookin needle oilers
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I can't vouch for the new stuff, but the Rem oil I got in a can is a dust magnet. In my safe. :eek:

Plus, it'll make yer paper shredder go BOOM if ya spray it while running. :eek: BIG Boom.

Don't ask. :rolleyes:
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

:D But Bob...I gotta ask.:lmao2: That'll teach ya...you shoulda used SBGO on your shredder.;)
  13. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

used the rem oil w teflon for a bit ,, seemed ok ,, but had several guns in safe for about a year and they were all dry and gummy,,, never had this problem with other oils,, now use KROIL the best stuff have ever use