Remage Hybrid build (range report update)

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JLA, Dec 20, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got the call from Jim Briggs yesterday afternoon. My barrel and recoil lug will be here thrusday. That gives me 2 days to get the action ready for it and if all goes well I'll be shooting this monster friday morning.

I thought some of you guys might like to see how a semi custom rifle build goes. So here we go. Ill document it every step of the way and do my best to explain what im doing.

Step 1 is to remove the factory barrel from the action. They make barrel vices for this purpose, but i find a heavy mechanics vice on my homemade floor stand gives me more leverage. I do use the barrel vice blocks and powdered rosin for rem 700s.

Tools you need to debarrel an action are simple.. Wheeler action wrench 2 (for rem 700s and savages) some masking tape, an adjustable wrench, a hammer, the oak barrel blocks and powdered rosin and the vice, and of course your barreled action. The set up below is how I do rem 700s. Savages require a bit of a different setup.

Remington is notorious for putting their barrels on with about a million ft lbs of torque so you gotta smash the blocks in there good and dont be stingy with the rosin. Once you have it all set up and youre ready to remove the barrel give it a good shove and see if it will break lose. It probably wont so this is where the hammer comes in. just give the end of the handle on the action wrench a good sharp blow. I used a 15 oz ball peen, a 3 lb sledge would have been a better choice.

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Re: Remage Hybrid build

The reason for the masking tape is so the action wrench doesnt mar the action. You gotta clamp it in there tight and it will remove the finish if you dont put something between it.

Some guys use brass shims. I find a couple layers of masking tape work well.

Once you have the barrel off the action its time to clean it up. I used carb cleaner and rem oil to degrease and degunk, and a couple brass wire brushes to clean the barrel threads in the action and the action face.

Also i took a couple of before pics of the lugs in the action. you cant really see them because they are finished the same as the action, but itll give you a comparison for the after results when I lap them.

Attached Files:

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Then I took the action to the bench to look it over real close.

I disassembled the bolt with my trusty homemade rem 700 bolt disassembly tool and got it set up for lapping. You never want to lap an assembeld bolt, especially with a lapping fixture like the brownells fixute I have. You need the ejector out and the firing pin out. you dont want that pin inadvertently getting dropped on the hardened steel pusher on the fixture, one of the 2 will break and it prolly wont be the fixture.

Notice how the lugs brighten as they are lapped. Im looking for even removal across the entire width and length of the lugs. You want at least 80% contact. I lapped these to 100%.

Attached Files:

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Watch the back of the lugs brighten as lapping removes the factory finish. (if the bolt was stainless to start you would use layout fluid on each pass)

Attached Files:

5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And finally a shot from the inside to show the lugs in the reciever show full engagement as well.

Attached Files:

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And this is where im at now.

I am going to take a chance on this action and not do much more than lap the lugs square to the barrel threads. It shot sub MOA with the factory barrel to begin with. It just had a problem with heat related stringing. If I fired a shot every 5 minutes it would put a whole box of factory rem corelokt into a 3/4" group at 100 yds and I had it shooting 1/2 MOA with handloads in HDY brass. Anyhow, all im doing is cleaning it up and lapping the lugs, then im going to adjust the trigger down and anxiously await the barrel.

My hopes is for another 1/4 MOA shooter that i can shoot a string of 10 fairly quickly without heat related stringing.

The stock Im using for this build is a hogue pillar bed stock with a bull barrel channel. I am going to epoxy bed the lug to the stock and ensure the barrel is floated with at least .100" clearance.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Much more to come. ;)
  8. Airdale

Airdale Member

Very Cool. How about some details on the build?

Thanks for the pics (looking forward to more). I've been delayed because I didn't get the 1/4" machine screw with my wrench. Drove 40 miles yesterday when the guy in town would only sell me 100 of 'em at a time but I finally ended up with three just in case I lose one.

Good to know Jim's in 'cause I haven't been able to get ahold of him and he didn't return my call. Just want to make sure of the proper proceedure so I don't screw up the action. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Details..

Rem 700 action converted to Savage barrel nut
    .243 winchester, CBI hand lapped match grade 8 twist 26" varmint contour w/ 11* crown
    Hogue Varmint stock in forrest green, pillar bedded.
    Nikon 4.5-14X40 w/ BDC in a DNZ Gamereaper
    And topped off with one of Jons handmade slings.

I have done the savages airdale. Feel free to PM me. They are easier than the rem 700s.
  10. Airdale

Airdale Member

Thanks alot, that's really a relief. If I can't get him in the morning I'll be sending you a PM.

Anxious to see how the "Remage" turns out.

Thanks agian JLA.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No sweat Airdale. It would be my pleasure to talk you thru the process. Theres really nuttn to it.
  12. H-D

H-D Active Member

Awesome I cant wait for Thursday
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

me either. im jonezin over here..
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Todays efforts consisted of debarreling the savage to use the action ring as a guide for cutting the recoil lug key hole. I photographed the process for you guys.

Attached Files:

15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I also ordered a new recoil lug for the savage too so I need it apart anyway. And while i had both torn down i went ahead and slightly countersunk all the screw holes in the action so theres no chance of a bur effecting the scope bases or the bedding, and also so theres no chance of cross threading an action/scope base screw. (I.E. it wasnt really necessary but i was bored and am just justifying it..;))

made a quick template off the savage action, then stuck it to the rem action and cut the key notch CAREFULLY with my dremel. I made the cut iundersized and finished it with a file. ill finish it completely when the recoil lugs get here tomorrow. Ill have to address the savage key hole too, its a little out of square.

Attached Files:

16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cutting the recoil lug key is best done by a 'smith on a mill. But I have about 10 years experience messing stuff up with a dremel so I was rather comfortable taking the job on.

Just be careful if you decide to take a job like this on with a dremel. With an action you only get 1 shot, screw up and its new gun time..

And I must stress the importance of undercutting the hole and finishing with a file.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I also prepped the stock for the bedding at the recoil lug. I take pics of that tomorrow when i get set up to do it.
  18. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Josh, silly questions. On the first set of pics it looks like the barrel is in the vice and on the next to the last set, it looks like the action is in the vice.

Do you tighten the vice on the receiver or the barrel?

If you tighten the vise on the barrel, what did you use to keep from marring the barrel and keep it from turning in the vice?

Is that where the wood blocks come in and how did you make the wood hold the barrel?

What is powdered rosin and how is it used?

Which way do you turn the action? To the right or to the left?

Sorry for all the questions, but in the next couple of months I am going to attempt to remove an M1 barrel form its receiver and really don't know how to start. I do not own any "gunsmithing" tools. I will probably be using a big vice and pipe wrench or a great big old railroaders adjustable wrench.

I am finding this thread educational.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Also George, having just re-read your questions, the next to last set of pics in post #14 I was pulling the barrel on my savage. The first set of pics I was pulling the barrel on my remington. Its the same general procedure except on a savage you have a barrel nut and barrel nut wrench so you clamp the action wrench with the barreled action in it into the vice and turn the barrel nut to loosen the barrel.

Factory rem 700s dont have a barrel nut, the barrel is shouldered and jammed intot he recoil lug and reciever really tight. so to remove one of those you have to clamp the barrel in a pair of barrel blocks with some powdered rosin and turn the action to loosen.

I much prefer the savage way of barreling and setting headspace, but I much prefer the rem 700 action over the savage action, hence the reason Im doing the remage conversion on my fav rem 700 so i can have the best of both in a sweet shootn rig.