Remember me

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by RunningOnMT, Oct 19, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Is there any way to make this site remember my user name even though I close my browser, so I don't have to sign in completely each time? It used to.

It's funny, some sites I go to wont remember me, others will as long as I don't clear cookies or reboot, but with a rare few all I have to do is click on the user name window at the sign in screen and my user name and password appears, even if I have rebooted. It woud be great if TFF did that.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

check remember me under where you sign in ..
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's the way it works for me too.
  4. holyjake79

holyjake79 New Member

I checked the remember me box and it works for me.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Hmm. I check remember me every time I log in but it doesn't. :mad:
  6. Chinook

Chinook New Member

It is something with your browser Im sure. I have the same problem as you, not here, but on my Email, and Photobucket accounts... Something is amiss, and I wish I knew why! Even when I check the little box, and IE will bring up a prompt, that says, "Would you like Internet Explorer to remember this information for you?" "Yes, or No?" I always click YES, and still, nothing ever changes! Hahahaha! I guess Ill suffer til I figure it out!
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

You may have a corrupt cookie. Go to the following link, check each box, then click the "Delete My Cookies" button. Close your browser completely, open it again, come back to TFF and log in, checking the box to "Remember Me".

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/mycookies.php
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Did that several times but it still wont remember me. I think it's in my settings somewhere...now to find where.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

your browser may be set to block the cookies , see if theres a place to add a "exception" and allow cookies in there to here
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Nope Jack, that isn't it. My windows is set to accept cookies and my cache is loaded with them after browsing awhile. I do have a theory about this but can't prove it.

I have a 4 1/2 year old Dell computer using Windows XP. I am constantly getting prompts to upgrade my browser to the latest IE, but the latest isn't compatible with XP. In order to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 I'd practically have to rebuild my entire computer, so I'm trying to hold out just a bit longer before building or buying a new pc. I mean hell, my old pentium III running Windows 98 lasted 12 years.

As the useful life of that computer was coming to a close I noticed more and more things stopped working correctly. Once Microsoft stopped supporting the software it seemed that problems cropped up. My suspicion is that MS may actually be setting these obsolete systems to fail by causing files to become corrupted, possibly via the common software being used by various websites. I may be FOS but I've seen this kind of thing too often.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

seen it here too , .dll's overwritten to not work until you upgrade .. modern marketing eh ?? like a gun at your head

i'm sticking with XP ..
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well, I think The problem is fixed. I did some research and found that this is a known issue with Internet Explorer 8 particularly on pc's running XP. So, I tried to uninstall IE8 but couldn't...it didn't give me that option.

More research and learned that if service pack 3 was installed after IE8 you have to uninstall it first, then uninstall IE8, then reinstall servicepack 3. Then I realized that removing IE8 takes you back to IE6. Because many sites now don't work well with IE6, you have to upgrade to IE7. So the whole process was rather time consuming (about 4 hours).

The good news is that after logging in here I rebooted my computer. When I came back I was still logged in. Hope this helps if anyone else has experienced this problem.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and another reason i use chrome and firefox, hope it works for you ..